Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Great size and shape. Looks like a robust plant. I think you are right, it will look much better next spring after a restful winter.

2. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

I want one lol

3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I thought I'd share with you a special weeping maple I found as a seedling about 6 or 7 years ago. I don't know who its parents may be but I didn't have a weeping maple then that I think would have been old enough to produce seeds.

I like the fact that it changes colour constantly from April through September and also that the leaves cup downward. I have named it after my granddaughter who is about the same age.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Margot A lovely maple with a lovely name. The wonderful thing about a seedling is that you can name it anything you want and a granddaughters name makes it that bit more special.
    Enjoyed seeing Acer Isla.

5. Acerholic

Good morning, I can't offer a lovely history about my maples as we heard from @Margot, but hope these will do to give a little cheer today.
    My favourite today in my garden is my Iijima Sunago, a little bit of morning dew made it shine.

Attached Files:

6. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Work, work, work.....I had to go over to our other lot to check out a used car. The gate was closed so I walked in from the street and noticed an interesting maple in the entrance I had never noticed before. Here's some other random shots. Everything is still green here.

Attached Files:

Nik, LoverOfMaples, ROEBUK and 4 others like this.
  7. Acerholic

@dangerine49 good morning J, annoying when work gets in the way of the garden, lol. That is a beautiful old dissectum and the new growth is amazing. Looking at the trunk size I would say 20 year plus tree !!!?.
    I see you are getting plenty of rain there in Long Island, bet your trees are enjoying it.
    Love all your other photos and the final two with the chest is very artistic.

8. Acerholic

Good morning, well after seeing the rain on tbe leaves from J @dangerine49, it was strange to see my maples with such 'very dry' leaves this morning. Not a hint of dew.
    So here are a few getting ready for 25° C again this week !! What a year !!!!!!!. My favourite in my garden this morning is Aureum, now I am thinking that this is going to be a year of bright colours all Summer with this one, then brown curling leaves that drop before any Autumn colour. The signs are there!!!
    We will see.

Attached Files:

Nik, ROEBUK, dicky5ash and 4 others like this.
  9. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

New growth and the start of fall colour in my garden this morning. Pictures are of Fireglow, Jordan, Azuma Murasaki, Autumn moon (plus last picture), Sensu, Shidava gold and Sango kaku.

Attached Files:

Nik, ROEBUK, dicky5ash and 6 others like this.
  10. Acerholic

@MapleMO good morning M on this lovely September day. Your Fireglow does what it says on the tin !!!! I don't have that one, so I'm really enjoying yours.
    All these Spring like photos at this time of year is so weired, but I will take it, lol. You never know what is to come over the next few months!!?
    The Shirasawanum's are wonderful everywhere it seems, no matter what country or continent. Another stunning Autumn Moon from the Netherlands.
    All looking very healthy. You must be pleased M !!?

11. Acerholic

So much digging this last couple of hours, just had to sit down for a coffee, but as I did so, these 3 looked good enough to post.
    My Manyo no sato was hazy in the morning sun, the photo is not blurred I promise, Lol.

Attached Files:

12. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

Good morning D, yes hopefully my Fireglow will colour up to flaming red all over in a few weeks. It is still small so I am looking forward to it getting a little bigger. I really enjoy my Autumn moon in all seasons. For me it usually has better fall colour than my Aureum which just browns and shrivels up unlike yours which looks awesome! Mine is still green and still pushing new growth...

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

@MapleMO thankyou for your kind comments about my Aureum M.
    I do have my suspicions that mine will go the same way as yours in the next few weeks. But we will see. Btw I purchased a lovely Mr Sun from the nursery close to you just last week. ( Esveld). 'Absolute quality'!!! And the packaging was second to none IMO.
    Think Fireglow might be the star of the Maples forum this Autumn. A few have it and some recently purchased their very first. Look forward to seeing them all, including yours M.

