Square purple stems, mint-looking leaves, tall flower spikes

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by wcutler, Aug 13, 2020.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Surely this is a Lamiaceae. The rugose leaves look like mint but had no smell. The flowers in spikes look a little like thyme, with a decorative persistent calyx. The stems and peduncle are purple. All parts are hairy in the photos, but that wasn't particularly noticeable when I was looking at them. These are almost completely finished blooming, with just a few flowers remaining at the tops of some inflorescences.

The closest I have finally found is Agastache rugosa. Am I close?
    Agastache-rugosa_SunsetBeach_Cutler_20200811_151413.jpg Agastache-rugosa_SunsetBeach_Cutler_20200811_151415.jpg Agastache-rugosa_SunsetBeach_Cutler_20200811_151440.jpg Agastache-rugosa_SunsetBeach_Cutler_20200811_151526.jpg Agastache-rugosa_SunsetBeach_Cutler_20200811_151603.jpg Agastache-rugosa_SunsetBeach_Cutler_20200811_151626.jpg Agastache-rugosa_SunsetBeach_Cutler_20200811_151643.jpg Agastache-rugosa_SunsetBeach_Cutler_20200811_151716.jpg Agastache-rugosa_SunsetBeach_Cutler_20200811_151856.jpg

2. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

Could an alternative be Teucrium hircanicum?

3. wcutler

Thanks, Arlette. I can't tell. All the photos I have found show leaves that are longer and more narrow than what I am seeing here, but it does look a lot like what was posted for ID at
    more UBC Botanical Garden questions.
    Common name for that is Iranian Germander. Why doesn't Wikipedia show Teucrium hircanicum?

4. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

Good morning @wcutler ! This fact about Wikipedia intrigues me a lot and I will try to explain this inconsistency. Furthermore, if you authorize me to use your photos, for this and for a further attempt to identify the plant I might be interested in a dedicated Italian Forum in which I participate.
    Let me know thanks!

5. wcutler

I am always happy to let anyone use my photos - they are all named and include my name. Thanks, Arlette.

6. wcutler

Arlette, I think you're right. Agastache photos do not look hairy like this, and the lower part of the flowers hangs straight down, whereas on this it seems to wrap around. I saw another group today, that I think is the same thing. It's as hairy anyway. My photos are not as good as the ones I first posted, but seeing what I have to look at on the internet, I don't have to feel that bad about them, although they're not quite good enough for me to be sure they match to the others.
    I did find a really good photo of Teucrium hircanicum though: Purple Wood Sage (Teucrium hircanicum).
    And here is one showing the calyces after the flowers have fallen. I assume that's what that is, though it's a pretty unusual shape for a calyx. Teucrium hircanicum.
    Teucrium-hircanicum_StanleyParkRoseGarden_Cutler_20200814_142533.jpg Teucrium-hircanicum_StanleyParkRoseGarden_Cutler_20200814_142606.jpg Teucrium-hircanicum_StanleyParkRoseGarden_Cutler_20200814_142710.jpg Teucrium-hircanicum_StanleyParkRoseGarden_Cutler_20200814_142739.jpg

7. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

@wcutler Good morning!
    Howver, I have already posted the question in the "Plants in the world" section and let's see if and when they answer me. With the occasion I finally learned to compress images (with the computer I am a bit a "shoe") because your beautiful photos were a bit heavy for the other Forum. On never stop learning! lol

8. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

9. wcutler

That's great, Arlette. Thank you!
    The page you linked to asked if I wanted to translate from the Russian.

10. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Spreads itself around on a Camano Island site where I planted it also.

11. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

@wcutler Yes, in fact, as a text there is nothing that could interest us, they have attached it because in a single page there are all the images necessary for the comparison to prove the identification.

12. wcutler

In the old posting of it at UBCBG (linked to in posting #3), Brent Hine mentioned that he was removing it from the Alpine Garden because it was becoming a nuisance weed.