Maple Seeds

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Ken Hamilton, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Ken Hamilton

Ken Hamilton Active Member

Beautiful samaras from A. p. "Autumn Glory" ready for stratification.
    I have noticed a scarcity of seeds on jmaples this year in Ireland but glad to find a handful or two on my own trees. I wonder if this scarcity is similar in the rest of U.K.?

Attached Files:

emery and Acerholic like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Ken Hamilton good morning Ken, on my part my maples have very few seeds indeed this year. It was the driest May and September on record, so I think this maybe the cause.
    They look excellent Samaras you have there. An anticipated bumper crop in the next two years of Autumn glory for you !!!

Ken Hamilton likes this.
  3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Indeed a terrible year for seed all around. We had a relatively light spring frost (well two actually!) but occurred during flowering. This resulted in many 3+ winged fruit, most of which I don't believe will be viable. Then the drought! The burning sun! Don't get me started! :)

There's a bit of seed. sometimes in unexpected places, but by and large: roll on 2021.

Ken Hamilton likes this.
  4. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

I thought it might be just me..the samaras I had here and there I lost in the high winds several weeks ago..

Ken Hamilton likes this.