Virtual Garden Tour 2000-2021

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Margot, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@pmurphy, just ending the day here in England, what lovely photos to look at before retiring. Thankyou P

2. Nik

Nik Contributor

Betula alleghaniensis (golden birch, yellow birch) bark and exposed root (last photo). The silvery iridescence doesn’t really come through in the pictures. What I love about this tree the most is it’s clean yellow fall color. Always the same, never disappoints.

Attached Files:

Acerholic, pmurphy and Margot like this.
  3. Nik

Nik Contributor

It is the tree on the very far left as viewed from our dining room window overlooking the side yard.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

@Nik, good morning N, it looks almost metallic. Love the privacy you have from the mature trees.

5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

What amazing bark! That must be the tree aluminum foil comes from. ;-)

Nik, wcutler and Acerholic like this.
  6. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

Have you ever invited a visitor of your garden to lunch? Well, I had to do it because I realized that, unfortunately, this guest was missing a paw and it was from the evening before he was at home and I had the doubt that he might be hungry.
    So, after I read about his food tastes, I prepared its lunch. Before it was decided to eat, however, it's taken a long time because he was clearly fearful and meanwhile the grated potato had oxidized so it had to settle for the carrot

During the night he disappeared and I hope nothing happened to him
    But .... at least one greeting could do it !!!

Acerholic likes this.
  7. Acerholic

@Arlette, good evening Arlette, you can be safe in the knowledge, that if it was his last meal, then you provided it with kindness.

8. DavidB52

DavidB52 Active Member

Here are a few photos from my backyard.
    Coquitlam, B.C.
    Monday, 27 July 2020
    Clear sunny day, expected high of 32 degrees Celcius.

I've tried to make the backyard as bee-friendly as possible; in addition to the trees and vegetables, there are several Beebalm and Anise Hyssop plants. And Borage everywhere! (I have let it re-seed every year; it doesn't bother me and is easy to remove if desired. So it liberally grows throughout the back yard.)

I was hoping the tall Beebalm would attract more bees. Saw the rare Bumblebee check it out, but it seems to get more attention from Hummingbirds than bees.

There are also three varieties of Beebalm in another spot in the yard. Have seen them visited by a few Bumblebees but not Honeybees.

Bumblebees regularly visit several Anise Hyssop plants, but doesn't seem to be popular with the Honeybees.

However, the Honeybees do seem to love Borage. It grows in several thick patches around the yard, as well as plants spread throughout the yard onesies, twosies. There is a steady stream of traffic to and from the Borage. On a nice summer day, it sounds like half a hive is here (but I don't know of anybody keeping hives of Honeybees here in a city setting, so I don't know where they are coming from.)

Attached Files:

Nik, Margot, pmurphy and 1 other person like this.
  9. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

One more day of sunshine and more plants to enjoy...

Canna lily
    Pineapple lily
    Blue wheat - almost ripe
    Swamp lily
    Clematis
    Voodoo lily - hopefully in another year or so they will be large enough to flower
    Rose of Sharon
    Golden kiwi - got a bumper crop coming up this year and this gives you an idea as to how large they are now; harvest will be ready in late September/early October.
    Blue passion flower

Attached Files:

Nik, Acerholic and Margot like this.
  10. Acerholic

My Hosta Praying Hands is just starting to flower today. First time I've seen this one in flower and to share, so it's a real first for me also.

Attached Files:

Nik and pmurphy like this.
  11. Nik

Nik Contributor

This is the giant in our yard, Liriodendron tulipifera, tulip poplar. At its base it is about 1.2 m (4 ft) in diameter. It is probably around 100 ft tall. Lots of seedlings that I have to remove every year.
    The West coast has its redwood giants, for us in the East coast, the giant is the tulip poplar.

Attached Files:

Margot, pmurphy and Acerholic like this.
  12. Acerholic

@Nik good afternoon N, from my 12 inch little Hosta flower to your 100ft giant beauties 'What a forum'!!!

13. pmurphy

I took a wander while watering today...

1) Shredded umbrella plant is starting to flower
    2) Dipladenia planted and flowering in "The Garden"
    3) Crocosmia - this plant was given to me last year by a fellow member of a local exotic plant club and was only listed as "crocosmia" so I don't know the cultivar.
    4) Flowering maple - several weeks ago I was given an entire flat of cuttings, most of which I'm hoping to over winter and donate to local plant sales next spring (all going well)
    5) Cherokee Trail of Tears heritage beans - seeds were given to me by a woman of Cherokee descent who received them from her grandmother, who in turn had received them from her grandmother
    6) 'Lady in Red' fern - I had to go to Lowes yesterday and found they are starting to clear out their seasonal plants already; paid a whole $6 for this plant and $3 for a clematis (jackmanii superba)
    7) Last image you can see where 'Lady in Red' gets its name.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Nik and Margot like this.
  14. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Beautiful flowers and great photos @pmurphy!

