Acer palmatum 'Beni otake'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@LoverOfMaples, no not at this time D, it's still in my babies section atm. Protected for most of the day. I'm enjoying the green it is showing, so when it goes in the ground in the next 2 years, I will probably give it some protection from afternoon sun.
    At this time I'm very pleased with it's overall health and vigor, so fingers crossed it will do well.

2. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

@Acerholic it looks great. I might move mine out of full sun next year. I like the green.

3. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, it's trial and error all the time with these trees. Let's check in again on this one next year D.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  4. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

@Acerholic ,
    With part day sun mine holds purple/orange/red throughout summer.
    Yesterday
    07.07.20 09.58 AM.jpg 07.07.20 09.54 AM1.jpg

sun, LoverOfMaples and Acerholic like this.
  5. Acerholic

@wind-borne, Good afternoon G, Yours is so spooky looking, I love that shape. That must have taken years to get it to that?? Yes I will have to make a decision on more green or more red when it's planted out.
    The reds do need sun.
    Do put the second photo on the Cheering ourselves up with maples thread, everybody will love it.

6. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

July 2020
    The rich nuances of color lost in sunlight

07.18.20 07.27 AM.jpg

are expressive in bright shade

07.22.20 01.11 PM.jpg 07.22.20 01.07 PM.jpg

sun and Acerholic like this.
  7. Acerholic

@wind-borne, is that evening sun G? Nothing lost at all its gorgeous!!

8. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

sun shot ~7:20AM
    small amount of shade in summer midday but usually too windy to capture a picture, these ~1:30PM

9. Acerholic

@wind-borne, getting that light right is so important, you succeeded G.

10. Acerholic

I'm hoping my baby Beni Otaki turns out like G @wind-borne beauty.
    This is mine moments ago 1717hrs 23rd July 2020. Lots of green with just the vagest hints of reds. Next year !!!??

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

A lot of talk on the forum about this one atm, here are two photos of my Beni Otaki that is kept in the shade. Photos 30th July 2020. It will be moved in the Autumn.

Attached Files:

12. LoverOfMaples

My 'Beni Otake' today.

Attached Files:

sun and Acerholic like this.
  13. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, it really is a beauty D. When mine grows up I want it to be like yours!!!!!!!

14. LoverOfMaples

@sun, this is the 'Beni Otake' thread. @Acerholic can probably explain better than me how to navigate to the cultivar threads. There is great info in these threads as well. Some of the info is a little dated but still hold great info. But feel free to still ask questions.

sun likes this.
  15. LoverOfMaples

Thanks D. I love the shape mine have grown into. I hope yours follow along.

16. sun

sun Active Member

@LoverOfMaples ups, I was reading in so many threads today that I lost track where I wrote that...

17. Acerholic

This is the 10th August 2020 and still in the heatwave. This is my continuing diary of my maples throughout the Summer as requested.
    Tried to get as close as possible on my Beni Otaki, as it's looking so nice atm.

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  18. Acerholic

14th August 2020, rain at last here in England and Oh how my Maples needed it. Just over two weeks until Autumn starts here in the UK and the colours are rapidly changing.
    Trying to take as many photos as possible to keep up to date with the requests.
    My Beni Otaki is now standing out in my garden against the green Laurel leaves.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

August 15th 2020, the photo diary continues as promissed. Everything apart from just a few have held up very well. The heavy rain over the past couple of days has helped a lot. I think we will get a reasonable Autumn show this year fingers crossed.
    The deep reds are now glowing on my Beni Otaki. The crimson reds are not to far away.

Attached Files:

sun likes this.
  20. Acerholic

20th August 2020 and after days of rain after a heatwave, everything is picking up again. Severe storms coming tomorrow, so I hope I can batten down the hatches so to speak and protect my trees.
    I was asked, " does this one keep its red all Summer"? Well here it is with September only 11 days away.
    Sorry not the best of photos, but rushed out to take it to add just to show the colour.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

21st August 2020, two named Summer storms are going to hit later today with winds of 50 mph plus, so I thought it better to take photos early.
    All have picked up this last week due to cooler conditions and long awaited rain. The colours are changing !!!!
    As requested another close up of my Beni Otaki, with a different background this time. I still find this one difficult to photograph. But I got as close as I could. Hope it helps !!?

Attached Files:

22. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Still mostly red late August though sagging from the light rain

DSCN5484.jpg DSCN5481.jpg DSCN5524 (1).jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  23. Acerholic

@wind-borne, that has held it's colour so well G. Almost a Ruby red. It must get plenty of light !!?

24. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

@Acerholic D,
    this time of year not much sun at all, shaded most of day by pines and fir.
    Late spring and early summer has sun for most of day.

25. Acerholic

@wind-borne that's interesting . So many Otake green up when out of the sun. The strength of the sun in early Summer must have been enough to keep the leaves so red. 'You have a lovely Beni otake G'.