What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

@Acerholic I don't think we are, but it would apply to "town water" anyway. Our stream is completely dry, something that never used to happen, but now 3 years in a row! The park claims there are fish in it, but I hardly see how. I don't have time to water anything but pots for now, anyway.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

So very warm here this morning, 18°C by 0800hrs and they say it's going to get warmer and warmer as the week progresses. Not complaining though. It is very pleasant!!

3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

28° this afternoon. The sky at 17:30. And no rain.

jardin_200909a.jpg

The red Prunus on the left is beginning to drop its leaves, no wonder, they like a rather humid weather. Surprisingly, the big Zelkova at the back is not showing any Autumn colours.

monicasanchez likes this.
  4. Acerholic

Don't think its going to get as warm as @AlainK, but forecast saying moments ago about Sub Tropical air approaching here. Possibly 27 ° C in parts.

5. emery

No rain here, again. A little fog was as close as we got; promises, promises! Alain "your" Zelkova (the one you gave me) is now over 2m and this is its second season in the ground, out in the open where it's meant to grow large and provide shade... It has lived through the year so far, that's about all I can say. Still some leaves left, and even a little color! :) One more year to get out of the woods, but as we say: not counting chickens.

AlainK likes this.
  6. Acerholic

All very dry again here, with a hot weather front approaching. The colour weather map for Europe and the UK was dark red. That can't be good!!!
    Thought my early morning breakfast in the garden had finished for 2020, but this morning was able to do it again and it looks like I will be able to for the next 2 weeks!!!!?

7. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

It's been bothering me @Acerholic, since I read briefly, that recent news in Britain was troubling you. Now, I cannot find the thread where you said that.

I am wondering if there is more going on where you live in addition to what we are hearing here on the west coast of Canada re the US election, the pandemic and terrible forest fires south of the border (so far).

I have to say, if it weren't for my garden and relative distance from population centres, I'd be even more stressed than I already am . . . but still worried about those not so buffetted - including my children.

8. Acerholic

@Margot, good morning Margot, yes the news on this virus is getting worse by the day and we are the same, worrying for our children and grandchildren.
    Our eldest daughter and son in law have had Covid 19 in March and it was not nice at all. Teaching in a large school, means regular contact and as we all have heard there has been re infections in the UK.
    And looking at the papers yesterday it looks like Christmas may well be Virtual this year.
    Oh well! enough of the depressing stuff. Gardening to get on with. Our savior during these difficult times as you say.

9. Acerholic

Just thought I would mention that today's forecast for the South of England said that the heat is building and heading towards 31° C possibly on Monday.
    No complaints, after seeing on the news what our friends on the forum from Oregon and other parts of the US are going through atm.
    My thoughts and I'm sure everybodies on here are with them !!!

Margot likes this.
  10. Margot

Temperatures where I live have hit 30C the past 2 days but will be trending downwards as of tomorrow. Thank goodness!

It's almost been surreal how perfect this past growing season has been. I have to pinch myself. :-) In the 15 years I've gardened here, there has never been a more clement summer or benign start to autumn. Not knowing what future years may hold, I treasure these seasons as hallmarks of what is possible, Mother Nature willing.

Acerholic likes this.
  11. Acerholic

@Margot that sounds a delightful Summer for you Margot and one 'weather wise' at least, you will look back on with joy.
    I do like good news !!

12. Acerholic

13. Acerholic

What a morning here in England ,so bright and sunny and not a cloud to be seen. The thermometer is rising rapidly., Yes I will be watering for sometime today, as it is now so very dry again.
    But watering is something that goes on until the first frost anyway in my garden, so not a big deal.

14. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Good morning or afternoon.

The situation in California is very sad. Wildfires are terrible. I hope that, sooner rather than later, the situation will normalize.

Yesterday on Twitter it caught my attention that meteorologists from Mallorca said and showed that the smoke from those fires was reaching all of Spain. In this link you can see a photo from yesterday, from Mallorca.

It is sad, but at the same time surprising that it has traveled more than 9000 kilometers.

Speaking of other issues, yesterday summer returned. Maximum temperatures of 30-31ºC. Fortunately, the minimum temperatures remain below 20ºC and you can sleep well without having the fan or the air conditioning unit on.

The maples are growing!

15. Acerholic

@monicasanchez Good afternoon Monica, so glad it is cooling for you, just as we here in England are heading hotter again, so weired !!
    I just clicked on the link you provided and as you say it's so surprising that the smoke has travelled so far from the US.
    I think all our hearts go out to those who are suffering these fires at the moment. Several of our regular friends on the forum are in the midst of it all. 'Frightening' to say the least.
    On a brighter note, so glad to hear your maples are growing well. Good news is so very important right now.
    There is going to be an early dew here tomorrow, so I have set my alarm ready, to take some photos to post in the morning on the Cheering ourselves up thread. All in the hope it does bring some cheer.

Have a lovely Sunday.

monicasanchez likes this.
  16. Acerholic

A chilly start here, which means a dew on the leaves which is nice, but it's going to be hot hot hot later. 30°C ?????

17. Acerholic

Yes it got there, 30° C in my garden moments ago. Same again tomorrow apparently!!!

18. Acerholic

This is just ridiculous now, hotter than Hawaii in England in the middle of September and to cap it off a 3.5 magnitude earthquake for the second time in two weeks.

19. Margot

Quite unsettling for sure! Things have cooled off considerably here with an unpredicted heavy rainfall this afternoon which has, unfortunately, not yet washed the smoke from the sky. Rain is what is needed to forestall wildfires to the south.

20. AlainK

With 35°C, we hit an all-time record for a 14th September in Orléans yesterday.

21. Mani

Mani Active Member

I blame poor forestry management!

22. AlainK

Don't be sarcastic. It will start getting cooler. Margot and others along the Pacific coast will appreciate when it does.

23. Mani

Mani Active Member

You're right! Just a matter of time......like a miracle it will disappear and everything will be okay!

emery likes this.
  24. Acerholic

Not so sure about it being over quickly, weather forecast for my area shows no rain for the rest of September. Just watered my trees as it was so very dry.
    Expect London is just as bad Mani @Mani. Do 'Keep watering' !!! I continue watering until the first frost every year.
    35° C in Orleans yesterday Alain @AlainK , this is getting a bit worrying tbh, no rain on the horizon for you looking at your forecasts. On the Tour de France that we enjoy watching, mainly for the beautiful views and history btw !! So many rivers are dry. In the Alps today, not expecting any snow peaks either this year !!!
    @Margot, I can only say thank goodness for you there in Nanoose Bay Margot. Never wished rain so much for the US and Canada. Hope the smoke dies down very soon for you.
    So chin up everyone, as Mani said it will dissapear soon !!!!????? Maybe !!!

25. emery

Actual LOL. No, Mani didn't say it (first) though!

Man it's dry, I did have to water finally, but yesterday did some damage (again).

My daughter reported an air quality of 350 in the Bay Area. That's "stay inside and breath with a mask" time...