Help caring for Acer japonicum 'Aconitifolium'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Lisa Harry, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Hey @Luke’s Maples @Acerholic @emery here are some updates pics of my tree that is a concern. We have had 4-5 days of good weather (they now call it a heat wave, only in Vancouver when you have two months of rain does 5 days of sun in the summer equate to a heat wave- hilarious!). None the less we went from cool wet to sunny and 30 Celsius, no transition just a shock. The tree has new growth which has been happening for a while. It is properly watered I feel. I only water in the morning (4:30am) if I know it’s going to be a Hot day and if I stick my finger a few inches in the soil And it comes out Mostly clean, will I water. I will mist at night if it’s been hot but I want to wait to water in the morning. I noticed some slimy moss on one side Of the top of the soil so i removed it, strange thing is, that’s the same side that has the leaves with a heavy curling. The rest of the tree is off colour but no significant curling. Do you think there is a root issue or possibly wind burn To the leaves and No connection to the soil.

Attached Files:

2. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Here is a full picture of the tree today

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Lisa Harry, good morning Lisa, IMO this tree needs re potting, it has the look of being pot bound. I think that if you lifted it out. You would see a mass of roots and no soil / compost.
    You could slip pot it at this time of the year into a larger pot, or in the Autumn do a root prune and fresh potting medium. This will be a heavy job as the pot is a glazed, it may also only come out with breaking it unfortunately due to its shape. If you want to keep it in this pot and you get it out without damage , a root prune is the only way to add the medium and reinvigorate this maple for next season.

Any work done now and in the coming weeks is all for next Spring etc, you are not going to improve the aesthetics this year. It is getting a bit late for new growth.
    After repotting do give this tree as much protection from the sun as possible, especially in August and give it support. It is a top heavy tree that needs some help from strong winds.
    Hope this has pointed you in the right direction of what I think you should do Lisa.

AlainK likes this.
  4. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Thanks again @Acerholic you think it would be pot bound already? I slip potted this in may this year it was severely pot bound, but this New pot was 3 inches on all sides larger and deeper. maybe it was so pot bound it hasn’t stretched out in this new pot but just keeps twisting into itself? I have found a new place that I think it will much prefer I just have to move it there and convince someone to help me. I don’t want to keep it in this pot I want to put it into something that will make root pruning easier and have a wider base.

5. Acerholic

@Lisa Harry, good afternoon Lisa, then there is a good chance the roots have not taken into the new compost. As you say round and round, that can be a problem when slip potting. I do definatly think that this tree needs an Autumn root prune and re pot. Or it has been scorched by being in the direct sun after you repotted it in the Spring. It does look very sun exposed in that position. I always place mine in shelter especially after repotting.
    Either way, aesthetically I dont think you are going to get anything out of this tree this year now, I'm afraid.
    Time to plan for 2021 with this one. Definatly move it into more shade if that is possible Lisa. It really does not like it there. The delicate new roots will bake where it is.
    Sorry I don't have any quick fix ideas for you.

6. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

That might be the case. I also think repotting would do it good, either after leaf fall if your winters are not too harsh, or preferably in late winter/early spring when buds start to swell. When done in late February/early March (here), that's the best, and you can prune the roots rather drastically without much risk.

If your winters are very cold, an option would be to dig a hole in your garden, remove the tree from the pot without messing too much with the roots and putting the tree in that hole with a very sandy soil. then you can uproot it, prune the roots and put it in the right pot with the right mix.

This is what we call "mettre en jauge", that's for trees that must wait before being planted at the right time. If anyone knows how to translate it into English, I'd be grateful, the translations I found online were not really satisfactory... ;°)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    Acerholic likes this.
  7. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Ok thanks @Acerholic and @AlainK I can re plant this fall, I can probably relocate it before that. I believe @Luke’s Maples gave a suggestion for soil mix I’ll have to go look it up again. So wait until the leaves all fall off then Root prune and change pot, Id like one that’s better for regular root pruning. Should I add a transplant fertilizer when doing this? My winters are typically not too cold we get between 2-4 decent snow falls that are normally wet and heavy. Our cold is very damp. Not often below 10 degrees Celsius. I had plans on wrapping the pots during winter with a flexible foam insulation. Our winters are normally dark and wet between late October and May. Our snow is typically January/ February. I believe we are an 8b, I’d have to double check. Thanks for the help.

8. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

"mettre en jauge" is maybe the equivalent process of "heeling in?"

