Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Hello, hello.

I have not participated in this beautiful thread for a long time. After reading Alain's message, and seeing the photos of his "ugly maples" ... I still don't feel like showing mine. I promise to do it shortly.

My maples are ... they're alive. It is very hot here. We have had a maximum temperature of 38 degrees, and this week we had 34. Today we expect 33 degrees. Luckily, the minimum temperature begins to drop, although it still remains around 20 degrees.

My maples have suffered enough. All except the Seyriu. After fertilizing, Beni maiko and Atropurpureum are putting out new leaves. But we'll see. I hope the rains come soon.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning, today I thought I would do a wet day especially for Monica @monicasanchez.
    Perhaps it will help a little to cool things down for her.
    Tried our best to blow our heat to Sulev @Sulev which seems to have worked so let's blow this wet stuff to Monica and J @zfrittz.

Those constant high temperatures do take their toll on our maples. So no embarrassment in showing any of our disasters this year !!
    My Beni Shigitatsu Sawa is my offering in the Little shop of horrors today.
    Red Dragon and Red feather are for P @pphdam, as last night it was a bit dark when I took the photos for him.

Attached Files:

Cjart, Nik, dangerine49 and 4 others like this.
  3. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Thanks for my part, Acerholic. It is a joy to see your photos.

Let's see if the cool English weather is encouraged and goes down for Spain hehehe

4. Acerholic

@monicasanchez good evening Monica and thankyou for the kind comments. I do hope you get some of our English weather very soon, although the last few weeks have been typically Spanish here in England.
    On another thread @Arlette has been telling me that she is suffering intense heat in Rome atm. So it is quite wide spread across Europe. It must hopefully break soon for you all.

monicasanchez likes this.
  5. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

The heat is travelling from the Western Europe to the east - towards the Black Sea.
    Model prognosis for Europe for next 3 days:
    Europe |

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    monicasanchez likes this.
  6. Acerholic

@Sulev, good evening Sulev, just saw the projection, its definatly on it's way to you. Warm soil at last !!!!

7. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Just to let everyone know we have had the gas fire on since 6.pm it's a bit cool in the north at present :) :)

Acerholic likes this.
  8. Acerholic

@ROEBUK, good morning M, a little cold last night down South also. But the fire on !!!! Autumn colours from you first on the thread this year then !!?? Lol.

9. Acerholic

Good morning, well as M @ROEBUK said, "it's quite a bit cooler here in the UK". Here are a few after a lot of overnight rain. It goes from one extreme to another!!!
    Also added a couple at the end for the Little shop of horrors. Bi-hoo, Metamorphosa and Jordan. These have not fared well during the heatwave. But if you know these three, they always do struggle in the Summer. Surprisingly Orange dream has done well.

Attached Files:

10. ROEBUK

Bi hoo gave up with those years ago, think the Metamorphosa could be a problem plant in the coming years as well , always have a good showing with the Jordan though. Serious rain here today very heavy and prolonged trees should look happy tomorrow.

11. Acerholic

@ROEBUK, agree M, there are times when you have to say that some cultivars are just too difficult.
    Glad you are getting the rain, as you say everything is picking up now.

12. Acerholic

Good morning, what a night here in the South of England, thunderstorms and heavy rain all night long. Sleep what sleep!!!
    Here are a few that looked nice through my lens this morning, they do look a lot better than I feel tbh.
    My favourite today in my garden is Trompenburg.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

Just skipped yet another heavy shower, so took these on a green theme.
    These will give their wonderful colours in just a few weeks.
    They are often overlooked all Summer, as they do find it hard to compete with the reds and the ghosts.
    My grandchildren tend to ignore them, commenting more on the vivid colours of others in my garden.
    But as a lover of the complexities of all the leaf forms, I do not think they should be ignored. So no excuses for posting these today.

Attached Files:

14. ROEBUK

Just managed a few pictures before the heavens opened and wow did it rain!! The Hogyoku is turning in places and quite a few others are showing slight colour hue's already.

Attached Files:

Nik, monicasanchez, zfrittz and 4 others like this.
  15. Acerholic

@ROEBUK, good evening M. So glad you did, they are all amazing. The Hogyoku is looking like it's Autumn already. What a year for Ukigumo, might be another few years like the Shirasawanum's for this to happen, so I'm enjoying it whilst I can.
    Don't complain about the rain, it's been a long time coming. It's the wind on storm 'Kyle' I'm more worried about.

Lovely colour M.

16. Acerholic

Good morning, well through the night we had what Forest Gump would call "big fat rain". Tbh I think this could well have been called Obese rain!! It was really bouncing off the ground.
    Anyway, a dry garden this morning and I had to add my Ukigumo after seeing M @ROEBUK lovely specimen last night.
    My favourite today is my 'Orido Nishiki', mainly because it was struggling in the heat, now lots of lovely new growth. I hope the frosts don't come too early this year !!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  17. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

A species which is rarely disappointing for its colours, and almost free of any diseases is Acer buergerianum. I just posted a photo of a small one in the "Maple Photo Gallery". A favourite for bonsai enthusiasts : easy to reproduce from cuttings or air-layers, the leaves and internodes reduce well and it can stand major pruning too.

