Appreciation: Out and About

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by wcutler, May 24, 2020.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Yes. I think I remember reading somewhere that has now disappeared forever that that cultivar had more angular edges and 'Crispatum' had smoother wavy edges. Or I imagined it, but I did make a decision which name to use based on something. Here is a page that lists several cultivars; it doesn't have a photo of 'Wavy Gravy', but the 'Crispatum' photo looks pretty similar.
    Suncrest Nurseries, Inc.: Search Our Plant Database

Here is an interesting page from Plant Delights Nursery at Juniper Level Botanical Garden in North Carolina that has some history, starting back from the first name in 1768 - Arnica tussilaginea. On this page, 'Crispatum' doesn't match very well, but 'Fujuku Botan' matches well, as does 'Shishi'; I don't think their 'Wavy Gravy' matches as well, and the edges do look a little more angular. They mention that Farfugium japonicum hybridizes easily and the seedlings should not have cultivar names.
    Plant Delights Nursery

[Edited] I forgot to say that the leaves are tomentose on the top, but underneath, the hairs do not rub off.

Margot likes this.
  2. wcutler

There is still a LOT of colour in the Stanley Park Rose Garden. And a lot of fragrance. The Heliotropum arborescens that I had to work to smell last month are very fragrant now - I could smell them from across the road.
    Many of the roses are still looking good.
    Here is Rosa 'Take it Easy', a shrub rose. I don't usually go for red roses, but this has some interesting colouring happening in the centres.
    RosaTakeItEasy-Shrub_StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20200908_133136.jpg RosaTakeItEasy-Shrub_StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20200908_133219.jpg

And Rosa 'KORfocgri' (the sign says Summer Sun, the trademark name), a floribunda rose, which has shiny leaves that open a dark wine colour and then the green takes over but leaving some of the wine colour on the leaf margins. I posted another rose that does that in posting #52, calling it Rosa 'MEIkrotal', sold under the trade name Scarlet Meidiland (but I think I came up with that name myself, so who knows). Anyway, this one has great colour variations in the flowers and wonderful leaves. I think both these roses were fragrant.
    RosaSummerSun-Floribunda_StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20200908_133301.jpg RosaSummerSun-Floribunda_StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20200908_133307.jpg RosaSummerSun-Floribunda_StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20200908_133338.jpg RosaSummerSun-Floribunda_StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20200908_133407.jpg RosaSummerSun-Floribunda_StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20200908_133558.jpg

The Dahlia variabilis still look excellent, and there is a lot of texture in those beds with Cosmos 'Lemonade' (and C. 'Chocolate', but I didn't photograph that), and Ammi visnaga 'Green Mist' providing lots of skinny leaf infill, and still the stiff purple Verbena bonariensis looking fresh. Gardener Frankie gets to decide what to plant; she said she was aiming for an informal-looking planting to contrast with the more formal rose beds.
    Dahlia-variabilis_StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20200908_133741.jpg CosmosLemonade_StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20200908_142807.jpg Ammi-visnagaGreenMist_StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20200908_134502.jpg

On the other side of the path, near the Hydrangeas that I posted a while ago (in a separate thread, I think) is what might be Actaea simplex Atropurpurea Group 'Black Negligee'. Or maybe it's some other cultivar, but I thought the photo I found looked very similar. I used to like the name Cimicifuga, but never mind.
    Actaea-simplexAtropurpureaGroupBlackNegligee_StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20200908_142021.jpg Actaea-simplexAtropurpureaGroupBlackNegligee_StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20200908_142103.jpg Actaea-simplexAtropurpureaGroupBlackNegligee_StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20200908_142152.jpg

In the same bed is this very tidy looking showy Hakonechloa macra 'All Gold'.
    Hakonechloa macra 'All Gold'_StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20200908_142331.jpg Hakonechloa macra 'All Gold'_StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20200908_142345.jpg

Nik, Margot and Acerholic like this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@wcutler Good morning Wendy, regarding the red, what a rose to have had during these times. Wars of the Roses - Wikipedia

I do love seeing gardens with well tended borders as well as colours. Frankie should be congratulated on her efforts.
    The Stanley Park Rose Garden, shows no signs of late Summer tiredness, so thank goodness for your photos from a different time zone to extend the Summer, as here in England things are changing fast into Autumn now.

4. wcutler

OK, Douglas Justice went to all the trouble to talk about Dahlia variabilis in this August 2020 In the Neighbourhood - UBC Botanical Garden blog, so I finally paid attention long enough to photograph two of them at a building near me. It's going on mid-September, but the dahlias still look very colourful.
    Dahlia variabilis_ChilcoComox_Cutler_20200910_192903.jpg Dahlia variabilis_ChilcoComox_Cutler_20200910_192914.jpg

5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I do understand why plants are being re-assigned to different genera and that the names I took pains to learn are being changed but I know I'm not alone in saying it is driving me crazy to 'forget' the old names and remember the new ones!!!

wcutler likes this.
  6. Margot

Dahlias are certainly very colourful and blooming now in late summer is a bonus. I don't know why exactly, but I just don't like them. Too 'in your face' perhaps.

