Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

They say the only way to cheer yourself up is to get on with things. So it was a visit to the nursery first thing ( no maples bought) Lol. But I did buy some fragrant shrubs Elaeagnus ebbingei, so whilst out in the garden planting a few minutes ago, I took these.

Attached Files:

2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Acer circinatum 'Burgundy Jewel' :

acer-circ-BurgundyJewel_200921a.jpg

3. Acerholic

Well it's the Autumn Equinox in just a couple of hours time here in the Northern hemisphere and I thought it would be apt to post a few to mark the occasion.

Attached Files:

4. Nik

Nik Contributor

Some photos of generic seedlings I took today.
    1. Green that is still growing.
    2. and 3. Two red ones that kept their color all summer long as pictured.
    4. and 5. Red with late summer (I guess now it is early fall) growth. The summer color of this one was a dull dark red/green.
    6. and 7. Green that has already changed into its fall color. I suspect the reason is its drier location.

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

@Nik good evening N, I really love seedlings !! Are these as they landed, or in pots from collected seed?
    Whatever they are, they are so pretty.

6. Nik

Nik Contributor

Hi, D! They are from collected seeds. Only 1. Is in a pot. The rest are scattered around the yard.

AlainK and dicky5ash like this.
  7. Acerholic

The first full day of Autumn and some overnight precipitation. So it had to be dissectums as they go so well with rain. Here are just a few of mine this morning.

Attached Files:

8. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

@Nik very nice..how long have they been going for? My year 2 seedlings are in their own 2ltr pots are only 3mm at the base (reds) 5mm thick at the base (Greens) and between 5” - 8” tall is this slow for seedlings?

9. dicky5ash

I’m hoping the dark red brown grows out and survives it’s been nice deep colours all summer @emery i think you said you liked the deep red and brown one earlier in the year..

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

@dicky5ash I don't know about Emery but I like it R.

dicky5ash likes this.
  11. dicky5ash

Do you think this growth rate is slow 3 and 5mm for year 2?

12. dicky5ash

Trunk thickness

13. Acerholic

@dicky5ash I would say it is a touch small, but IMO I have found the slower ones actually survive, whereas the fast to shoot up do so and then give up and die in Yr 3. Tortoise and the Hare scenario !!!!

14. AlainK

I think 3 mm growth in diameter (that's what you mean, right?) is good, 5mm is very good. Many Japanese maple seedlings tend to grow upward first.

"I would say it is a touch small"

For trunk thicness, it that means diameter ? Really ?...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    dicky5ash likes this.
  15. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

@dicky5ash I still like it. One of the most interesting things for me with the various maples is the color palate; anything out of the run of the mill is great. Maybe part of that is since I'm quite blind (my glasses only correct to about 80/20) so at a distance color is the main thing I see!

16. Nik

Nik Contributor

Hi @dicky5ash , mine are 2nd year (the ones shown). For two years they are anywhere between 15 cm and 50 cm. The color of the leaves does not seem to affect growth rate, I guess it depends on genetics mostly, then culture. They grow best if they are in pots and semi shade, but I transplant almost all of mine in ground at the end of their first summer and generally do not water them the second year (I know this is not great for them, but many survive just fine).

17. Nik

Nik Contributor

Last year I experimented with some light fertilizer early in the year, and they loved it. I did not do it this year and none of my first year seedlings had growth later in the summer.

18. dicky5ash

@emery re vision blimey that must make some things tricky..over the past year I have become long sighted at 46 years it’s to be expected! I tried tying a size 20 fishing hook the other week and struggled, never mind size 10 shot!!!

Thanks guys..let’s see where they get to..I am new to all things seedlings.. I think I’ve probably been plucking them out of my pots as tiny shoots for years thinking they were weeds before they take on characteristics..

19. Nik

Nik Contributor

Sorry, I intended to say that genes other than the ones determining leaf color seem to control growth rate.

AlainK likes this.
  20. AlainK

15 is good, but 50 is... Wow !

Do you put them on steroids or what ? ^_^

21. Nik

Nik Contributor

Hi Alain, just light fertilizer early in their first year. Some grow as much as 40 cm in their first summer...
    Here is an example of a dark red second year seedling. About 7-8 mm diameter at the base, in the ground after its first summer. The other pictures are from earlier this year. In the third one it is the last (darkest) leaf in comparison to other reds. It kept the color all summer long.

Attached Files:

monicasanchez, dicky5ash and AlainK like this.
  22. Nik

Nik Contributor

... And absolutely no fertilizer this year, with only occasional watering, because it is in a full sun location.

23. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

@dicky5ash the vision issues are actually no problem at all, since I see fine close up, and I've never known anything different. Now if I lose my glasses, it's a different story! :) I'm actually supposed to have some sort of lens replacement surgery, which would give me "normal" vision. It would be completely bizarre, I'm sure! Who knows when that might happen, of course, even if I get around to it, which I didn't pre-crisis. My only issue is that I can't recognize faces at the distances most can, so people sometimes think I'm snubbing them...

24. Nik

Nik Contributor

Timeline of the dark red seedling development in its first year. The last photo is after it was transplanted in the yard. All others are from our rather shaded screened porch.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

@Nik what a wonderful photo diary of a seedling N.