The first two pictures are seedlings in 9 or 11 cm plastic pots. Though they're watered daily, they're probably rootbound so they begin to show their autumn colours :

acerb-div_200818aa.jpg acerb-div_200818a.jpg

The third one is in full sun, in a 30cm plastic cup, the last one is in the ground, in the shade/dappled shade :

acerb-div_200818b.jpg acerb-div_200818c.jpg

18. Acerholic

@AlainK, the differances between pot and ground colours are so evident. Something M @ROEBUK mentioned the other evening. What I also find fascinating is the difference in colours in areas. I understand continents etc, so you will see this, but sometimes just a few miles away (16) as in @Jaybee63 and myself.
    They never cease to amaze !!!!!

19. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

@Acerholic asked me in another thread to share some of my maple photos.
    I have very limited number of maple species and specimens nearby and I can't take photos of such abundant selection of beauties like you here, but I still share some of my recent photos.

Our most common maple, A. platanoides, starts to show strong signs of the Rhytisma acerinum infection. No autumn coloring yet.
    20200818_172129_resized.jpg

My A. tegmentosums, that I sowed this winter with 3 of 4 survival rate (of sprouted plants, not seeds, one seedling was killed by mice) however show kind of autumn colors already. Maybe this is above mentioned effect of containerized vs in the ground. I have no comparision in the ground yet, so can't tell.
    20200818_172919_resized.jpg

My pseudosieboldianum seedlings, that I sowed at the same time, did not survive the mice attack and the havoc they caused. I visited the Japanese Garden two weeks ago to spy out if there are some seeds on Asian maples, that will get ripe this autumn, but it seems, that this spring and summer was not so favourable for maples's seeds - I did not see any seeds. The other people there were photoshooting water lilies and did look at me with kind of suspicious look, when I photographed maples, so I did not take too many shots, but here is one:
    20200803_193229_resized.jpg

Nik, monicasanchez, zfrittz and 2 others like this.
  20. AlainK

Ha ha ha ! Everybody knows that maple lovers are crazy ;°)

Is that a mushroom in the bottom right-hand corner of the last picture ?

Your Acer tegmentosum : yes, potted plants show signs of stress earlier than those in the ground, but they don't look so bad. Their roots can get drier than those that can find water deeper in the soil. The alterning "dry hours and wet hours" accentuate the phenomenon.

Sulev likes this.
  21. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I have seen many people there photographing maples, but only when they are in autumn colors. I think they were little bit perplexed about if they should come and try to shoot the same tree or not.

Yes, a sort of boletus. You are very observant!

My biggest concern now is how to over winter these three seedlings. Should I plant these into the ground or move indoors if frosts are coming?

22. Acerholic

@Sulev good evening Sulev. We are all crazy together, 'strength in numbers' they say.
    I agree with Alain, they are doing well considering the Summer we have all just had. I am gradually moving everything out of pots and into the ground for the very reason Alain mentions. But to have mice attack your seedlings, that's adding insult to injury !!!
    Its wonderful that the Japanese garden near you was open and you were able to visit. So many over here you have to book slots to have a walk around.
    Really enjoyed what you sent, don't stay away too long from the forum Sulev.

Sulev likes this.
  23. Acerholic

@Sulev just saw your post drop in as was typing. Your Acer tegmentosum are very cold hardy trees, but IMO I would give them one more year of protection perhaps two. Not inside as you want a good solid dormancy, but a cold frame at the least if you have one. They are zone 5 trees, but Estonia might get down to a 4 so some protection in the first 2 to 3 years is necessary.
    Hope that's of help.

AlainK likes this.
  24. AlainK

@Sulev :

I have some A. tegmentosum, including this one sown in 2016, now in a black plastic pot, diameter 20 cm (09/16, 06/17, 08/20) :

acer-teg_160908a.jpg acer-teg_170625a.jpg acer-teg_200818a.jpg

The last picture was taken today. It's in the sun between 11:00 to 13:30 or something and the wall behind keeps a lot of heat during the day.

So you can see yours is not that bad... ^_^

Nik, Sulev and monicasanchez like this.
  25. AlainK

A few maples after the rain : I was about to water my trees when we had several showers of rain, starting at 17:00. Half an hour later, it was still 25°C, and it felt as if we were in a tropical greenhouse...

Hana Matoi, getting leggy, must repot it :
    acerp-hanamatoi_200818a.jpg

Jerre Schwartz with its new leaves :
    acerp-jerre-schwartz02_200818a.jpg

Sango Kaku :
    acerp_sangok02_200818a.jpg

O-sakazuki :
    acerp-o-sakazuki_200818a.jpg

Bi-hoo :
    acerp-bihoo_200818a.jpg acerp-bihoo_200818b.jpg

Acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum Dissectum'. Bottom branch and top :
    acerp_atro-dis02_200818a.jpg acerp_atro-dis02_200818b.jpg

Acer shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon', waiting for the Autumn, there was a nice contrast with the light through the red leaves of the Prunus :
    acershir-a.moon_200818a.jpg

Sulev, Nik, monicasanchez and 5 others like this.