Appreciation: Westonbirt 23/10/2020

Discussion in 'Maples' started by dicky5ash, Oct 24, 2020.

1. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

A truly magnificent place, well worth travelling a long way to see. I spent nearly 8 hours walking round and maybe covered off 50%. The area called Silkwood was unbelievable, every corner you think it can't get better but it did. Weather was overcast, some sun late on just before I had to leave. I took these photos with a Nikon D3100, set on auto..Im a novice with cameras. Worth viewing on a laptop to see their best. Enjoy:

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@dicky5ash good morning R, we were thinking about you all day yesterday and wondering if the weather was holding out for you and it seems it did. So glad you had a great time, we love Silk Wood also, hope you manged to get over the other side where the older varieties are planted.,
    You said at the end of your post 'enjoy' and we really have. Can't stop looking at them.

'THANKYOU' R

dicky5ash likes this.
  3. dicky5ash

Few more

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples, emery, AlainK and 3 others like this.
  4. Acerholic

Just to add in October 2024 the International Maple Symposium is due to be held at Westonbirt. As a 'Maple Society' member it's already provisionally in my diary. Could be a fantastic way for everyone to meet up and enjoy the sights !!!?

emery and dicky5ash like this.
  5. dicky5ash

If Westonbirt was say in the US, I believe it would be well worth the expense and effort..I’d probably do it in 3 visits..and then go to other nearby places in the afternoon..Stow, the Wolds and Bibury etc being so close it would work. I’m going to become a member it’s £39 or £15 per visit..and you get free access to various other arboretums.. like Batsford.

The only issue I have is that it kind of puts our trees right back in their boxes.

Count me in 2024..

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  6. dicky5ash

My pleasure D, when you say otherside do you mean On the right hand side Acer glade side? I went there first..there was a huge section I was unable to cover, far side of Silk wood..I just ran out of time..legs were a little weary too 22,000 steps

7. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Fantastic pics. dicky5ash.Always wanted to go but I hate that damn M25 sooooo much.

8. Acerholic

Yes Acer glade to the right of the entrance. It can be a long day out after a long drive. I see on the other post that you are going to become a member. Worthwhile if you are close enough to make it pay. It's good that Batsford comes under that same ticket.

9. Acerholic

It is a long way from Kent, but do try it one day J, you will not regret it.

10. dicky5ash

It’s 2hr 15min each way for me.. so not a monthly trip but if I go 3 times a year plus a few bones visits elsewhere it’s worth the ticket.

I saw 3 P. pentaphyllums about 2.5m-3m high, they looked less robust that pretty much everything other growing thing there..they didn’t look like they were thriving, more subsisting..I wonder if it’s a climate thing or they are less robust as a species.. I know these are critically endangered on the red list

11. Acerholic

Yes there are quite a few in that area that are struggling and indeed it is on the Red list. The MS seed exchange IMO is even more important these days or we will end up losing species.
    Regarding the drive, yes it's still some distance but worth it. We would have gone this year, but with Covid and our age didn't want to risk it.
    But next year !!!!!!!!

12. dicky5ash

Understood..my patents are shielding. There were quite a few people there all told but at no time was anyone near me.. and it was very low in capacity terms compared to last year. I think it’s probably the safest public place..no queues, or crowds.

13. Acerholic

Good to hear R, think you had the last nice day there though looking at this wind ......

dicky5ash likes this.
  14. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

Thanks for sharing yours pictures of this magnificent place. It is a great pleasure.

15. Acerholic

I know this is R @dicky5ash thread but wanted to post a photo I took at Westonbirt in Silk Wood with the sun shining as it was cloudy when he was there. IMG_20181010_113457069_HDR.jpg

16. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Hi all. Wonderful pictures on here recently, and this thread inspired a trip out to Westonbirt this morning. It was beautiful when we arrived, but knew the rain was on its way so didn’t waste any time getting out to the Maple Loop.

Attached Files:

AlainK, zfrittz, emery and 3 others like this.
  17. Luke’s Maples

A couple more

Attached Files:

18. dicky5ash

Fantasy land..glad you went. Did you see the massive P. Seiryu in Silk Wood..I thought acer loop in Silk Wood was even more spectacular than the Acer Glade the other side..although there are so many remarkable trees you don’t know whether your coming or going lol

19. dicky5ash

You did..5th photo up from the bottom of your second post..

20. Luke’s Maples

More

Attached Files:

AlainK, zfrittz, emery and 1 other person like this.
  21. Luke’s Maples

More
    Hi, yes it was stunning. So many colours at the same time. Heaven.

Attached Files:

22. Luke’s Maples

More

Attached Files:

23. Luke’s Maples

Last few

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples absolutely wonderful photos Luke, glad you managed to have a great time before the rain. You and are R @dicky5ash have really cheered up a miserable dark evening here. Will be looking at both your photos again and again.
    'Thankyou'

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  25. Luke’s Maples

You’re welcome!