Acer palmatum 'Murasaki kiyohime'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Here is a friend's Acer palmatum 'Murasaki kiyohime'. A high graft I believe.

Attached Files:

2. MtnGato

MtnGato Active Member

A much shrubbier Murasaki kiyohime

Attached Files:

3. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

Two photos of our Murasaki kiyohime. The spring foliage is spectacular, tho this tree rarely has good fall color. We measured it this summer; it is now 11' wide....

Attached Files:

4. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Silver Creek,
    Great pictures, thank you very much. I have mine in a pot and it will be planted in the ground, your picture has been very helpful to me figuring out wherre to place it, how old is it? my guess would be 6-8 years.

Gomero

5. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

This Murasaki has spent 9-10 years in our garden, moving to its current spot about 6 years ago. It is a very low graft, and is still only about 4' tall. Here is another photo taken this April

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  6. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

I sure hope I have the right plant here. My Murasaki Kiyohime is quite reddish-brown at the margins, but it's in bright but filtered light.

Attached Files:

7. eq72521

eq72521 Active Member

Here is a pic of my Murasaki. It's leaves look a bit different than the rest to me.

Attached Files:

8. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

This has a nice yellow color to the leaves in spring which look good with the purple red margins. I like the tree in a small size, in the larger size it has issues with snow damage.

Attached Files:

GreenLarry likes this.
  9. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I had to add a photo from today 6th July 2020 of my Murasaki Kiyohime. It is shooting everywhere and is looking IMO so pretty. A strong grower so needs some room.

Attached Files:

GreenLarry likes this.
  10. Acerholic

My last photo of this cultivar was in full sun, today 19th July 2020 was taken immediately after rain, showing second flush of leaves.
    Whatever the weather this cultivar does not disappoint

Attached Files:

GreenLarry likes this.
  11. Acerholic

Now in full mid Summer sun, 22nd July 2020. I cannot see any problems with placement of this one. Another good one for the sunnier garden!!!

Attached Files:

GreenLarry likes this.
  12. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

Beautiful pictures. I could definitely get into maples!

Acerholic likes this.
  13. Acerholic

@GreenLarry, with your photography skills Larry, it would be an ideal combination !!!

GreenLarry likes this.
  14. GreenLarry

The problem is I only have a very small garden and its all in sun during summer. There is virtually no shade

15. Acerholic

@GreenLarry, totally understand Larry. But if you do think about getting one then 'Summer gold' takes full sun and has wonderful colours and would look great in a pot.
    Just a thought !!

16. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

I second that!

17. GreenLarry

I will see what Wilko has in stock in the way of trees once everything is back to normal...

18. Acerholic

30th July 2020 and my Murasaki Kiyohime is brightening my garden up every day. Do get this one if you have room, you will not regret it one bit.

Attached Files:

GreenLarry and sun like this.
  19. Acerholic

7th August 2020, rain through the night thankfully, as it's going to be the hottest day this year in the UK. I will post my maples during and after this heatwave.

Attached Files:

GreenLarry and sun like this.
  20. Acerholic

August 24th 2020 and I am keeping the photo diary going the best I can. So much rain and tomorrow 70mph winds forecast. Will the leaves be there for October!!!??
    The petioles were my main focus today, but those shades of red appearing at the edges of those unmistakable Murasaki Kiyohime lobes pop out at you.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

30th August 2020 and it is definitely getting colder. My maples are very happy now that the Summer heat has passed. They are all enjoying the early morning sun.
    What a change is now occurring on my Murasaki Kiyohime. Vivid reds now appearing.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

7th September 2020 and in Southern England it is getting warmer once again. So surprised to see my maples with such dry leaves this morning. But this year is so very different for so many reasons!!?
    Two photos from this morning, one in transition and the other with new growth. Strange!!? Yes it is!!!!

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

9th September 2020 and new growth springing up everywhere. It so warm and today at 0800hrs it was 18°C.
    As promised, the new leaves !!!

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

A lot of PM's last night asking about many of my cultivars, so here this morning, 11th September 2020 is my Murasaki Kiyohime. So late with new growth!!! Looks so fragile at this time of the year.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

20th September 2020 and new growth plus some strange colouring on my maples now. The photo speaks for itself . Autumn equinox only two days away !!!

Attached Files: