Autumn colors 2020 - Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by emery, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning, most of my leaves are now on the ground, but here are a few that are holding on. Not sure if they will survive this weekends gales.

Happy Halloween everybody and keep safe.

Attached Files:

ROEBUK, AlainK, zfrittz and 1 other person like this.
  2. Acerholic

Well I knew the wind would take it's toll and so coming to an end for another year only three with sparse leaves to show. Lovely blue sky first thing but now clouding over ready for another storm. Red Flash, Emerald lace and Green dissectum.
    Red flash 207.JPG Emerald lace 207.JPG Green dissectum 207.JPG
    Could be a long Winter in more ways !!!!!

ROEBUK, dicky5ash, emery and 3 others like this.
  3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Unknown, from seed. Looks more like palmatum var. matsumurae than palmatum or amoenum :

acerp-div_201101a.jpg

Seedlings, a few of them labelled, some from different origins with no label, collected here and there, some plain palmatum from seeds taken in my garden and put as 5 to 10 bunches in the same cup for lack of plastic pots in the spring :

acerp-div_201101b.jpg

ROEBUK, zfrittz, dicky5ash and 4 others like this.
  4. Acerholic

A few minutes ago this is my friends Sangu Kaku, 45 years old and beautiful every year. He never does a thing to it. He said, "hope you all enjoy it".
    IMG_20201101_105416482.jpg

ROEBUK, zfrittz, kbguess and 3 others like this.
  5. Acerholic

Another friend this afternoon, their Tamukyama just dropping it's leaves but looking rather nice. Yes I know this is a very common maple everywhere, but there is a good reason it's popular to buy. It performs and performs all year.
    IMG_20201101_110946803.jpg

ROEBUK, zfrittz, Nik and 2 others like this.
  6. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

Only a few of my shira 'Aureum' look like those in first & 2nd pictures so I pulled them and photographed together
    I wish the whole tree would look like those

3rd is a mix of 'Aureum' and leaves from unnamed seedling
    4th is a mix of maples

Maples fall 2020 014.JPG Maples fall 2020 016.JPG Maples fall 2020 015.JPG Maples fall 2020 022.JPG

zfrittz, Nik, AlainK and 5 others like this.
  7. Acerholic

@kbguess good evening Keith, the wonderful textures and colours of Aureum displayed beautifully. I love close ups !!!!

8. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Here is my daughter's Acer palmatum 'Beni Sazanami’, one of several I helped her choose earlier this year from Dinter Nursery in Duncan, BC. What a beauty! I think we made a good choice - another with my favourite green-yellow-orange-red leaf combo.

In the background, you can see brand-new Acer griseum, Acer palmatum ‘Red Bamboo’ (‘Beni Otake’), and Acer palmatum ‘Orangeola’. She's also got an Acer palmatum 'Shishigashira' and A. p. 'Waterfall' in pots.

Obviously, my daughter and her husband love Japanese maples . . . who knows where this may end?

Attached Files:

ROEBUK, zfrittz, Nik and 6 others like this.
  9. Acerholic

Your turn next Margot, it is very contagious this Maple thing !!!!!!

Lovely choices !!!

10. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Some nice colours on Orido Nishiki, Red Pygmy, Emerald lace and a poor photo of Shishigashira.. think that’s me pretty much done..just a few others hanging on for dear life during these intense winds!

Attached Files:

ROEBUK, zfrittz, opusoculi and 6 others like this.
  11. dicky5ash

I popped into a private nursery on the weekend that tends to have some fairly interesting cultivars from time to time..I was shocked to see that someone had pollarded ALL of their 3 foot JM..because they “make a mess” in their greenhouse..

12. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

Some are still holding on to their leaves but most are almost bare. Pictures are of Azuma murasaki, Shidava gold, Aureum and Ojishi from this morning.

Attached Files:

ROEBUK, zfrittz, Nik and 5 others like this.
  13. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I really like the late fall pictures, less spectacular, but a very natural and disheveled beauty.

@dicky5ash that 'Emerald Lace' is really pretty. it used to be rather common but has been pushed out by the more fashionable: too bad. I think I need to get one.

I wonder if your nursery was grafting from the pollarded plants, that's the most common reason for doing it. You get long vigorous shoots that are perfect for use as scions. The mother plant looks pretty bad though, talk about a bad haircut!

14. dicky5ash

@emery that photo of the Emerald Lace is poor but it has grown out nicely over 7/8 years, it’s now 7foot wide and about 4 foot tall..it’s sat in a 4foot old galvanised oval bath..which it likes very much lol. I’m not sure if all Emerald Lace grow in the same form but mine has a very noticeable horizontal growth pattern.

Re the pollarding..I chatted with the assistant..no intent for propagation

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  15. Acerholic

Good afternoon, this is late for me to post photos, but the reason is that when we woke this morning and opened our curtains, to our horror a neighbours fence panel had become a kite through the night and landed in our garden. Damage to my Shishigashira that was flattened and others that needed surgery meant a fair amount of work. But at the end all not to bad in the circumstances and the sun came out for me to take a few photos to share. My Sister ghost and Autumn gold really cheered me up.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

Nearly all gone, but what you have M and the wonderful photos you have posted has certainly given me some cheer today.

17. Acerholic

What wind that was R, but if that's it from you this season then a big thanks from me for these today and all the pleasure you have given to the maples forum from Northampton in 2020. Hope there are some bare bones for you to photograph soon.

18. Nik

Nik Contributor

A small tree that I pass by every morning on my way to work. I don’t know what maple it is. The colors look interesting.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

@Nik good evening N, lovely colours of I believe Acer platanoides or Norway maple. Looks wonderful glowing in the sun.

20. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

Good evening D, sorry to hear the winds caused damage to some of your trees. Your garden still looks very lush looking at your pictures. I like your starfish!

21. Acerholic

Thanks M, had a few sad moments today, but all sorted with some creative pruning Lol. Not many leaves left now so everything coming to an end for 2020. But perhaps we will all be glad to say goodbye to this year !!!! Only four and a half months and counting to Spring, Lol.

MapleMO likes this.
  22. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Goodness D, I'm glad the damage wasn't worse! Sounds like a near thing. Will the 'Shishigashira' recover? I hope so.

From a couple of days ago, here is A. buergerianum f. integrifolium 'Nokoribo'
    IMG_20201026_162543_v1.jpg IMG_20201026_162600_v1.jpg

In this morning's rain and wind I had a hard time capturing 'Shishigashira', but a couple of shots weren't blurry!
    IMG_20201101_165941_v1.jpg IMG_20201101_170337_v1.jpg

And this evening things calmed down, though the temperatures are dropping, to photograph A. schneiderianum, very early this year.
    IMG_20201102_175408_v1.jpg IMG_20201102_175454_v1.jpg IMG_20201102_175508_v1.jpg

Nik, AlainK, ROEBUK and 3 others like this.
  23. Acerholic

Yes E it will recover but some lovely branches now gone. Will enjoy yours instead !!! Btw yours is glowing, 'lovely'.
    I'm really not familiar with A. schneiderianum, so an interesting one to view, it looks a very strong and robust tree with a lovely shape that looks ideal for the smaller garden and obviously copes well with the droughts of a French Summer and Autumnal winds.
    I think this week will see the end of the colours for a lot of us. But what an Autumn, however difficult everything else has been!!!!

24. dicky5ash

thanks D..I meant that’s it in terms of having leaves to share!

Acerholic likes this.
  25. dicky5ash

D..Just catching up on the thread..sorry to hear about the fence panel OMG..hope all is ok