Appreciation: Palms in the greenhouse

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by bihai, Sep 18, 2020.

1. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have been a greenhouse grower since 2001. I started with a small hobby GH, a Juliana. Then we moved and in 2003 I was able to build a large greenhouse. I planted some palms inside of it in the first 3-4 years that are getting fairly mature now. Is anyone else growing species like this long term? Can you share your successes?
    Marojejya insignis
    Pelagodoxa henryana (Marquesas Palm)
    Kerriodoxa elegans
    Licuala ramsayi

Attached Files:

Nik, Tom Hulse and Daniel Mosquin like this.
  2. bihai

I also have some small growing rainforest understory palms, and stuff like the Flamethrower palm. The bright red new fronds add a lot of color

Attached Files:

Nik and Acerholic like this.
  3. bihai

Who would believe that this diminutive 2 ft palm tree is 15 years old? A slow growing somewhat uncommon rainforest understory palm, Chamaedorea geonomiformis (photo 1) And one of my all time fave palms....Chamaedorea metallica

Attached Files:

Nik, Acerholic and Daniel Mosquin like this.
  4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Very nice, that Chamaedorea geonomiformis.

5. bihai

Thank you! I have 2, I keep hoping they will produce viable seed, but I think they are planted too far apart

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  6. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Your Licuala ramsayi looks very much like the Licuala spinosa I had. It was a very attractive palm that was available in my area for a relatively short time. Here is a photo of my Chamaerops humilis (European Fan Palm). It is approximately 30 years old.

20200922_161018.jpg

7. bihai

I also have a big Licuala spinosa! Many of the divided leaf Licuala look similar. I have about 6-7 (can't recall off the top of my head) Only the entire leaf Licuala really show differences. That is a very lovely well grown palm. C. humilis is very popular as a landscape palm here, I have one in my yard. Its about 15 years old and does not have the trunk height yours has yet! These are a few of my other Licualas-Chordata, this was taken in 2008, sadly I lost this palm in 2010 when my heater failed in the GH during a strong of 20F nights that lasted 10 nights. It was an unprecedented weather event here, and the heater failure a complete fluke, I lost several plants in that debacle which we later named the Great Greenhouse Heater Debacle of 2010. Licuala aurantiaca, Licuala distans, Licuala lauterbachii, Licuala spinosa (there was a specimen of Spinosa that had been grown outdoors in Jacksonville Beach 70 miles North of me for over 20 years that was huge and was lost in the same weather event in 2010 that killed my Orbicularis and Chordata), Licuala grandis.

Attached Files:

Nik likes this.
  8. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

This is off-topic here, but what is the vine-looking plant with the silver markings behind the palm leaf to the right in the first photo, positioned at around 1:00 to that leaf. And are the backs of the vine's leaves purple? Not the skinny-leafed one, but that's cool too.

9. bihai

That is my Piper ornata

10. wcutler

Ah, I see that Piper ornatum (also called P. crocatum) does have maroon coloured undersides, but the leaves are peltate and the leaf arrangement is alternate - not the plant I was hoping it was, but it's very nice. Thanks. I'll go back to my corner.

11. bihai

What did you think it was???? (I may have it LOL)

12. bihai

I also have the Cissus discolor vine which has the purple back and cool leaves, is that what you are thinking of? And the Ornamental Yam Vine

13. wcutler

No, it's one that was posted for ID at Brazilian shade-loving groundcover for id please
    It was ID'd as Mikania hemisphaerica, but the original poster was not convinced and she doesn't live there to hang around to see what it grows into and what the flowers are like. It has opposite leaves.

14. bihai

It certainly is striking...I have no idea what it is though

15. scilover

scilover Member

cool color. and palm in a greenhouse? why not but don't think on having a big palm farm in your green house :) stay safe

16. bihai

Scilover I don't want a 'big palm farm' in my greenhouse. I selected the varieties I have almost 20 years ago for their structural beauty and their ability to remain small in the environment, so that I might grow them ling term without them outgrowing the greenhouse. The palms I selected were for the main part rarely available rainforest understory palms and many were grown from small seedlings to maturity.

17. Junglekeeper

Here's my Rhapis excelsa (Lady Palm), also some 30 years old. My palms have a nasty habit of busting their pots as can be seen here.

20200924_174216.jpg

Nik, Acerholic and Tom Hulse like this.
  18. bihai

OMG that is a nice one! I keep some outdoors. They make stoloniferous offsets all over the place. You have to either dig them up and relocate them, or just cut them off at ground level.

Acerholic and Tom Hulse like this.
  19. wcutler

You're not going to let some 30-year-old plant bully you into indulging it with new digs, eh? Of course, it's hard to argue with success. I guess that's one way to prevent overwatering.

Acerholic likes this.
  20. bihai

Really...does the water just run out onto the carpet?

Acerholic and Tom Hulse like this.
  21. Junglekeeper

Strange as it may sound, success can be problematic. When plants get that large they tend to consume the limited amount of space available indoors.

22. bihai

I collected a few variegated Rhapis in about 2009/2010. There used to be a nursery in Texas who raised these palms, I think the recession killed it off like it killed off so many niche nurseries. But these are some of my favorite palms. They are just so bright and cheery. I trailed one out in the flowerbed several years ago, they did ok until the temps fell below about 28F. Then they got leaf burn. The green ones do not get any damage until it gets to 20F, which it has not done for years now. I have a variegated one in a 35 gallon planter on the porch that I only pull into the house if it threatens to drop below 28, but for the past 3 winters, we have had 30F as our lowest temp here.

Attached Files:

Acerholic and Nik like this.
  23. bihai

Calyptrocalyx polyphyllus is throwing out a new blood red spear! Small rainforest understory palm.

Attached Files:

Acerholic, Nik and Daniel Mosquin like this.
  24. bihai

Pinanga batanensis...Batan Palm

Attached Files:

Acerholic and Nik like this.
  25. Nik

Nik Contributor

Hi @bihai , can you post a picture (or pictures) of your Chamaedodea microspadix ?