Giant Sequoia damaging driveway - how to handle repairs

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Joe Collins, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Joe Collins

Joe Collins New Member

I have a 60-70' sequoia in my front yard, lifting up parts of the concrete driveway & sidewalk. We want to cut out the lifted part of the driveway to re-pour new cement.

Undoubtedly it will expose roots within 3 feet of the tree. Do you think it would be okay to 'grind' down some of the exposed root so that it doesn't protrude through the newly poured cement? or what would be the best way to handle this fix w/o obviously cutting down the trees? I'm thinking that if I use pavers instead of cement I can more easily adjust them around the roots when they get lifted and won't have to cut more concrete. Thanks for any input! - Joe

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The only non damaging way to retain a tree lifting pavement is to repave at a higher level, that accommodates the current height of the tree's roots. Otherwise in the instance shown the trees are going to get very much larger than they are now over time, so that really what needs to be done is to take them out.

3. dirt reaper

dirt reaper Member

Pacific Northwest - Washington State, USA
    I would agree with Ron.

Given the size of your trees, you have suffered very little damage but it will continue to get worse. A tree that size would probably survive a serious root trimming but you are only delaying the final outcome.

I have found that the Giant Sequoia tends to be pretty good about not doing this type of damage as fast as other species. A Maple or Douglas Fir would have most likely done far more damage by now.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

That's quite a flat driveway. Could it really work to arch it (how much, a foot?), putting in some drainage thing at the garage end for water that would flow that way? I suppose that would involve getting the city to arch the sidewalk as well.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

The fun will be in a thousand years or so, when the gap between the two trees finally closes :-)

6. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

That house will have been replaced by then, with the driveway relocated, if we still need driveways.

7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Joe Collins, Just seen this and to be frankly honest these two trees are in a totally inappropriate place. I agree with others sentiments they need to be removed before the house suffers from root damage. It will only get worse.
    Yes it is a shame to cut down any tree, but this should be considered IMO and replaced with two ornamental trees !!!??
    Sorry Joe for having to say this about two beautiful Giant seqoia.

8. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I hate to sound flippant as poor Joe has a big problem. But when you said if we still need driveways, it reminded me of Doc from Back to the future saying, "Roads, where we're going we don't need roads" !!!!!

9. dirt reaper

dirt reaper Member

Pacific Northwest - Washington State, USA
    Joe's Giant Sequoias will have to get much bigger than that to damage the house given the distance. See the pictures attached. This GS is really close to the house and no damage has happened to date. I stress to date! This homeowner and I have talked about his tree and he is well aware of the potential for damage and is keeping a close eye on it.

There are numerous GS in the neighborhoods and parks where I live. I have found that the Giant Sequoia tends to be pretty good about not doing root damage as fast as other species.

tree1.jpg tree2.jpg

10. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Naaah - it's the house / garage that are in a totally inappropriate place. Keep the trees and get rid of the garage :-)

Acerholic likes this.