15. Acerholic

@pmurphy, good morning P. Lovely colours to wake up to this morning. Particularly like the Abutilon, the variegation of the leaves is amazing.
    I do enjoy the time differences, there is never a moment on the forums that something new does not come in day or night.

16. pmurphy

A mixture of flowers and plants today...

Canna lily
    Gladiolus - wish I knew the variety (don't you hate it when you buy "mixed" bags)
    Himalayan honeysuckle
    Sacred lily - evergreen and loves dark places
    Winter green
    Trailing abutilon
    Leucothoe
    Ginkgo - will be all of 1 meter tall when mature, and only a third that size now
    Deer fern
    Crocosmia

Attached Files:

Nik, Acerholic and Margot like this.
  17. Acerholic

@pmurphy, wonderful plants P, I love Ginkos and that one is so cute!!!

18. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I just have no awareness of Leucothoe, nice to be reminded of it. I see there's a cute thread about Leucothoe davisiae from seven years ago. That does ring a bell, but the one you've posted, no. Maybe I'll start seeing it now.
    Ericaceae in Alpine garden

19. wcutler

I just can't believe the stuff I write. I figured out the ID of these little shrubs myself last year [Edited - not true - I just remembered that they had a tag!], but I did forget the name when I saw them again this year. There were eight or so of them along a path alternating with something else; now only one looks really good and another is still alive.
    Leucothoe axillaris 'Curly Red'® (I know that has to be wrong, but that's what I see written, and I don't know if it's a cultivar or trademark name). One site says Dog Hobble in the UK. These are last year's photos. Some of the plants had more red leaves than others.
    Leucothoe-axillarisCurlyRed_ComoxCardero_Cutler_20190828_145404.jpg Leucothoe-axillarisCurlyRed_ComoxCardero_Cutler_20190828_145529.jpg

It didn't really take me long to find some - I just wrote that today, and I found two or three - maybe I'll work it out as I write this. Three plants were all together on Lagoon Drive at the edge of Stanley Park. I think this one is Leucothoe fontanesiana, maybe the same 'Rainbow' or 'Girard's Rainbow' (it's from Girard's Nursery in Ohio) that pmurphy posted. I'm very taken with stem zigzags - the distichous leaf arrangement (in a flat plane) tends to produce them when the leaves are alternate.
    Leucothoe-fontanesianaRainbow_LagoonDr_Cutler_20200731_143814.jpg Leucothoe-fontanesianaRainbow_LagoonDr_Cutler_20200731_143853.jpg Leucothoe-fontanesianaRainbow_LagoonDr_Cutler_20200731_144215.jpg

Mixed in with this is what might be a species Leucothoe fontanesiana, green leaves with a more rugose surface. While I'm at it, I see a pronunciation:
    lu-KOTH-o-e fon-ta-ne-ze-A-na, and a common name: Fetter Bush.
    Leucothoe-fontanesiana_LagoonDr_Cutler_20200731_144229.jpg

Yes, I did work out the third Ericaceae in this group - Arbutus unedo.
    Arbutus-unedo_LagoonDr_Cutler_20200731_143742.jpg Arbutus-unedo_LagoonDr_Cutler_20200731_144000.jpg Arbutus-unedo_LagoonDr_Cutler_20200731_144041.jpg Arbutus-unedo_LagoonDr_Cutler_20200731_144047.jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Nik, Margot and pmurphy like this.
  20. Acerholic

So excited, my Lilium 'Santander' has just opened. The perfume from just one that we keep near our patio area is wonderful. Wish I could share that also.

Can't wait for all the others to open.

Attached Files:

Margot, pmurphy and Nik like this.
  21. Acerholic

I thought I would show this today, my Ilex aquifolium, English holly, showing that Autumn is on the way.

Attached Files:

Nik and pmurphy like this.
  22. Acerholic

My Lilies are opening more now, these are Lilium Luzia and Santander. The perfume is filling our garden at last.

Attached Files:

Nik likes this.
  23. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

According to the 2014 edition of The Hillier Manual of Trees & Shrubs (Royal Horticultural Society, London) 'Rainbow' appeared as a seedling at Hillier's Chandlers Ford nursery. With 'Girard's Rainbow' being either [a renaming of] the same variety or an independent introduction of the same type.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2020
  24. wcutler

You're saying it's not clear which?

25. pmurphy

After checking the gardens this morning I found a few more plants in flower, and I see there's still a handful of plants yet to flower in the coming days...

Ginger lily
    Pomegranate
    Cardinal flower
    Rose of Sharon

Attached Files:

Nik, Margot and Acerholic like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.