Bloodgood or not

Discussion in 'Maples' started by patdero1, May 8, 2016.

1. Mani

Mani Active Member

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

See my preceding post - until somebody can demonstrate that a clone being referred to today as a true 'Bloodgood' is the original material first put on the market whenever whomever did so strictly speaking there is no way to be sure if a given plant is completely correct or not. Instead it should be stated that a kind being used as a basis for comparison appears to be the same as the 'Bloodgood' of a particular published source such as Vertrees or Van Gelderen. With again it always being kept in mind that even such depictions may not be of the real thing dating back (in North American commerce) to at least the 1930s (and perhaps originating with Bloodgood nursery of Long Island).

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    Mani likes this.
  3. Mani

Mani Active Member

Yes, I did come across that post when I was trying to research into it.........thanks for reaffirming!

4. Mani

Mani Active Member

@Acerholic Do you happen to have a close up of your Red Flash's leaves, please?

5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Mani, taken seconds ago lol. First photo leaf gets a lot of sun.
    Photo 2 is deep down in practically full shade.

Attached Files:

6. Mani

Mani Active Member

Thank you!! Too kind!!

Are the undersides green?

7. Mani

Mani Active Member

@Acerholic Or what differentiates a Bloodgood from a Red Flash?

Btw another stunning specimen from you!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  8. Acerholic

@Mani, OK the first two photos are of my Red Flash and second two are of Bloodgood, not brilliant with the tape measure sorry, but as you can see Bloodgood is a lot smaller leaf by over 3 inches. Holding leaves and tape measure and taking photos, not so easy, lol.
    What is the measurement of your Bloodgood leaves ?

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  9. Mani

Mani Active Member

:D Great work!

It looks like you are measuring the furthest distance apart which would be the second set of prongs from the bottom for me - max I could find was 4 inches. If it's the first set of prongs from the bottom then it's 2.5 inches. Hope you understand that! Thoughts?

10. Acerholic

@Mani, yes understood, btw they are called lobes not prongs. If yours are 2. 5 inches above the basal lobes then that is what I measured, that's the same as my Bloodgood. Hey we are getting somewhere !!!
    So now it's time to place your BLOODGOOD in more sun and let's see how it turns out. As I said earlier, it may take until next year to get proper results.

Hope that has helped you in your pursuit of the correct Bloodgood.

Always here to help if I can Mani.

Mani likes this.
  11. Mani

Mani Active Member

Thanks for your patience!

I think my basal lobes (assuming they are the very bottom lobes) are 2.5inches and the ones above that are 4inches - please see pics!

That's on the biggest leaves I could find.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

@Mani, they are the same as my Bloodgood, my measurement was a bit iffy tbh. Yes the basal lobes are the two smallest the bottom nearest to the petiole. I think you have what you wanted. Got there in the end Mani.

Mani likes this.
  13. Mani

Mani Active Member

Thanks for your massive help with this, D!!

Acerholic likes this.
  14. Mani

Mani Active Member

So, the nursery came back to me and the supplier is suggesting that it is an Acer Palmatum Atropurpureum. Having read the following thread it appears these do turn from purple to green/yellow to red, or at least Dan's in the thread does:

Difference between Acer Palmatum 'Bloodgood' and 'Atropurpureum' Japanese Maple?.

However, I know that ours are very different in colour @Acerholic but I did think the shape of the leaves was most similar to your Autropurpureum.

What would you ask the supplier if you could?

15. Acerholic

@Mani, good evening Mani, well at least you received an answer, a lot don't.
    Regarding what to ask, I would now be asking 'why I was supplied an Atropurpureum and not the Bloodgood.
    The only problem is that it had two labels.
    It might be time to accept that you have Atropurpureum and next season look out for a Bloodgood.
    Regarding the link, it depends on placement and environmental conditions. I have seen many Atropurpureum's and they differ all the time.
    The photos of mine are a guide, but not 100% as it is so difficult to tell tbh. Ron was quite right in his posting.
    Hope you can relax a little now over this, I know it can be so frustrating.

16. Mani

Mani Active Member

@Acerholic Can't say i'm not disappointed but at the same time interested in the colour changes which may occur.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  17. Acerholic

@Mani and nor you should be Mani, that is a lovely tree you have there.
    I have just takena photo of my Atropurpureum in last couple of minutes. Mine stays like this all Summer, no changes in colour.
    It's in full sun all day long. Hence it keeps it's reds.

Do a comparison, but remember location and placement.

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.
  18. Mani

Mani Active Member

Very nice tree! Yours is so bright!! Does it get even brighter in autumn? Is it grafted? Looking at Hippopottering they advise that their Autropurpureums are all seedlings....

19. Acerholic

@Mani, thanks Mani, yes it is a seedling as all Atropurpureum's are. It does glow in the Autumn. Yours will also.

20. Mani

Mani Active Member

I'll look forward to that!

Out of interest why are they all seedlings rather than grafts?

21. Acerholic

@Mani, basically because it runs true and strong.

22. Mani

Mani Active Member

Thank you D!

Are there many other acers which don't need grafting?

23. Acerholic

@Mani, good morning Mani, Acer palmatum green and red that are grown from seed and used as rootstock run true.

Mani likes this.