7. Acerholic

Some plants including Dahlias IMO, are what you might call Marmite, you either love it or you hate it. I have never grown them as I am in the latter camp with Margot.
    But I have friends that have grown them for competitions for many decades and they are the only thing they grow. They really do love them, as I do my maples.
    It is fortunate that we all have different tastes and likes. Otherwise our gardens would all look the same and how boring would that be !!!

8. Margot

I'm still chuckling at your mention of Marmite which I'd never heard about until some British friends once described it in glowing terms. Very apt.

Really I do agree on the whole that diversity in garden design provides great interest and stimulation to a neighbourhood but, at the same time, think of a time, not so long ago, when native vegetation prevailed - not cultivated - and can't imagine how incredibly beautiful that must have been for all its seeming uniformity.

Acerholic likes this.
  9. Acerholic

Totally agree Margot, there is nothing better than what nature throws up.

10. Nik

Nik Contributor

Small Ginkgo biloba outside my window at work. Picture is from the beginning of November last year. I hope the vibrant yellow repeats this year too.

Attached Files:

Margot and Acerholic like this.
  11. Acerholic

@Nik I don't think there is anything quite as yellow as a Ginko biloba in the Autumn. What a wonderful sight outside your office window N.

12. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The familiar one with that shade of yellow is 'Moonlight'

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2020
  13. wcutler

Thank you. I see that I photographed a C. verticillata at UBCBG six years ago called 'Moonbeam'.
    'Moonlight' has a later plant number (but it was introduced in 2008), grows a little taller, which is what it seems from my photos.

14. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I was thinking of 'Moonbeam' when I typed "Moonlight", do not know enough about the subject to comment on which the one shown might be.

15. wcutler

Things were still pretty active in the Stanley Park Rose Garden as of two days ago. I haven't checked what the storm yesterday did, but here's what it looked like then.
    StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20200922_143024.jpg

I was surprised to figure out that this is Nicotiana, I think the cultivar 'Tinkerbell'.
    NicotianaTinkerbell_StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20200922_142730.jpg NicotianaTinkerbell_StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20200922_142717.jpg

The Colletia is still in bloom, and I can still depend on getting a photo in focus. So I'm including it.
    ColletiaSp_StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20200922_141451.jpg

Gardener Frankie was there again, gave me the name of this fountain grass, Pennisetum 'Princess Molly'.
    PennisetumPrincessMolly_StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20200922_141222.jpg PennisetumPrincessMolly_StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20200922_141250.jpg

Today's rose is a hybrid tea - Rosa 'Eliza'.
    RosaEliza-HybridTea_StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20200922_141056.jpg RosaEliza-HybridTea_StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20200922_140606.jpg RosaEliza-HybridTea_StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20200922_140529.jpg RosaEliza-HybridTea_StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20200922_140958.jpg RosaEliza-HybridTea_StanleyPark-RoseGarden_Cutler_20200922_141026.jpg

16. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

I took a walk in my neighborhood to look at the trees...

Attached Files:

17. wcutler

I've seen the name Boehmeria quite a bit this year. Here is Boehmeria longispica, long racemose false nettle, at VanDusen Botanical Garden. This is dioecious, so these should be male flowers. I didn't know at the time to look for a female plant.
    Boehmeria-longispica_VanDusen_Cutler_20201002_142244.jpg Boehmeria-longispica_VanDusen_Cutler_20201002_142251.jpg Boehmeria-longispica_VanDusen_Cutler_20201002_142252.jpg

Margot and Acerholic like this.
  18. Acerholic

Took this photo of a lovley Amelanchier ovalis Serviceberry 100yds from my house in the Church yard this morning. Looked very Autumnal and pretty.

Attached Files:

Margot, Nik, pmurphy and 1 other person like this.
  19. Acerholic

On our walk this morning we came across this false virginia creeper. Parthenocissus inserta. A few days ago it hadn't turned, but now it glows of Autumnal brilliance. It also goes so well with the rusty corregated roof IMO.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

Good morning and what a beautiful one it is too here in Southern England. This one caught our eye whilst out walking a few minutes ago. Quercus rubra, Red oak. A non native to us here, but a very welcome addition. The sun was shining perfectly through the branches so I had to take a photo or three to share.

Attached Files:

Nik and pmurphy like this.
  21. Acerholic

On our early morning walk I saw these Cornus sanguinea Common dogwood trees. Thought they looked quite pretty in the Autumn sun.

Attached Files:

Nik likes this.
  22. Acerholic

Good morning, a very crisp and bright early start for our walk and the trees just yards from me are turning fast. This Acer rubrum was looking very colourful.

Attached Files:

pmurphy and Nik like this.
  23. Acerholic

Just out in the parkland we walk in. ( home of Issac Newton) and this wonderful Qurcus robur English Oak stood proud and bright in front of us.

Attached Files:

Nik likes this.
  24. Acerholic

A few days ago we walked along our river walk and I photographed the Common dogwood Cornus sanguinea. This morning it is now in flower.
    Very pretty but strange all the same.

Attached Files:

pmurphy likes this.
  25. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I don't take a lot of photos of Araucaria araucana, but was pleased by this one I snapped while hanging out somewhere. Took a closer view.

Attached Files: