Virtual Garden Tour 2000-2021

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Margot, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada

Your item 3 — I have never seen a hen and chicks aka sempervivum so pink !

It’s gorgeous!

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

That's interesting . . . I have nothing to compare it with @Georgia Strait so I'll take your word . . . quality versus quantity, and the leaves are beautiful too.

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    My flowers at coast a pale flesh pink color

Your sempervivum look like the candy floss or spider web?

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I just noticed that the Sempervivum is almost the same shade of pink as the Nerine bowdenii nearby. If you'd like piece of mine, I've got lots to share!

I'm finally at the stage in my garden where I'm trying to group plants that look good together . . . like Nerine, Sempervivum and Alyssum - gorgeous. Colchicums and Plantago major ‘Rubrifolia’ - stunning. @Georgia Strait, I love your combo of Hardy Fuchsias and Coleus and will re-create that next year.

Do you think it might be fun to start another thread where we could share ideas about wonderful groupings?

5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@bihai good morning, gorgeous and very very healthy, I bet you can't stop photographing them.

6. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

I am about to start cleaning up the yard and flowerbeds...so I will post photos of things that I grow actually outside the greenhouse. We are having our foist cold snap...it's a frosty 59F here this morning! A shock when we have been used to 75-78 for months LOL but excellent drier weather to get out in the yard. Most people here do not 'garden' until the fall and winter. We continue through about early May, then the heat and humidity just get to be too much for a lot of folks, especially older people like me. SO we 'maintain' instead. Things here actually establish better in the fall and winter and into the very early spring because they are not fighting heat stress to get rooted in. Here are a few photos from my yard
    1. Tropical water lily blooming in a tub garden
    2. Dichorisandra pendula
    3. Plumeria 'Princess Victoria'
    4. Begonia nelumbiifolia
    5. Clerodendron (Pagoda Plant)
    6. Aechmea 'Red Candles' poolside
    7. Passiflora 'Amethyst'

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2020
    Nik, pmurphy, Acerholic and 1 other person like this.
  7. Acerholic

@bihai good afternoon, the Tropical water lily was mesmerising. Then each photo there on was a joy!!

8. bihai

thanks!

9. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Not much going on in the gardens now but the sun came out so I snapped a few photos...

Flying dragon is getting lots of color now.
    Pineapple lily is dying back but looked pretty against the asters.
    Zebra grass is starting to flower.

Nik, Margot, bihai and 1 other person like this.
  10. bihai

Gingers

Attached Files:

Nik, Acerholic and pmurphy like this.
  11. bihai

Bromeliads

Attached Files:

Nik, pmurphy, Margot and 1 other person like this.
  12. Acerholic

@bihai can I ask if that's your garden in photo 1.? If so I love the natural look you have achieved. And if not, I like it anyway !!

13. bihai

Yes, it is a butterfly garden I tried to make LOL. But it turned into more of another tropical garden. I do have some milkweed in there but it is CONSTANTLY being eaten by the Monarch cats. There are some Salvias as well, but the really pretty Agapanthus varieties I planted in April were promptly eaten by deer, and the zinnia seeds I planted never came up. This particular space used to be totally occupied by huge overgrown azalea bushes. It took me days but I dug out most of them out (and got a nasty case of Poison Ivy) and replaced them with Plumeria, a Fiddle Leaf Fig, 2 Queen palms, a Pygmy date palm, in the ground and containerized Alocasia and colocasia (so that I have the freedom to change the varieties out if I want), crotons, Epidendrum orchids, and bromeliads. And my mosaic alligator bench, which was a Mother's Day gift from my husband and daughter years ago. These are some other things a planted, they are going to seed now that it is fall. I will replace them with new different varieties in Spring (1) and I also have some Peacock gingers (Kaempferia) in here

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  14. Acerholic

@bihai what a wonderful story of this area of your garden, together with a Mother's day gift that makes it very special for you. Thankyou so much for sharing it all with us on the forum.
    Re the Monarch caterpillars, they are hungry little devils but so pretty later. Is it a price worth paying!!!? But deer, now they are so destructive !!! A nice water feature Japanese deer scarer might be a thought !!! The slightest noise and they are off.

