Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@MapleMO Lol, I do wonder about the dwarf varieties and how they are actually categorised as such. Anything smaller than a two story house seems to fit these days !!!! Don't see too many Kamagatas on the forum, so I'm glad you posted yours this morning.

MapleMO likes this.
  2. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Once these get going they are quite a prolific grower, pic of mine from a few days ago but the wind again is blowing all the leaves off before it has time to show it's full colours, always next year. :) :)

Attached Files:

wind-borne, Nik, dangerine49 and 4 others like this.
  3. Acerholic

@ROEBUK Good afternoon M, if we can call it good !!! Still a magnificent specimen you have there. But agreed, it is sad to see all those leaves on the ground before they get a chance to colour up.

4. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

'Bihoo', 'Beni hagoromo', Acer tataricum var. ginnala :

acerp-bihoo_201003a.jpg acerp-benihag01_201003a.jpg acer-tataricum-gin_201003a.jpg

5. Acerholic

6. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Another good reason to grow native trees only ;0)

Pruning a maple is far less hazardous...

7. Acerholic

Good morning on another very wet day here in England, Not too hazardous taking a few photos, but very squelchy ground. Strange mixture of colours today with still plenty of new growth.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

Well after a very inspiring Maple Society meeting yesterday, that had plenty of enthusiasm and reports of new members joining and very kind comments about the thread, (thankyou Emery@emery for that) I thought I would keep going with photos this morning, even though it was so dark under the grey skies it made my flash go off several times.
    After I came inside to upload them I was quite pleased how they turned out. Hope you agree.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

My early morning coffee in my garden maybe coming to an end now, as it's getting rather cold even with bright early sunshine. I'm still fascinated at the new growth all around on my maples. A few came out today to be transferred to my daughters garden whilst she's at work. (5 that I have two of btw). But these gaps will be filled with the new ones coming to me next week. Elmwood, Alpenweis, JWW7 Brown Sugar, Kawahara Rose and Reticulatum Como.
    Anyway here are a few photos of some this morning that are definatly staying. Including the last photo of a seedling that I will be keeping and finding itself planted in the ground next Spring.

Attached Files:

10. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Hi!

English autumn is infinitely more colorful than the Mediterranean. Maybe it's the earth? It's interesting because many trees that grow in acidic soil turn beautiful in the fall. On the other hand, there are very few that grow in clay soil that change color. I own a Melia azedarach myself, and have never seen it quite yellow. Just a few leaves, which then dry up and fall off.

I show some of my maples. The Atropurpureum and the "Aconitifolium" are now sprouting. They seem to have liked the change (before they were under a Ficus carica, now under a shadow mesh).

The Seyriu still thinks it is summer. It is still completely green. Beni maiko is growing too.

And the Acer granatense is planted in the garden. He is very close to an Ensete ventricosum, but since the Ensete dies after flowering and does not produce suckers, I am not concerned. Now it will shade the maple, and when it dies I hope the maple will shade that corner a bit.

Greetings!

20201006_174528.jpg 20201006_174457.jpg 20201006_174230.jpg 20201006_174512.jpg 20201006_174441.jpg

zfrittz, dangerine49 and Acerholic like this.
  11. Acerholic

@monicasanchez good evening Monica, after the Summer you have had your trees are doing remarkably well. Still a bit early for colour where you are. I'm noticing a lot of colour now in the North of England, that are way ahead of mine.
    You will be showing your maples in full colour, when ours in England have dropped all their leaves. That's the beauty of the forum.
    So you will be cheering us up on this thread in December I'm sure.
    Great to hear from you.

monicasanchez likes this.
  12. Acerholic

It is very interesting to see all the different stages of Autumn colours around the world on the forum. A few YouTube videos from more northern parts of the UK are also showing trees well in advance of mine. And after seeing Monica's @monicasanchez maples last night, it shows how the miles and continents are in their own phase. Wonderful to watch IMO. But wherever we are, the colour is definatly coming.
    Here are a few first thing this morning in my garden.

Attached Files:

13. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

Unfortunately with a lot of wind damage, but my Aconitifolium is starting to colour up.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

@MapleMO good afternoon M, the wind and the very hot Summer has taken it's toll everywhere, but I'm glad to see you have some colour to enjoy on your Aconitifolium. Wonderful Spooky colours!!!!

15. MapleMO

And some photo’s of my trip to Japan a few years ago, to remind us what our trees can look like in a decade or two ;-)

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

@MapleMO and don't they do it well M. Lovely photos !!

17. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Wow!! What a incredible photos. Very, very beautiful trees.

18. scilover

scilover Member

They turned out beautiful. I am impressed by how the colour catches my eyes. it is beautiful.

Acerholic likes this.
  19. Acerholic

@scilover good morning, thankyou for your kind comments and welcome to the thread. Very glad that the colours of the maples are giving you pleasure there in Malaysia.

20. Acerholic

I thought today I would add some that have been spoken about over the last week. I include my Aconitifolium after M @MapleMO posted her's yesterday. Also my Sister and First ghosts as I was asked about the difference.
    Lots of rain this morning but it's brightening up now, which meant my Ariaki Nomura is showing off it's colours.

Attached Files:

21. MapleMO

Hers (not his ;-)

22. Acerholic

Corrected, sorry M.

23. MapleMO

No worries and have a great morning. Fortunately I took some pictures yesterday of the Aconitifolium as the heavy wind is blowing the leaves off already.

24. Acerholic

@MapleMO yes it's a strange Autumn that's for sure. Think we have to take the photos fairly quickly this year !!!!

We are still drooling over your Japanese pics from yesterday btw.

Have a great day yourself M.

25. MapleMO

Lol, yes it was an awesome experience to visit Japan in the fall. Highly recommended!