Acer palmatum 'Summer Gold'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Gomero, May 28, 2006.

1. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

My new Summer Gold from Lucile at Whitman Farms - so far, I love it! Matt, if you say it can handle nearly full sun in SC, that gives me a good indication on how it should fare here. :)

Attached Files:

2. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Here is our Summer gold with red seeds standing proud above the leaves like Acer shirasawanum (bark color and texture indicates shirasawanum too). Many passing by would confuse the seeds with berries and ask what is the tree with yellow leaves and red berries!

I recommend this tree for its beauty and hardiness against sun, heat, and extreme winter cold. A must own for a novice or collector.

Attached Files:

Mani likes this.
  3. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

I have to concur with JT - this tree is a must and a solid performer. In Kansas, we have blistering summer sun, and are often as hot as or hotter than Vegas, plus we have decent humidity and most days have some degree of wind. Mine is in full sun 6-8 hours a day - in a pot still, so this increases the stress the tree is under vs being in the ground - and I have no burnt leaves. The bright pink/red flowers in spring against the golden leaves only adds to the beauty.

I highly, highly recommend this cultivar.

4. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Yes,a well deserved recommendation Andrea.That nursery doesn't flood the market with new cultivars but when they release one,it's always a winner.
    I can't attest to the seeds but have noticed the dead looking 'shirasawanumesque' bark.
    Have to say after my 1st year with AS Jordan(also from that nursery),for me it is the most spectacular maple in spring(so glad I got it now)The large leaves were dazzling whereas Summer Gold takes time to turn gold for me.However I don't know how it handles more heat or if it's colour can be maintained all season.

5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

My Summer gold is having a lot of new growth on July 20th 2020. Very pleased with the colours.

Attached Files:

6. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

autumn colors !maybe hot conditions in your country and the nigth low temperature ? this is the result in my country :)

7. Acerholic

@alex66, I couldn't agree more with the difficulty you face in Rome Alex. 8b to 9b is quite a difference. There are others on the forum in possibly zone 10 and I just don't know how they keep their trees alive. One active member had 40°C the other day, I think that's the limit for Japanese maples IMO.

8. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

Very nice, bright foliage

9. Acerholic

@GreenLarry, thanks Larry glad you liked it. If you ever considered a Japanese maple for your garden, then this one does well in full sun.

LoverOfMaples and GreenLarry like this.
  10. GreenLarry

Ah there is no room in my garden for trees and shrubs. I should be able to grow it in a tub though

11. Acerholic

GreenLarry likes this.
  12. GreenLarry

Fully frost hardy? We have some wicked sharp winter winds here in the north east of England

13. Acerholic

@GreenLarry, as they are deciduous and go to sleep for the Winter, the only thing to perhaps consider is a little protection around the pot. I use bubble wrap, just to take the edge off the harshest weather in January and February, but I am a soft Southerner and probably don't really understand what you go through in the North East.
    We have a member @ROEBUK who grows stunning maples in pots in West Yorkshire, he shows how it can be done up north.
    Definatly worth the try though Larry.

14. GreenLarry

Well I've seen red japanese maples in spring with new leaves burned by the cold winds

15. Acerholic

@GreenLarry, yes I have to agree with you Larry, it is not easy, but if you do have one sheltered spot for a maple in a pot, then do think about giving it a go.

GreenLarry likes this.
  16. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

"Larry glad you liked it. If you ever considered a Japanese maple for your garden, then this one does well in full sun."
    this cultivar is one italian selection -open sun is the rigth exxpo ;)
    select by Giordano Gilardelli nursery (now closed for ever)

17. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

I couldn't agree more D!

18. Acerholic

I have recommended this cultivar several times on the maples forum, so I thought it important to update how it is coping in full sun in my garden. Now if you see in my photos the reason why I say it goes well near Atropurpureum. It picks out the reds perfectly IMO.
    Hope A @sun can see my reasoning.
    Photos this morning 1st August 2020.

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  19. sun

sun Active Member

@Acerholic , thank you D, Summergold already has a confirmed spot in my future garden, probably right next to an Atropurpureum. My list is taking shape now. Even if I was quiet for the last few days I was right with you as I am reading through the "Cheering ourseves up with maples" thread. I have covered the pages 45 to 130 yet...​

20. Acerholic

@sun, so glad you are considering it A. I will keep the thread here updated so that you can monitor how it progresses.

sun likes this.
  21. sun

sun Active Member

22. Acerholic

7th August 2020, rain through the night thankfully, as it's going to be the hottest day this year in the UK. I will post my maples during and after this heatwave.
    This one is pretty in the rain and the sun.

Attached Files:

sun likes this.
  23. Acerholic

17th August 2020, now three days of heavy rain and my trees are picking up at last.
    Struggled a little as can be seen, but for a tree in 36° C full sun I think its done very well.
    Enjoying the wet stuff now though.

Attached Files:

sun likes this.
  24. Acerholic

22nd August 2020, now the new growth starts to appear. And more to come it seems.
    Lots of interest in this cultivar so I will update again soon.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

25th August 2020, the calm before storm Francis arrives. Tried to get as close as possible on my Summer gold to show the yellows and orange.
    Not my best photo, but it shows what I am trying to show today.

Attached Files: