Appreciation: Out and About

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by wcutler, May 24, 2020.

1. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I'd expect that in Vancouver the Clematis is likely to be C. vitalba.

pmurphy likes this.
  2. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

Also here is Clematis vitalba, in the nearby land there is a hedge.
    Clematis Vitalba M (2).jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  3. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

I don't believe they've been kept from the park it's just hard to find volunteers right now, and as the park is 38 hectare if you don't stay on top of the ivy/morning glory/stinging nettle/hops/blackberries etc. it gets out of control really fast.

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@pmurphy, totally understand P. My wife and I do this together only atm. A lot of catching up this Autumn for everyone.

5. Acerholic

@Arlette, lovely Old mans beard. Although native here in the UK it has to be managed well as it is very invasive. It can cover a boundary fence very quickly and crowed out other plants.
    But the flowers are so pretty it is hard to say no to having it around.

6. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

@Acerholic As I have already written, I have a whole hedge in the nearby ground and it borders on a little even on the border with me. Every year we cut it a little and so it stays in its corner, When it's all in bloom it's a show. I like a lot. Although different, I also love clematis grown and I have several. He has not yet thought of inserting the photos. Sooner or later I will!
    Ciao, ciao and goodnight!

7. Acerholic

The Cedrus libani 'Lebanese cedar' is a favourite of mine and my photos show how they are used to frame a beautiful house. Alas two came down, but a new one on the right is starting to take shape. Sadly I will not be around to see it as wonderful as those on the left of my photo.
    This is Kingston Lacy in Dorest England.
    But as can be seen in my last two photos, even in death, the roots of amazing trees can still be a joy to gaze upon and be of use.

Attached Files:

Arlette and pmurphy like this.
  8. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

We call them Cedar of Lebanon, which I think sounds appropriately grand.
    Our Parks Board did a similar thing with an Incense Cedar (Calocedrus decurrens) that was overwhelmed by a group of ornamental cherries. I posted a photo two years ago at Kitsilano.

9. Acerholic

Further on the Cedar of Lebanon or Lebanese cedar, here this tree is not used to frame but to draw your eyes up. It was placed behind this temple at Stow in England. I photographed it from the other side of the lake so that the rest of the wonderful vista could be appreciated as well.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

And one more tree from me today a 350 year old Platanus x acerifolia 'London plane'. This tree is at Mottisfont Abbey in England. I was fortunate to do a lot of work there in my career, so enjoyed seeing this tree regularly. It is now protected by fencing .
    As a lot of people on the forum may never see it, I thought I would share my photo.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2020
    Arlette likes this.
  11. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

No great artist in any field will ever reach the levels of perfection and charm of Nature, he will be able to imitate but not fully render.

12. Acerholic

@Arlette, I do agree, but there is one landscape designer 'Lancelot Capability Brown' IMO came very very close. We love to wander around places that he laid out more than 270 years ago. Chatsworth is our favourite, although it is very hard to choose. My posting from Stow was designed by him.

13. Acerholic

@Arlette, got me thinking about natural occurrences in nature and for places that give the appearance of such. Or some looking as if birds have dropped seed in the wall crevices, even though they were placed by human hands.
    This photo I took at Ightham Mote, a 14th century moated manor house in England of Centranthus ruber 'Spur valerian', gives that appearance IMO.

Attached Files:

wcutler likes this.
  14. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

See @Acerholic surely I should have developed my previous surgery better even if I don't know if I will be able to explain myself well anyway.
    For me there are masterpieces of Nature whose view is going to pluck strings of amazement. emotion, mystery, presence and timid participation in a superior project that touch the soul deeply, make you feel an inseparable part of Nature. The sound of the song of a nightingale, a 360 ° sky of iinfnite brushstrokes of color like the one I saw the other night over my head and of which I inserted the images, observe an old olive tree that spends more time and the more it dies slowly inside, yet the more majestic and beautiful it appears, I believe they arouse sensations that start from the soul.
    Observing a painting, the work of an inspired landscaper, listening to the splendid musca ....... can arouse deep emotions involving heart and mind but not the soul.
    But this does not detract from musicians, landscape painters ........... creators of the "beautiful" but not "creators of" it. All their works are born from suggestions and inspirations received from Nature.
    The photo you have inserted refers to a beautiful and suggestive image (like the one seen with the Cedar of Lebanon) but it is a beautiful and inspired "assembly" of elements of Nature.
    I hope I have not bored you indeed, given the time, I have reconciled your sleep so .... good night!

15. Acerholic

@Arlette, good morning Arlette, you have explained it perfectly.
    My point on Lancelot Capability Brown, was that he came as close to copying nature in a gardening point of view than anybody IMO.
    His landscapes give the impression they were put there by nature and not designed. Do look him up online.

Have a lovely day.

16. wcutler

I think this is Hypericum frondosum, which I have never seen or heard of before, but there it was in front of an apartment building on Beach Avenue, my walking route to the little passenger ferry to the public market on Granville Island.
    Hypericum-frondosum_1169BeachAve_Cutler_20200714_143456.jpg Hypericum-frondosum_1169BeachAve_Cutler_20200714_143506.jpg Hypericum-frondosum_1169BeachAve_Cutler_20200714_143518.jpg Hypericum-frondosum_1169BeachAve_Cutler_20200714_143626.jpg

I was very surprised that I had no luck coming up with a name for this Oxalis planted instead of grass on the boulevard in front of a condo building (I looked at the 200 photos on the Pacific Bulb Society | Oxalis page, as well as a lot of browser searches). It looks most like O. oregana, but on that the white markings are along the leaflet midrib, while here they go the other way, forming a little white triangle or circle. Miscellaneous other things are planted here and there.
    OxalisVerge_1208Bidwell_Cutler_20200714_164348.jpg OxalisVerge_1208Bidwell_Cutler_20200714_164401.jpg

17. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

That's because it's a Trifolium.

