Appreciation: Hooded coral root

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by hiking Pat, Sep 10, 2020.

1. hiking Pat

hiking Pat Active Member

Such a joy to see this whilst hiking Pine top at Sibbald Creek on June 15, 2020

Attached Files:

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Hello @hiking Pat. You have posted photos of so many beautiful plants on your hiking adventures! I am still mesmerized by Anemone occidentalis . . . thought I found a lead where seed could be obtained but, no.

Without giving away any personal information, could you share more details about how and where your hiking has led you? Whether you were on one long hike or several shorter ones? For someone like me who will never be able to travel where you have been, it would be fun to follow in your footsteps.

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

That's an interesting habitat for a Coralroot. I only find them in a forest setting; this looks like grassland. Were there any trees nearby? I thought that these orchids were parasitic on fungi that are mycorrhizal on trees.

4. hiking Pat

hiking Pat Active Member

Hi Margot, I love to hike and try and go at least once a week. I catalogue the flowers that I see. If it is allowed I can post a link to my little slide/videos with a brief description of where it is?

5. hiking Pat

hiking Pat Active Member

Hi Vitog,
    Pine top is in Kananaskis country , so lots of trees and streams.

Margot likes this.
  6. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Sure. I think this would be the place: Appreciation: - Out and About if there are a variety of plants, or select the forum for the plant group if you have focused on one.

Margot likes this.
  7. hiking Pat

hiking Pat Active Member

Thank you , I will do and feel free to correct any names as I am just learning and so enjoying all of your knowledge