MapleMO likes this.
  14. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Are all fall pictures staying in this thread for this year? if so here we go. First time i have had a good look round the garden for at least a week now , so fed up with this bloody weather still blowing and raining !!!! Will be surprised if most of my container trees will make it to October but ' hey ho' , so much leaf dropping at present without much colour to show. The ground trees are still holding well though. Selection of pics from today some well on the way and some just starting .

Attached Files:

Nik, dangerine49, wind-borne and 5 others like this.
  15. Acerholic

@ROEBUK good afternoon M, it maybe wet and windy there in West Yorkshire, but once again you have some beautiful trees to show. How you have done this with what you have had this Spring and Summer is absolutly amazing. I bet your garden will still be ablaze with colour in a few weeks.
    I was interested to see Keith Beard's trees not looking too good this season on his latest video, (Aconitifolium). Such a difficult year for everyone!!!
    Yes it looks like this is going to be the go to thread for Autumn photos as well. A lot of PM's received asking for it to continue.

ROEBUK and monicasanchez like this.
  16. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Good afternoon. What a marvel of maples. The fireglow has literally made me fall in love. Spectacular.

Today Monday is being a rainy day. It takes all day, and it looks like it will continue tomorrow.

Yesterday I moved my maples. Until now they were under a fig tree (Ficus carica) and a shading net, but at some times of the day the sun gave them a little. And the fig tree has not been happy to have so much shade.

I made them a kind of greenhouse, but with shading mesh. It's not particularly pretty, but I hope it is useful and that next summer the maples can be better than this.

I upload photos of everything, maples, and the garden. Today it seems that autumn has arrived!

20200907_091438.jpg 20200907_091457.jpg 20200907_091503.jpg 20200907_091512.jpg IMG-20200907-WA0021.jpg IMG_20200907_170717_113.jpg IMG-20200907-WA0022.jpg

Attached Files:

Nik, dangerine49, ROEBUK and 2 others like this.
  17. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Er...
    WOW !

ROEBUK likes this.
  18. Acerholic

@monicasanchez I think you are right Monica, Autumn has arrived in Mallorca, rain at last, but I bet its still over 25 °C Lol.
    You are protecting your maples so well, brilliant shading material and some light still gets through 'well done' !!!
    They will thank you next Spring with a wonderful display, you just wait and see.
    Regarding Fireglow, I couldn't agree more, it's quite an outstanding cultivar.

monicasanchez likes this.
  19. Acerholic

Good morning, and what a very grey and overcast one it is here in Southern England. Very warm though!!!
    Here are some that looked OK and my particular favourite today is Baldsmith.
    Have my 6 monthly delivery of top soil etc etc arriving shortly, so lots of digging to do to prepare for planting out. As I type this the sun makes an appearance!!!!

Attached Files:

Nik, ROEBUK, AlainK and 2 others like this.
  20. Acerholic

Good morning, so much warmth here in England once again. I have maples in Autumn colours, some in Spring new growth and others defoliating. So very strange.
    My personal favourite in my garden today is my Crimson Queen.

Attached Files:

Nik, ROEBUK, dangerine49 and 4 others like this.
  21. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Good Morning.

It's still hot here. Yesterday's maximum temperature was 25.7ºC, although fortunately the minimum was 15.3ºC.

It is much better than a few weeks ago.

@Acerholic your maples are very pretty. That Shirazz is gorgeous! It's in shadow, right?

Greetings and good Wednesday!

Acerholic likes this.
  22. Acerholic

@monicasanchez good morning Monica and thankyou for your kind words.
    Yes my Shirazz is in morning sun and a lot of afternnon shade.
    Glad your temperatures are coming down quickly now. Sounds very pleasant indeed.

And a good Wednesday to you also.

23. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

How many cultivars do you have now D?
    Fab photos :)

Acerholic likes this.
  24. Acerholic

@dicky5ash good afternoon R thankyou. Sheepishly I will say 150. Lol.

25. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

I didn’t realise twombleys had that recticulated leave I’d have picked one up at Batsford if I’d known