Acer palmatum 'Tsuma gaki'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mendocinomaples, Apr 6, 2005.

1. blake

blake Active Member 10 Years

Thanks, Matt. Will do. I always thought I had a decent handle on differentiating between the two; Tsuma beni having narrower lobes and being more dissected...

2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

It's a pity that it gets leaf spot every year, it's so beautiful when it leafs out.

Apart from spraying it with a copper-based fungicide after leaf fall and before budbreak, can you think of another solution ?

April/May/August 2020 :

acerp-tsuma-gaki_200405a.jpg acerp-tsuma-gaki_200508a.jpg acerp-tsuma-gaki_200818a.jpg

LoverOfMaples and Acerholic like this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@AlainK, you have done amazingly in the circumstances this year Alain. 40° heat, its surprising it looks as good as it does.
    Btw talking about Tsuma gaki, have you seen Phantom flame? A cross between TG and a ghost. It's got the Wow factor!!!

4. AlainK

I saw pics from the web, but it's not listed in the cultivars section of the forum : if someone has one, maybe they can post a few pictures.

Apparently neither Maillot (France) or Esveld (Netherlands) have it...

5. Acerholic

@AlainK, D @LoverOfMaples had one but lost it, he said he will replace, so I'm hoping for some photos on the cultivar section.
    I shouldn't be saying this, but it's on my list !!!!! Lol

6. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

I will post pics as soon as I get it. I also will check to see if I have old photos somewhere.

7. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, good afternoon D, great to hear. I believe the grower was someone you have bought from before, De Silva ??? I might have the name wrong but I'm sure it's similar.

8. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

It's hard enough trying to keep the tsuma gaki's and the ghost's growing separately , so we now need something different to confuse us more !! why not just concentrate on the first two. So i take it it's going to be a reticulated green leafed red edged cultivar ? which does what exactly that the other two don't ??

9. Acerholic

@ROEBUK good afternoon M. You are so right. That's the addict in me talking !!!! Lol. A Yorkshireman putting a Hampshireman straight !!!

ROEBUK likes this.
  10. ROEBUK

Always find this cultivar a strange one to keep happy , yes the early spring colours do stand out and are very eye catching , then you have the period afterwards which i always find have a few surprises in store if you don't have situated in the right spot. The only solution with this cultivar is shade then more shade to keep it happy. Added some pictures of two of mine, the first four pics are from 2016 where this is a north facing aspect but slightly having some more late evening sun to the side of it. Have put the seasons in each of the boxes May to Oct 2016 stunning fall colours . The next tree is another tsuma gaki cultivar but this is placed further down the path at the corner of the house (still north) but doesn't get as much evening sun. Again May and Aug pics from 2020 the greens are still holding colour with no major scorching or leaf damage, also you can see the red hues just starting to show slightly , so fingers crossed we should have a nice red fall showing from this one seems to like it's new spot.

Attached Files:

AlainK, LoverOfMaples and Acerholic like this.
  11. ROEBUK

Nice one D Lol , funnily enough have just sent a Aoyagi off to Basingstoke to live , mind you i told it it' needs to have some sun tan lotion with it and not to expect to much rain down there!! :):)

Acerholic likes this.
  12. Acerholic

@ROEBUK might need sunglasses that far South !!! Are you having a bit of a clear out M ?

13. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Lol, Lucile @Whitman Farm. Ive gotten most of my trees from her.

Good memory D. You are thinking of Crispin Silva.

14. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples ahh fairly close then D. You have mentioned Whiman Farm before. Obviously you are very pleased with the trees they supply. Recommendations are very important on the forum. So many people ask for the best nursery to buy their new maples.
    It is difficult to not to be seen as advertising though, quite a fine balance!!

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  15. ROEBUK

Just sorting out space for the larger trees which i will be lifting shortly , so cultivars of the same variety which i already have say 2,3. 4 etc are going so i only will be keeping one each of any one one variety , this way i can have more of what i have never had before:)

16. Acerholic

@ROEBUK , ahh I see M, makes a lot of sense. So new ones on order next month ??

17. ROEBUK

Will have to see about this D , usually go to Packhorse farm every year to see if he has any thing that catches my eye , this is the first time in many years i haven't been able to go for the obvious reasons we all know about. Have more than enough though to keep me occupied ,just need to work out where i am re positioning various cultivars for next year.

18. Romain01

Romain01 Well-Known Member Maple Society

"Tsuma gaki" and "Red nails" are the same variety ? (
    some nurseries sell both varieties...)

19. Acerholic

And oh so similar to tsuma beni.

D

Romain01 likes this.
  20. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

'Tsuma gaki' = "persimmon nails"

'Tsuma beni' = "red nails"

Here are the original Japanese characters for 'Tsuma gaki': 爪  柿 (might not display properly on some devices)

Romain01 and Acerholic like this.
  21. AlainK

Mine still had a few leaf spots, but it was not as bad as last year : July 30th, Nov. 3d and 8th :

acerp-tsuma-gaki_211015a.jpg acerp-tsuma-gaki_211103a.jpg acerp-tsuma-gaki_211108b.jpg

Xi-feng, Romain01, maf and 2 others like this.
  22. AlainK

No, it's not because of a gust of wind, look at the 'Starfish' behind. Definitely one of the best in the spring :

acerp-tsuma-gaki_220408a.jpg

maf, Xi-feng, Acerholic and 1 other person like this.
  23. AlainK

So pretty...

This morning :

acerp-tsuma-gaki_220412a.jpg

Acerholic and Xi-feng like this.