JM recommendations for shadier areas

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Southernwayfarer, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Southernwayfarer

Southernwayfarer New Member

My house runs east to west on the lot. On each side of the house I have a narrow yard that is a bit shadier than the front and back. The north sides is particularly shady. I'm looking for recommendations of JMs that do well in the shade. It's not completely dark and if I put them on the edges of the front or back yard they can get a reasonable amount of morning or afternoon sun (respectively). I'd be particularly interested in cultivars that have some type of color (not green) in the shade. I have an Ukigumo that I was going to put in one spot. Looking for other ideas. Thank you in advance.

2. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

Morning sun is best for all JMs, but some cope well in shade.

Shin deshojo (new growth is coral red is good with some sun), aka shigtatsu sawa, and Ukigumo are three varieties in my collection that meet your desires. Shigatatsu sawa and aka shigatatsu sawa are great in shade, though they tend to tall and lanky in those conditions). I suspect that varieties in the ghost series of cultivars will also do well in shade, but I have no experience with them.

Also, shirawanum 'Aurem' or the Golden Full Moon maple is worth finding a way to accommodate away from full sun. Yes, it is 'green', but you've gotta see it to believe it!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  3. Southernwayfarer

Thank you @Osoyoung. I've been interested in a Shin deshojo. I'll keep that in mind. Shirawanum 'Aurem' looks amazing. The Davidsan's Japanese Maples website says that Shirawanum 'Aurem' is very challenging to grow. They're in the midwest, outside of Springfield Illinois so not sure if that has something to do with it. What's your experience?

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Southernwayfarer good morning J, all Japanese maples are under story trees, so do well in dappled shade. There are some that prefer more of this and that is the ghosts and reticulated varieties. The Shirasawanum's do not like windy positions and will burn quickly if placed here. But as J @Osoyoung said, morning sun and afternoon shade is preferable.
    The reds prefer a lot more sun to keep their colours throughout the Summer months, so if placed in a shady position you will see them green up very quickly.

In a lot of shade and protection together with Ukigumo a Beni Hime would do well. This one is a dwarf but keeps a lot of interest throughout the Summer months in shade.
    But if you want a deep colour, then Purple ghost holds these very well in the shadier position. It also has a lovey contrast with Ukigumo.
    I have all the ghosts and I keep them in morning sun until 1100hrs and full afternoon shade. All do well here.
    The other that does well in the shade in my garden is Reticulatum purple, very similar to the ghost series in interest.
    Hope that is of a little help.

5. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

@Southernwayfarer, I had a large (5 foot) Aurem that came to me with a nectria infection. By the time I recognized the infection, it was too late. It was then difficult to find a replacement as they just weren't available in this area for a number of years. Meanwhile my landscape shrunk (i.e., things grew!) to the point that we decided to not replace it.

Perhaps the best testimony pro/con is to see if the Aurem is still living at the UW Washington Park Arboretum. It has been many years since I've visited, but there was a large, mature one there. The Japanese garden in the park also had a shigatatsu sawa by the tea house. You should take a look there too if you have a chance in the next few weeks. There are many other JM in the Japanese garden!!

6. Southernwayfarer

I'll plan to pay a visit to the UW Arboretum. Thanks for the tip and the advice.

7. Harcuvar

Harcuvar Member

@Southernwayfarer

I see you’re near Seattle like me. If you can find Usugumo it does well in the shade. I have one planted that gets about 2 hours of sun per day.

It looks like Conifer Kingdom down in Oregon has some if you’re interested. It’s a pretty uncommon cultivar.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  8. Acerholic

Would love to see another photo of your Usugumo G @Harcuvar. It was very pretty in April that I remember.

9. Harcuvar

Harcuvar Member

Sure. Most recent pic from late July (green). I’m waiting for fall colors.
    Here’s the Spring colors (peach). Pretty neat.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  10. Acerholic

@Harcuvar that is a lovely tree G. Definatly on my wish list. Thanks for sharing it.
    Look forward to seeing it in a few weeks.

11. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Wow! That is beautiful. I have one being shipped toward the end of this month.

12. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples an Usigumo D, that is Christmas come early !!! Lol.

13. Southernwayfarer

That is a beautiful tree @Harcuvar. I'll keep Usugumo in mind. I'm interested in doing an excursion down into Oregon to hit some of the larger maple dealers. This adds another reason. Does anyone have recommendations for nurseries in the Portland OR area besides Conifer Kingdom?

14. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

'Red Dragon' is mentioned as having superior color retention in shade. The Evergreen Arboretum and Gardens in Everett has a pretty good assortment of Japanese maples all together in a comparatively small area among shading native conifers - I would go there to look at cultivars of these trees in preference to the Seattle arboretum.

Experience the variety and beauty of our Japanese Maple Grove, with over 700* named cultivars

Evergreen Arboretum and Gardens

Except where the Seattle facility is known to have a specific variety of interest, not known to be more accessible elsewhere in the area. Because anything being looked for there has to be tracked down inside a 200 acre park.

Living Collection Search | University of Washington Botanic Gardens

The Rhododendron Species Botanical Garden also has some nice Japanese maples, often of some size. Again all contained within a smaller area than the Seattle arboretum. With in addition most of them being near the entrance - a noteworthy exception being a somewhat venerable looking, mossy trunked golden full moon maple which is instead down near the pond in the SE corner.

Rhododendron Species Botanical Garden – Federal Way, Wa

*Presumably this is a typo - maybe it was supposed to be 70?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  15. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

That's a pretty 'Usugumo', but it is a tetchy maple to grow, also. There is no autumn color to speak of. And (if that's not enough!) it's a Chinese maple, a cultivar of A. pictum. All that said, if you can find it, buy one, because it's a fabulous maple and very rare as difficult to graft.

'Garnet' if you want a "laceleaf", or 'Pixie' for a red leaved small maple, both keep their color well in shade. No doubt there are many options as well as those good suggestions here.

16. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

May I add an unusual suggestion..A.P.Orange Dream seems to thrive in deep shade.It won't give you the orange colours for which it's named but will reward you with bright lime green foliage in shade and a decent fall colour.

AlainK likes this.
  17. Acerholic

Can I second that from @Houzi, Orange Dream is very much a shade loving maple. In fact it doesn't enjoy the sun very much at all.

AlainK likes this.
  18. Houzi

Really? that surprises me as it needs sun to live up to it's name.I never tried it in the sun.

19. Acerholic

@Houzi good morning, I tried mine in a sunnier area many years ago and it fried. Now in a very shady area in my garden and no problems at all.
    Yesterday's photo of the leaves after everything that has been thrown at it this Summer. Plus new growth on second photo a few days earlier.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  20. Houzi

Good morning to you too,looks like it's gonna be a nice day.Your OD still looks lovely,and still bright green.Hope it gets the lovely 2tone fall colour later :)

21. Acerholic

@Houzi thanks, yes I think we are all just waiting for all the colours to start. Some are already !!
    A lovely day for the whole of the South of England, let's make the most of it out in the garden !!!

22. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Like 'Katsura', the orange colour shows when it leafs out.

23. Houzi

Hello Alain,hope you've been keeping well.Well I just didn't want someone to read my suggestion and be disappointed.Mine never showed any more orange than any other green JM really,so I assumed it must be the lack of sun.Certainly didn't look like some of the lovely photos I've seen.

24. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

No worries : here, 'Katsura' and 'Orange dream' are the fist to leaf out (with 'Little Princess'), and they do have a more vivid orange colour than the plain species or other cultivars.

I don't know if yours are in the ground or potted. Nearly all of mine are potted and whatever the species, I noticed two things :

- recently repotted ones (in a more acidic soil) show a lot more of their colours
    - those that are trimmed also show a lot more colours.

But yes, it would be a mistake to think that they keep their colours long into the season. When in full sun, 'O.D.' stays a yellow colour quite long, but gets burnt or has leaf spots. In the shade, as you said it has a very nice tender green colour.

25. Houzi

Well sadly I lost that one.Appears it's a spot I can't grow maples in.3 trees have died there in succession,easy to suspect VW,but obviously is something bad there so no more maples will be put there.Thanks for the info,I've always suspected my alkaline chalk may have a bearing on fall colours,didn't realise it could affect them at other times.However Sango K,Shaina&Bi hoo are reliable.Not sure I agree with the sun=better fall colours theory though,despite a few trials I've seen with masking of leaves.I have found that moving mine into the sun has the opposite effect...for me the jury's still out on that.
    Looks like it could be time to unpack the shorts again Alain,summer's not over yet :)