Chinese gardens in late fall

Discussion in 'Japanese Gardens' started by Nik, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Nik

Nik Contributor

Photos may be helpful for ideas for your own garden.

Attached Files:

2. vbx

vbx Active Member

Wow, that is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

3. Nik

Nik Contributor

Few more images.

Attached Files:

Margot and Acerholic like this.
  4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Nik , absolutely loved all these photos N. Nobody does it quite like the Japanese, however hard we all try.

5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

@Nik - I'm confused if your photos show Chinese gardens or Japanese gardens - or both. Can you tell us where they are located?

Apparently, the art of bonsai originated in China.

I'm reminded of a beautiful Chinese garden in Vancouver BC - Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden. Home - Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden

6. Nik

Nik Contributor

Suzhou, China.
    I find the esthetic of Chinese and Japanese gardens vaguely similar, but their overall feel is so very different.

Attached Files:

7. Nik

Nik Contributor

I have another post with Japanese garden photos, mostly from Kyoto. This thread is Chinese gardens.

8. Acerholic

@Nik my Apology N. Nobody does it quite like the Chinese!!!!!! Lol.
    Both equally so good though.

9. Acerholic

If you could say in a sentence the feel you have in both and the difference, what would it say N ?

10. Nik

Nik Contributor

Hi D, I guess both cultures like to “frame” garden views. Chinese seem to like smaller frames, Japanese go for slightly more open views. Chinese gardens allow some more natural growth, Japanese gardens are meticulously maintained. I will never forget the level of maintenance of a moss garden in Kyoto, my back yard is mostly moss, I will never be able to accomplish that...
    On a different note, a Chinese friend of mine told me several years ago that she does not like bonsai, because it reminds her of the horrible tradition of foot binding. Ever since then, I can’t bring myself to have any bonsai trees in my property. It is just a visceral reaction... I still do appreciate a great bonsai, I just cannot see myself working to create one.

Acerholic likes this.
  11. Acerholic

@Nik @Nik thankyou for that N, I have never been to either country and probably never will. To hear first hand experiences here on the forum is something better than any books or internet.
    Foot binding, how monstrerous!! But things that happened hundreds of years ago are so different to our principles nowadays. Resigned to the history books where they belong, but to be learned by.

Thanks again for your insight N.

12. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

That's exactly how I've always felt about bonsai too - beautiful, but . . .

The practice of binding little girls' feet did not completely end in China until 1949!
    Footbinding | Chinese history