Keep or replace Trompenburg and/or Osakazuki?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by SLR2009, Oct 9, 2020.

1. SLR2009

SLR2009 Active Member 10 Years

Hi, in my yard I'm almost out of room for more Acer's. I'm going over my older tree's and seeing if there's any plants I should remove to make room for more rare Maples. I have a Trompenburg and an Osakazuki planted 5 years ago. Do you think they are special enough to keep or remove? Thoughts? These photo's of my tree's were taken in the spring. I started to prune my Osakazuki to keep it in check. Also here's a photo of my Beni Shigitatsu Sawa (photo taken 2 years ago) that died this spring :(. If I could get another large Beni Shigitatsu Sawa do you think that I should remove the Trompenburg for this variety? I already have Aka Shigitatasu Sawa (The red leafed version) and an Amber Ghost. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    Connor Sullivan and Acerholic like this.
  2. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Well-Known Member

I just bought an Osakazuki to put in my yard with my other maples. Don’t you find Osakazuki to have the brightest fall color of all your maples?

I’d like to add a Geisha Gone Wild and Japanese Princess one day too... those are my picks for rarer maples but I think Osakazuki can hold its own in fall to both of the those?

Acerholic and SLR2009 like this.
  3. SLR2009

Yes, my Osakazuki is indeed very pretty in the fall.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    Connor Sullivan likes this.
  4. Connor Sullivan

Do you feel like your Osakazuki is a fast grower? Also have it been tolerant of full sun and not burning?

5. SLR2009

Mine's grown pretty fast. Mine only gets morning sun but I've heard that Osakazuki can handle full sun and shouldn't burn.

Connor Sullivan likes this.
  6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@SLR2009 good morning, what a decision to have to make and tbh if it were me I would leave both where they are. The only time I lift and remove is if I have two of something.
    Osakasuki and Trompenburg are beautiful trees that have stood the test of time IMO for interest and colour, both are hard to beat.
    I agree with Connor @Connor Sullivan regarding Japanese princess in planting a rare one. So perhaps but just one and leave the others where they are.
    Running out of room is a problem for all us Maple enthusiasts and we come up against this sooner rather than later. There is always just one more to buy.
    I love your photos btw.

7. Ken Hamilton

Ken Hamilton Active Member

Here's a suggestion I have used myself. Plant a young Acer of your choice nearby to an older existing one. The older will give dappled shade to the younger until such times as the older becomes too big for the space. It's never a good idea to replant in the exact same spot as a removed maple. See specific replant disease. In this way when the regretful decision is made to remove the older there is something to already established to fill the space.

Connor Sullivan and Acerholic like this.
  8. Connor Sullivan

I just checked out your pictures!

The Osakazuki is very pretty, I love the leaf shape and the hint of pink... I would definitely keep it.

That potted Amber Ghost looks very lovely too. Have you been happy with it? Charlie from “Amazing Maples and Crazy Conifers” said it was his favorite Ghost.

9. Connor Sullivan

@SLR2009 I’m also curious what you have in mind when you say “rare maples”!? What varieties were you wanting to plant?

10. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Connor Sullivan good morning Connor, just saw your posting asking about rare maples. Yes there are rare Acer species trees ( check out the red list of Acers), but tbh cultivars are not really rare at all, but some are difficult to get hold of in certain countries or continents. This term 'Rare' is used too often IMO and especially on ebay etc etc. It is basically a marketing ploy to get people to buy !!! If you look at the Mr Maple YouTube videos they don't say this is a rare maple, they just advise that some sell out quickly.
    There are a few on my wish list that I cannot get in the UK or Europe , but are readily available in the US and vice versa. So these could be termed as rare, but I know from experience that they will all be available in quantity at some time.

11. SimplyJMaples

SimplyJMaples New Member

I have seen two full sized 20+ ft Tromenburgs in my home community. They are a beautiful tree. I wasn't enthused about the variety until I saw the first of these two specimens but now I am definitely smitten. Hopefully, you keep yours.

opusoculi likes this.