18. wcutler

Thank you, so Trifolium repens.
    I know the rule - if nothing fits, that isn't it. I just forget.

19. Arlette

Arlette Active Member

@Acerholic
    I agree with you and I remain with myself because on closer inspection our ideas are less distant than they may seem.
    The works of Lancelot Brown, which unfortunately I did not know so far, are of an amazing beauty that wraps and engages in pictures I can only think about how it's live.
    One has the impression of a great sweetness and fluidity of the whole as if the places were "satisfied" with being as they are. I don't know how to explain the feeling that they have not been affected by heavy transformations but helped to give their best with an indisputable artistic vein, a great sense of perspective and an intuition of "beauty" in all its facets.
    Not by chance, however, I previously used the terms "inspired landscapers". Observing his creations, my idea is that Lancelot Brown felt emotion, mystery, presence and timid participation in a superior project that touched his soul and had in addition, a basic distinctive element, the great sensitivity and ability to concretize that project by positioning the elements following an ideal "design" born from his soul rather than from his mind. And this is what makes him rise to such levels as to be an unforgotten and unforgettable dispenser of emotions. Every element, whether natural or architectural, seems desired and suggested by Mother Nature.
    An example of a close "symbiotic" relationship with Nature that is not for everyone.

My idea in wanting to participate in this Forum was to broaden my knowledge to realities, ways of thinking, artistic expressions and traditions different from my experience. These first threads are proving me right.

However, I had promised previously, knowing that I was rather verbose in the subjects that I am passionate about, to restrain myself because I tend to forget that I write in a language that is not mine and I could create problems of understanding in the reader. On this occasion I have been a repeat offender and I apologize !!!!!

Acerholic likes this.
  20. Acerholic

@Arlette, good morning Arlette, you have absolutely nothing to apologise for. Your postings are an absolute delight in every sense. We are very close in our thinking and not distant at all.
    My wife and I love to read your poetic and enthusiastic posts, as I am sure everybody who reads them does also.
    I am so glad I pointed you in the direction of reading about and seeing the works of Lancelot Capability Brown. If he were alive today he would have loved what you said about his vision and passion. The latter is very evident in you.
    To create something as he did that you will never see yourself, is in my mind so wonderfully selfless. There is more to be learned around the world by his attitude and not just in gardening I think!!

Have a great day and keep the posts and threads coming.

21. Acerholic

Further to my posts on man made scenes to resemble a natural looking environment, here is my photo of paddocks at Hinton Ampnor Hampshire, where in 1644 a major battle took place in Cheriton Walk between the Cavaliers and Roundheads in the English civil war, '20,000' died.
    How peaceful and serene it looks now !!!

Attached Files:

Margot, wcutler and Arlette like this.
  22. Acerholic

I think these two should go here rather than take a walk on the wild side, as they have obviously come from seeds from peoples gardens.
    They were along a footpath near the River Itchen that my wife and I walk daily. They are Oenothera biennis ' Large flower evening primrose ' and Nigella damascena ' Wild fennel '. Certaily brightened up our walk.

Attached Files:

Arlette likes this.
  23. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

What a beautiful scene! Are the trees mostly the same . . . what species are they, do you know?

24. Acerholic

@Margot good evening Margot, all native of course, mainly Oak, Ash, Beech. It is a walk my wife and I do every two weeks.
    So glad you liked it.

25. wcutler

I was going to post this rose with single red flowers climbing up a Quercus robur along Ceperley Meadow in Stanley Park and ask if the wiggley flowers were its actual nature or if it was diseased. But I see some photos of Rosa 'Dortmund' that look just like this, and from the Stanley Park Rose Garden, so it's even possible that this is the ID. This cultivar, however, is supposed to top out at three metres, and this is maybe twice that high. Maybe it's just very happy?
    RosaDortmund_CeperleyMeadow_Cutler_20200716_154808.jpg RosaDortmund_CeperleyMeadow_Cutler_20200716_154817.jpg RosaDortmund_CeperleyMeadow_Cutler_20200716_155158.jpg RosaDortmund_CeperleyMeadow_Cutler_20200716_154826.jpg
    RosaDortmund_CeperleyMeadow_Cutler_20200716_154946.jpg RosaDortmund_CeperleyMeadow_Cutler_20200716_154959.jpg

At the corner of the same path and the Magnolia path is a Staphylea pinnata that I try to capture in focus every few years. I did a posting in August 2018 comparing the inside of the pods of this species and Koelreuteria paniculata at UBCBG:
    August 2018 in the garden
    Staphylea-pinnata_CeperleyMeadow_Cutler_20200716_160139.jpg Staphylea-pinnata_CeperleyMeadow_Cutler_20200716_160200.jpg Staphylea-pinnata_CeperleyMeadow_Cutler_20200716_160228.jpg

Margot and Acerholic like this.