Viable Acer griseum (Paperbark Maple) seeds?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Maiden, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

2022 sounds good to me.

@Maiden, forgot to add 'all the very best for your move'.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2020
    Maiden likes this.
  2. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Hi @Maiden. What are you using for growing medium?

3. Maiden

Maiden Member

LOL Thanks!

Mostly potting mix with a bit of compost mixed in. Any suggestions for when I plant?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2020
  4. LoverOfMaples

Yes. Something that's well draining that doesn't hold a lot of moisture. Maples hate wet feet (roots).

I like pine bark chips with composted and pelite. If thats not accessible you could use cactus mix with compost.

Maiden likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Just been reading your post D @LoverOfMaples, this question arises so often on this forum. I like your mix it is so similar to mine. I mix John innes no 2 or 3 depending on the age of my tree, horticultural bark and grit, plus perlite. The added dusting of Michroriasil to help roots establish and I have a very free draining mix. Mine is so loose it could pass for Alpine mix I've been told.

6. LoverOfMaples

I can tell they love it from your pics. What else can we do, besides give them what they need most. "Sweet fertile, well draining growing medium!"

7. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, thanks D very kind, if we can pass on to all new visitors to the maples forum the knowledge we have gained over the years, then we would have done OK. Simplifying the process is also important to not put people off IMO.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  8. Maiden

Maiden Member

Got it, thanks 'guys' I'll do my best when I get there.

9. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

I don't mean to be a downer, but those are growing too fast IMO to be griseum. Do you have Acer negundo (Box elder) near by? Those look like negundo seedlings to me unfortunately

Maiden and AlainK like this.
  10. Acerholic

@kbguess, good afternoon K, good spot. But in my heart I'm hoping it is Griseum !!!!! Still very young, so time will tell.

Maiden likes this.
  11. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I had the same feeling looking at your last photo. Plus, on griseum, the edges of ech leaflet are more rounded, not so acutely serrated. And since negundo (or "boxelder") is much more common in europe, and germinates very well, it might be a chance seedling from a nearby tree. Very often, variegated negundo such as Flamingo' are planted here as street trees, and the seeds I've gathered germinated well but they always gave green ones.

I hope I'm wrong...

Acer griseum :
    acer-gris01_200608b.jpg

Maiden likes this.
  12. Maiden

Maiden Member

Well one thing's for sure, its difficult to tell. I can't find a box elder on my street but that doesn't mean they didn't 'fly' here. Studying their leaves online, it appears like the 3 leaves in their cluster are further apart than they are on my seedlings but they're pretty young so who knows?
    If anything, I think the other 8 trees are something else but I'm still have hope for the 2 trifoliates.
    Posting a pic of mama leaf and the 2 babies.
    Mama tree certainly isn't growing 'slow'. Here's a pic 6 years ago and one I took just now, she's a beaut!

Attached Files:

Acerholic and kbguess like this.
  13. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

I am rooting for griseum also. Would be great to have that many. My friend's griseum had seedlings but they only grew a couple inches the first year or two.

Negundo pops up everywhere in my area of Iowa

14. AlainK

Mama looks good.

;°)

If she's the only "trifoliate" Acer in the vicinity, well, the chances that your seedlings are griseum are enhanced.

LoverOfMaples and Maiden like this.
  15. AlainK

Yeah, they're so fertile that it's almost becoming an invading species here.

16. Maiden

Maiden Member

Update. I'm becoming convinced that kbguess was correct in those seedlings being box elder. A new set of 2 leaves grew a bit further down the stem. Sorry I can't find a pic. They are in NS now. I believe some were Norway too and still haven't figured out what the broad leaf ones are but not griseum.

Having said that, I did find one baby seedling among the bushes before I went east and looking at her now I think this one is the bonanza baby. If her new leaves begin to split we may have a winner so I'm excited all over again.
    I only have one and she looks different than the other 3 varieties of seedlings we've been looking at. The pics make her look big but she's less than 4" tall.
    Have a look-see.

Attached Files:

17. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Ack. @Maiden sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if I am seeing correctly this isn't a maple at all. Maple leaves are always opposite, these appear to be alternate.

Sorry about the other ones, it's always very difficult to ID young maple seedlings.

AlainK likes this.
  18. Maiden

Maiden Member

DAMN!! lol
    Well, I took all the seeds I had that I got right off the tree, which were LOTS, and put them in the ground in Nova Scotia to let them stratify on their own. Lets see if any of those come up eventually. :(

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  19. Acerholic

@Maiden, sorry here also, would have been wonderful to have babies from your old tree. Seedlings are so difficult to identify as Emery has said.

Hope everything is going well at the new farm. That is exciting though!!! Perhaps a purchase of a large Griseum !!???

20. Maiden

Maiden Member

Loving the farm thank you. Had to come back to Ontario, see if I could get back to work for a few months so the NS place is sitting there waiting for my return. Yes I may have to purchase a couple paperbarks next Spring, lots of places to put 'em! 84 acres, I think I can find a spot.

Acerholic likes this.
  21. Acerholic

@Maiden, great to hear, look forward to you posting some photos of your trees on the forum next Spring.
    Umm 84 acres, now that sounds like a place for a lot of maples !!!!
    Enjoy every acre and good luck.

22. Maiden

Maiden Member

Ok boys and girls the seeds are ready. My house is sold and I'm about to move out so perfect timing to grab these babies and take them all with me! I got as many as I could reach without hurting mama Paperbark. If 10% grow I'll be very happy.
    Can we go over my best options for propagating. I know cold stratification but freezer or fridge? They'll be going into the ground in NS next Spring. Best to start in pots or ground? Any advice appreciated.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

@Maiden good evening, so glad to hear your move is going ahead well.
    Re your seeds, that is a lot, but remember a great deal will not be viable. I would start by splitting them open to see if there are any embryos inside and then prepare only these for stratification in the 'fridge' and not freezer. Place the seeds in a moist but not wet medium in a sealed bag in the fridge for around 3 to 4 months, after which I warm them in the sun (some heat them in warm water) and then sow them in a 'pot' of a very loose medium, vermiculite mixed with a gritty compost is what I use. Then its a matter of protecting from Squirrels and vermin etc, possibly for around 18 to 24 months (for Griseum), before you see any shoots. Even after this time the success rate might still be rather small.
    Others might carry this process out differently, but this is what I do.
    Hope its of help.

Maiden likes this.
  24. Maiden

Maiden Member

Acerholic likes this.
  25. Acerholic

@Maiden good luck and I'm sure everyone will be hoping you have success. Look forward to reading all about your new Acer griseum's in the near future.

Maiden likes this.