Maple trees

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Vinícius prado, Oct 31, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Vinícius prado

Vinícius prado New Member

Hello, I'm vinicius from Brazil, I have some maple trees. Right now it is spring here and they are starting to grow but my red maple (Acer rubrum) and trident maple (Acer buergerianum) have been had some issues in some new leaves.
    Does anyone have any idea if this can be caused by Mites or fungal diseases or something else?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Vinícius prado good evening Vinicius and welcome to the maples forum. Looking at you photos I believe your trees are suffering from a problem called Anthracnose, this is a fungal disease that can attack during wet conditions in Spring. Spraying with a copper based fungacide is the best option, plus good plant health care. When the weather warms and is dryer the problem will recede, but leaves that are affected should be removed and destroyed. Do not allow any to lay on the soil as this can cause the return. Do not compost them either.
    I cannot see any evidence of Aphids or Mites.
    Hope this points you in the right direction.

AlainK and Vinícius prado like this.
  3. Vinícius prado

thanks @Acerholic the same happened last spring, tomorrow I will spray copper fungicide on them.

Acerholic likes this.
  4. Acerholic

Good idea, if it were me I would remove the infected leaves and destroy now. As it is only a few it will not cause any detriment to your maple. Another application of the copper based fungacide early next Spring should sort the problem out.
    Good luck and please update the forum on your progress.

Vinícius prado likes this.
  5. Vinícius prado

sure I will let you know how it goes :)

6. Vinícius prado

@Acerholic today some leaves of red maple were like this :/
    I removed them, and applied copper three days ago

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

@Vinícius prado good afternoon, to me that does look like Anthracnose, so the spraying will do the job. Destroy any leaves that appear infected and the second flush should all be fine. This spraying is a preventative not a cure for already infected leaves etc.

8. Vinícius prado

I've read some articles about it and most of them say that applying mancozeb fungicide is also a good treatment, what do you think about it?

9. Acerholic