Georgia Strait and Lisa Harry like this.
  9. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Lisa Harry likes this.
  10. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Hi @Acerholic so I convinced my partner to move the “rescue tree” with me to a new hopefully more suitable locations. Here are some pictures of it’s new spot. Please excuse the poor condition of the back yard I do have some hard landscaping being done in the fall. My front yard was a major project and using the back as storage destroyed it. Plus I work 6 days a week on average so hard to make “beautiful” this season. Previously this tree had full sun from 6am to roughly 5/6pm accompanied by a respectable breeze. Now it has that morning sun 830am then A filtered sun/ shade around noon then more evening sun about 4:30/5pm for about 2 hours. Let me know your thoughts. The first picture is take at 08:30 the 2nd at 1pm and the last at 5pm. Thanks

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  11. Acerholic

@Lisa Harry, good morning Lisa. Your tree is going to be a lot happier in that location, especially seeing the large trees behind giving it some protection from the thing maples hate the most and that is direct sun and wind. I like the fact that even when the sun is at it's hottest around 5pm, it still has dappled light.
    Always remember that maples are an understory tree, if you keep that in mind for any planting, it is hard to go wrong.
    A good move Lisa, next season you will see such a difference.

12. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Thanks @Acerholic i really hope it does better. I’ll try to root prune it in fall when it’s leaves fall?

13. Acerholic

@Lisa Harry, excellent idea Lisa, do post photos of how you get on.

14. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Hey guys I’m back here are some fall pics of my “rescue tree” thanks again @Acerholic @emery @Luke’s Maples again for all your input. I still need to repot it but missed my opportunity this early spring. If the pictures show up incorrectly oriented sorry I’ll figure it out soon.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  15. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

@emery @Acerholic @Luke’s Maples here is the “rescue tree” earlier this spring. It seems to be doing really well. Excuse the yard it’s getting redone in fall this year.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  16. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

@Acerholic @emery @Luke’s Maples my red dragon is doing remarkably well this year very happy with it. The waterfall is struggling as it is seriously pot bound. I’m going to up pot it next weekend I have off hopefully. And I have a new addition to the family I just got literally an hour ago. It’s from the Jack Frost series so a hybrid (not sure if we are allowed those in this group) but I think it’s stunning it’s the Ice Dragon.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  17. Acerholic

Good morning Lisa, welcome back. You had some lovely Autumn colours and they will get better and better each year. Regarding missing the re pot, you could always slip pot it this year without affecting the roots, thereby giving it some good growing medium until you want to do a full repot. But that will mean going up into the next size pot.
    Anyway, it's just a thought.

D

18. Acerholic

Hey Lisa, can I ask if you could create a thread for your Ice Dragon here.
    Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)
    It would be great to have this one on the cultivar photos section of the maples forum, as it has not been done yet.

19. Acerholic

Spring greens of maples, you just can't beat it IMO. You have done really well with this tree Lisa. I bet it will become a firm favourite of yours, because it was a rescue.

20. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Thanks so much @Acerholic I’ll create a thread for the ice dragon but let me get a better picture of it, I literally just dropped it and sent that picture. I’m going to slip pot my waterfall JM and I will wait to repot the rescue tree. My friend is making me a wooden crate for it that’s wide and shallow that I think will make root pruning easier in the future. I’m glad you approve of what’s going on here. I hope you all have been doing well during this unique time in our world.

21. Acerholic

That's excellent Lisa, then it can be updated by you and others of course if they have one.
    Regarding approval. I don't think anyone seeing what you are doing could dissaprove. It's all looking great. That is very kind of your friend to make you a shallow planter. I look forward to seeing it. As in the Bonsai world, everything should go to enhance the beauty of the trees, so the wooden crate should look special. Especially near that amazing fencing you have.

22. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi @Lisa Harry , thanks for the update, and delighted to see it doing so well.

Your description in post #26 sounds rather like a liverwort. These are fascinating ancient plants, but you don't want them in your pots. They're an indication of the soil being too wet, and they can cause the soil to become oxygen-poor if they cover the entire pot surface. We get them frequently, but I try to get rid of them when I can. Good chunky mulch, as you seem to have, will discourage them, too,.

Cheers, -E

23. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Thanks Emery I’ll have to find post 26 but I believe I know what you speak of. I’m not sure that my rescue tree is in the perfect spot yet so it will need to remain in the pot. I also have a very large edible walnut tree that is either diseased or dying so I’ll have to see what happens. If I need to cut it down that’s all my shade. The city I live in protects trees even on private property so taking it down might be a huge challenge unless it’s completely dead right now it seems diseased I really hope it doesn’t affect my nearby maples.

24. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

"Slimy moss" was the expression :).

Sorry to hear about the Walnut. Aside from the nuts the shade is precious for sure. We lost a large Chestnut, I just got an sms from the guy who is coming to split it on Monday, I think it will make about 8 stere of firewood.

Look out for signs of honey fungus, Armillaria. Or it's mycelium filaments. That could definitely threaten your other trees. I suppose the only good point would be that if you could get a lab diagnosis, you'd have an easier time getting permission to take the tree out.

25. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Wow. Yah my walnut tree is quite large like 40’ easy but I have a small city lot. It really has no business there. I am going to have an arborist come and diagnose the tree. My city is so ignorant to trees on our property anything over 8” in diameter at 4’ in height I believe is “protected” and they barely care if it ruins your house or endangers your family. It’s gonna be a fight I hope it’s dying cause that’s easier, if it’s diseased they will make me get a health care plan