15. bihai

Oh ours are not so scared LOL. They are kind of used to people. We have a game camera mounted near here, we catch them every day in the side yard eating grass. I live next to a state wildlife preserve and there is a herd of deer that are resident just to this area. We have deer, wild turkeys, feral pigs, bobcats, bald eagles, some Osprey, all manner of hawks and owls, rabbits, raccoons, opossum, gopher tortoises in the yard, otters in the creek, and my neighbor has a 6 ft alligator living in his natural pond on his property. This is another view of the butterfly garden, with Ensete maurellii and Blood leaf banana, and some other residents. My daughter is 25 now, but when she was about 15 we planted a raised bed vegetable garden in the front by a gate, and it was decimated overnight by the rabbits and deer. If I ever get too old and feeble to take care of my tropical greenhouse, I will sell it all off and use it to raised vegetables ha ha

Attached Files:

pmurphy and Acerholic like this.
  16. Acerholic

@bihai a nature lovers paradise for sure, but with many challenges for the keen gardener which can be a bit frustrating. But I would rather try to live with the wildlife as you do. Flora and fauna together creates the perfect scene every time IMO.
    This is a wonderful thread started by @Margot, I am enjoying so many gardens from around the world I would never have seen if not for this forum.
    Hope you are also enjoying it !!

17. bihai

I am! It is interesting to see things that I cannot grow LOL. I am hoping someone from up your way will post a Gunnera. We have no hope of ever growing them here. The best we can do is very old giant Tetrapanax. I have a friend in New Jersey who has all manner of beautifully colored Japanese maples that I love looking at. We used to have gorgeous Dogwood trees here, they would put on a show every spring. But they were always at the Southernmost reach of their heat tolerance on this area, and with climate change, we went up a 1/2 step climate zone in 2010 and have probably gone up another 1/2 step now...about 5 years ago all the dogwoods in this area started dying, and now there are very few left. Out of about 20 I had here on my property, only ONE is still half alive and it is in such decline I think it will finally expire this next year.

18. Acerholic

@bihai sadly this is not in my garden, but in Winston Churchill's, some Gunnera for you to enjoy in case you cannot grow it there. Photo was Summer 2019.
    I am so suprised about the dogwood, it is normally very heat tollerant. But as they say, times they are a changing and we have to adapt and enjoy others plants from afar on this forum. At least we do have this!!!

Attached Files:

Nik and Margot like this.
  19. bihai

So cool thanks! I have been told be folks I trust that Gunnera here would be a waste of $$. Too hot too humid. We had I think almost 70 (or more) consecutive days over 90F this summer. Heat indexes usually 105-120. Gunners would turn tail and run North

20. Acerholic

@bihai glad you enjoyed the photo at least.

21. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

We have a recent thread with some Gunnera in parks.
    Plant with Gigantic Leafs

22. Acerholic

In my garden a few minutes ago the wind and rain was not nice at all, but for one brief moment it turned over the leaves on my Katsura tree Cercidiphyllum japonicum and I got the toffee apple scent. Took this quick photo to show Autumn is here.

Attached Files:

Georgia Strait, Nik and pmurphy like this.
  23. Nik

Nik Contributor

Mitchella repens (partridge berry) is ripening in the yard amongst the moss. Deer will dig up the snow wintertime to reach and eat the evergreen foliage. The red fruit has absolutely no taste (to my tastebuds at least).

Attached Files:

24. Nik

Nik Contributor

A Cornus mas (Cornelian cherry dogwood) seedling, heavily protected, at the edge of our yard. I transplanted it in early spring.

Attached Files:

Georgia Strait, pmurphy and Acerholic like this.
  25. Acerholic

Good evening N, this is such a delicate griund cover shrub. I remember seeing it at a National Trust garden several years ago in flower. So very pretty then and very festive now in Autumn in your garden. Thanks for reminding me.

Nik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.