Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

The sun is shining, so took this one through my Sangu Kaku a few minutes ago. Not too hot either. Sangu kaku 93 (1).JPG

2. Acerholic

As A @sun wanted a photo of a larger Atropurpureum, here is mine moments ago. Please excuse the neighbours fence!!

Attached Files:

3. sun

sun Active Member

4. Acerholic

@sun, good afternoon A. Thankyou. Full sun all day does this. No magic formula !!!

sun likes this.
  5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

No worries, no off-fence.

Beautiful tree.

Acerholic likes this.
  6. Acerholic

@AlainK, very good Alain. Lol.

7. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

The almost daily stiff ocean breeze makes for difficult PM shooting but does yield some interesting results as the occasional peace at maple level doesn't sync with the towering shade trees as they send down a constantly moving dappled light.
    Seiryu yesterday afternoon with same branch over a few minutes time.
    08.04.20 03.31 PM.jpg 08.04.20 03.14 PM.jpg 08.04.20 03.35 PM.jpg

Some other samara with the last deep within the tree in another green world.
    08.04.20 03.22 PM.jpg 08.04.20 03.15 PM1.jpg

8. Acerholic

@wind-borne, so very pretty G. You caught the light beautifully and the Samara in photos 4 and 5, Claude Monet would be proud to say he had painted them.
    Really enjoyed these G.

9. sun

sun Active Member

My Seiyru is all green yet, no hint of red at all.

I am very excited because my husband and I just decided to go to Holland next week with the kids and visit Dick van der Maats nursery before we head back. We are going with 2 cars, so there is one car empty for potentially bought trees.
    I just sent an email to the nursery to make sure they are open.

Esveld is very near as well. Do you think I should go there too or better concentrate on one nursery.

I tried to limit my list, but then @Acerholic gave me the tip to watch Charlies amazingmaples videos. Watching them was a big mistake as consequently my list got neverending and I blame @Acerholic for that!

Acerholic likes this.
  10. Acerholic

@sun, So sorry A !!! Regarding Esveld, if you are close after such a long trip it would not hurt to take a look. Both nurseries are highly regarded.

Great videos though, glad you are enjoying them , such a shame Charlie is no longer on the UBC forums, very much missed IMO.

Have a great trip A and let us know how it goes.

sun likes this.
  11. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic yes, Charlies maples are really amazing. I will keep you updated, but I will bother you with a lot of questions anyway concerning my list before I go:)

12. Acerholic

Good morning and so the heat starts, My Dissectum's are now struggling a bit, so thought I would take some photos in case they fry over the next few days.

Attached Files:

Nik, zfrittz, AlainK and 4 others like this.
  13. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

sorry I am being useless..when I looked at the text that sun referred to there were no discectums but variegated trees like Oridono Nishiki, Shiraz, beni Schichihenge

14. Acerholic

@sun, good morning A, referring to R @dicky5ash post I think you may have to take another look at what you want to know.

dicky5ash likes this.
  15. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Lovely pics as always. High temps predicted for tomorrow again so I’m going to move mine into the shade when I get home from work tonight. About an hour of back breaking work, but well worth the effort. Might get the kids to help lol

Acerholic likes this.
  16. Luke’s Maples

I love the Ko Yuki. I have never seen that one before. Lovely shape and colour.

17. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples, good morning Luke, it will be worth all the effort. So close to Autumn now, so don't want to lose the chance of the amazing colours you are going to have this year. Advantage of being in pots!! Looks like the last two weeks of August will be OK for weather in England.

18. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples, thanks Luke, it's also known as Little Snowflake. Only young here, so I'm watching how it goes.

19. Luke’s Maples

Fingers crossed for sure

20. Luke’s Maples

Which is your favourite out of the green and red dissectums you posted? Tough question, I know lol

21. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples, haven't posted all of mine today, but Dr Brown is probably my favourite with Red Dragon a very very close second out of this group. But tbh I love all the dissectum's and the way the climate is changing year after year, they are the ones that do the best in the heat, so my collection may change!!?
    I am going to post photos after the heatwave, as I've been asked by a few members to do so.

22. Luke’s Maples

I don’t have Dr Brown and in fact I have never seen it for sale. Junkers maybe? I must also get around to taking some pictures of mine. I have been so busy with worth this last month and haven’t really spent any time with them. How weird does that sound?! Lol

23. Acerholic

Dr Brown was from Lotta plants, unfortunately they no longer deal with Dick van der Maat. Haven't seen it in the UK for sale yet Luke.
    Thought you had been quiet on the forum, was thinking it was due to school hols and day trips with the little ones.
    Perhaps some photos after you move them all ??
    As I speak it's raining here again, how strange !!

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  24. Luke’s Maples

Well we did go to Batsford Arboretum last week. It was lovely. It was the first time we’ve been and although not as big as Westonbirt, it had some gorgeous trees. A couple of big, old Shishigashiras that I would love to go back and see in Autumn. Funnily enough I don’t recall seeing a Shishigashira at Westonbirt?

Acerholic likes this.
  25. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples, not been to Batsford Arboretum, am aware of the Falconry Centre close by, although I trained elsewhere.
    Any photos ?? Or is it an Autumn visit for these?