Virtual Garden Tour 2000-2021

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Margot, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Nik, you wouldn't want to take away his parasol!! Well caught photo N.

2. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Only one today...plants are really slowing down now but there's still a couple that will bloom before the Fall colors kick in.

Turtlehead 'Hot Lips'

Attached Files:

Nik and Acerholic like this.
  3. scilover

scilover Member

you have such beautiful plants and flowers. Hope your plants are healthy forever. i can even start gardening since I'm too busy

4. Acerholic

@pmurphy, your Chelone lyonii 'Hot Lips', is so cute and what a name, reminds me of M.A.S.H. lol.
    You are right everything in the garden is slowing down now. Starting to look a little tired over here.

5. pmurphy

Two surprises today that I wasn't expecting quite yet....

Hardy cyclamen
    Toad lily

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

@pmurphy, so delicate P and is that rain I see there on the Toad lily?
    Please send some here !!!!

7. pmurphy

8. Acerholic

@pmurphy, ahhh I see, your in the same boat as us then. Let's hope we all get some rain soon.

9. Acerholic

We have had rain at last and my garden has really enjoyed it. Whilst I was out standing in a shower smelling the wonderful Summer rain as you do, a little friend joined me.

Attached Files:

pmurphy likes this.
  10. pmurphy

I love the interaction I have with the birds in my gardens.
    Yesterday while watering there was a little female Anna's hummingbird that hovered about 30cm from my face giving me heck because she wanted to feed on my fuchsias. I watered the other side of the yard first so she could have lunch in peace. And then there is "George" (as in curious George) the resident male that has often hovered and had a drink from the hose while I'm watering with it.

Acerholic likes this.
  11. Acerholic

@pmurphy, that must be amazing P. As you say a relationship, that says it all about the type of gardener you are. A sharing nature !!

12. pmurphy

Discovered a few more stragglers today, and a couple more surprises...

Rose of Sharon "Satin Rose' - smaller blossoms and a delicate shade of pink
    Cinnamon vine
    Climbing blueberry ripening fruit- said to be edible but definitely not palatable (trust me on that)
    Surprise #1: "Little Ruby' fig - there was no sign of fruit two days ago
    Surprise / shock #2: dwarf palmetto has decided to start sending up a flower stalk. I know of only a handful of people who have this palm locally and have never heard of anyone mentioning it flowering.

Attached Files:

13. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

My gladioluses are starting to bloom. 2020-08-15 00.22.02.jpg

2020-08-15 00.23.12.jpg

2020-08-15 01.00.31.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Nik, Acerholic and pmurphy like this.
  14. Acerholic

@pmurphy, look forward to seeing a photo when the dwarf palmetto does flower P.
    Enjoyed the close ups.

15. Acerholic

@Sulev, Summer has arrived in Estonia. Lovely healthy Gladioli Sulev.

16. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Thanks to you, Acerholic! You sent some warmth here!

Acerholic likes this.
  17. Acerholic

@Sulev, so now you can send cheerful Summer photos Sulev, whilst gardens over here start to look a little tired??
    That's the beauty of gardens from all over the world on these forums.

It would also be nice to see more from Australia, New Zealand etc etc, when we are all in Winter in the northern hemisphere.

18. pmurphy

Well the plants now starting to blossom definitely indicate that Fall is approaching...

An unknown variety of clumping grass
    Monkey grass
    Scarlet river lily aka Kaffir lily - interesting thing about this plant is that it doesn't acclimate to the season like most plants; it blossoms only during early spring and into summer in South Africa (aka the southern hemisphere) where it is native and will blossom at the same time here in the northern hemisphere. This means it will flower from about September to December regardless of where you live (which would explain why it is not often seen here).
    ...obviously my plants think it's already September :)

Attached Files:

Margot, Nik and Acerholic like this.
  19. Acerholic

@pmurphy, your photo of the Monkey grass P is just so beautiful. Re September, I think my garden has that feeling also. The seasons are definatly shifting !!!

20. Acerholic

I haven't had much to show from my garden for a while, all looking a bit tired now. But these are doing OK. The one surprise is my Rhodedenron dwarf impeditum 'Blue tit' coming into flower again. Never seen this in August before, what a strange year!!!
    Tried to get a close up of my Chamaecyparis nootkatensis pendula 'Green arrow'. I really love close ups.
    Hostas doing OK for the time of year also.
    Lots of rain atm, so perhaps a few more will pick up a little before Autumn.

Attached Files:

Nik and pmurphy like this.
  21. pmurphy

I have several plants that started flowering normally but only put out one or two blossoms then stopped for a month or so before putting out more and really flowering - probably due to the cold, wet start we had.
    I also have some plants that flowered when they are supposed to in the spring AND are flowering again now - maybe due to the cold June we had and now heat?
    Then there is the one cactus that set buds in the spring (like it usually does) but has refused to flower even though my other varieties have long finished....and now it appears to be "waking up" and thinking about finally flowering - can't explain that one because the growing conditions in the Garden are the same for all the cacti.

Definitely a strange year

22. Acerholic

@pmurphy good afternoon P. I don't know whether it's a year to remember or not, for more reasons than just the garden. My daughter and son in law were both hit by Covid 19 in March/ April. Gosh they were ill. Fully recovered now thankfully.

Lots of strange happenings in the garden regarding colours and growth etc over here. I have mentioned it in other threads, that the lockdown reduced pollution and allowed solar rays to penetrate more. This has been highlighted in Science journals regarding solar panels across the globe, so why not our plants being affected !!??
    I find it fascinating tbh.

But as you said P, "definatly a strange year".

23. Acerholic

Good morning, I thought I would show how the rain that we are having plenty of atm, sits on my Cryptomeria Japonica 'Elegans'.
    Sometimes in life, it's the simple things that really do give us the most pleasure.
    Hope you enjoy these as much as they did my wife and I.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    Nik, wcutler and pmurphy like this.
  24. pmurphy

I got out in the gardens for the first time since last Wednesday and made the mistake of looking up....just when I was starting to enjoy not having to do anything I notice all this ripening fruit.
    image 1) Unknown variety of plum - it was a volunteer that just came up one year.
    image 2) Red delicious apple - luckily there is still time as they are not harvested until after the first frost
    image 3) Seaberry - I'll have to find a recipe for these this year
    image 4) Chinese chestnut - hopefully I can get them this year before the squirrels

Then there's a few more indicators of the approaching season...
    image 5) Japanese cedar - mine is starting to show the red Fall color
    image 6) Paperbush - starting to set buds for the late winter/early spring flowering

And finally, just because...
    image 7) Pink dogwood fruit
    image 8) Rudbeckia

Attached Files:

Margot, Nik, wcutler and 1 other person like this.
  25. Acerholic

@pmurphy, how further along you are P. Your Cryptomeria is what mine will look like in a few weeks time.
    A delicious and bountiful harvest to be had by you also.
    Very Autumnal photos that show we are nearly into another season. The colours are lovely P.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.