What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Yesterday it was 3°C when I woke, right now at the same time 0600hrs it is 14 ° C. So strange !!!!

2. Nik

Nik Contributor

@Acerholic , we had a situation like that about a week and a half ago. Really bizarre...
    I guess fall has truly arrived. I also see some fall color foliage already in our neighborhood, for example, here are sugar maple (Acer saccharum) and some Parthenocissus sp. (for this one I don’t know the species).

Attached Files:

zfrittz and Acerholic like this.
  3. Acerholic

@Nik Bizarre indeed N, but looking at our forecast tomorrow then normality returns. Love the photos from your neighbourhood. Now that's really Autumn !!

Nik likes this.
  4. Acerholic

So woke to bright blue skys and went out to take some photos and in that short time it is now cloudy and some rain falling. Lots of wet stuff coming later as well. Bit more normal for this time of the year.

5. vbx

vbx Active Member

103F degrees today! My maples aren't doing too well. Unlike last season. This season, I decided to use a drip system and it looks like not enough water are getting to the roots. So I need to make some adjustments. Maybe move the dripper closer to the trunk.

The sun tolerant maples are doing just fine however (Shantung Fire Dragon and the Acer Elegantulum).

6. Acerholic

@vbx that is so hot, your roots almost definatly are not getting enough to send up to tbe upper branches. I give mine a good soaking twice a week in the heat of the Summer. I to have a drip system, but even in my climate its not enough.

vbx likes this.
  7. Acerholic

Just seen the weather warning for the UK for tomorrow, very strong winds for the South. Kent and Cornwall will be badly affected apparently, so do prepare if you haven't seen the forecast.

8. Acerholic

There is an old saying, 'go careful what you wish for'. Well rain was wished for and boy oh boy have we got it now !!! Lol.

9. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Smoke has worked its way into our skies again from the wildfires in California. It's annoying but reminds us how lucky we are not to be dealing with such fires in our own back yards. Here's a photo I took tonight of the receding hills across bay below my place.

upload_2020-10-2_19-33-22.png

10. Acerholic

@Margot good morning Margot, your views even with a smoke haze is beautiful. What a wonderful part of the world you live in.

11. Acerholic

So it's been storm 'Alex' for us here in Southern England, hasn't stopped raining in 24hrs and not going to looking at the forecast all weekend. Such dark skies this morning.

12. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

In the south-east of France, near the Italian border, it rained in 12 hours the equivalent of several months, so many rivers flooded. 11 peopla are reported missing. On the full video, a few minutes later, the big pine on the left of the bridge is uprooted and falls across the river.

13. Acerholic

@AlainK EXTREMES everywhere. Sadly this is what we have to expect from now on according to scientists.
    Our thoughts are with everyone there.

14. Acerholic

Just moments ago a risk to life alert came on the news from the Met Office here in the UK. Flooding expected in many areas until late tomorrow.

15. Acerholic

One months worth of rain in 40 hrs here in the South of England. River is over flowing near me where we walk every day and impassable. 'Never' seen it like this at this time of the year. Does not bode well for the Winter.

16. Acerholic

The calm after the storm, but as can be seen on our walk this morning the English roads/ drains could not take it.

Attached Files:

17. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

It's pretty unsettling to think events like this could become the norm.

18. Acerholic

19. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Here an extreme rapid temperature drop is prognosed. Such an abrupt cooling is very rare.
    winteriscoming.jpg

20. Acerholic

@Sulev, Good morning Sulev, 'what a dramatic dip'. There are some very extreme forecasts coming through here in England. But temperatures here are so mild atm.

Hope you can get all your more tender plants under some protection, looks like it could be a long Winter.

How is everything colouring up there in Estonia ? Bet it's looking lovely!!!

21. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Hi, Acerholic!

This autumn is less colorful here than usual. Because the weather stayed relatively warm for long time and it was often raining instead of being frosty at nights and sunny at days. So maples in my yard went yollowish and brown instead of red and purple, as they usually do. Days are pretty short now (we have less than 9.5 hours of daylight between twilights), the Sun does not rise high and if it's rainy also, then there is constantly dim all the day round. So no nice colors, unfortunately.

22. Acerholic

Will try and keep some colours coming on the other threads for you then Sulev. That's the great thing about this forum, 'we can all share'.
    Do have a look at @dicky5ash Westonbirt thread today. The colours and age of trees is amazing. I have looked at it several times already, lol.
    Have a great weekend.

23. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

Nature is already confused here as some of my winter/spring bulbs are coming up already. Way to early!

24. Acerholic

Just heard the forecast for the start of November for England and it's going to be warm warm warm !!!! Good for those heating bills, but as M @MapleMO has just said 'so confusing' for nature.

25. Acerholic

This was our regular morning walk through the woods a few minutes ago. And even more heavy rain this weekend, with 50mph winds. 'Goodbye leaves'.
    IMG_20201030_110816843.jpg