Viable Acer griseum (Paperbark Maple) seeds?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Maiden, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good evening D, I do hope so, they are so rare. I've just lost my 5 year old this year and it was doing fine. Alain was saying a few weeks back that he bought two but lost one. So I'm pleased that @Maiden has two.
    It's going to take some years to see though, as they are very slow growers.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  2. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Good evening D. Much luck to @Maiden. I hope you and Alain next griseum be a success. I planted a very large amount of griseum and japonicum seeds a few weeks ago. I noticed the other day the chipmunks found them and had a feast. I didn't have this problem before my cat pasted in Jan. Hopefully they didn't get them all. I will keep trying my luck and get another cat one day.

3. Maiden

Maiden Member

The leaves on my seedling didn't show 'trifoliate' until the 4th set of true leaves, and the hairy stem helped. I took a picture of them with my phone and blew them up, voila. Good luck.

4. Acerholic

Good morning D, so sorry to hear about your cat, as you say no problems with chipmunks when you had it. Perhaps a new kitten is on the cards this year!!
    I will look forward to your updates with your seeds as I am with @Maiden. The more Griseum trees grown the better IMO.

5. Acerholic

Good morning @Maiden, it's going to be a long process, but well worth the effort, going to watch this thread with interest at yours and D @LoverOfMaples over the coming months and years.
    It is so exciting watching seedlings grow. New life and all that!!

6. LoverOfMaples

Beautiful

Attached Files:

opusoculi, AlainK, emery and 2 others like this.
  7. Acerholic

Good evening D, Agreed ' beautiful' and what a root flare.

8. LoverOfMaples

These is one huge one at the Aronld. If I'm not mistaken it's the first specimen planted in the US.

9. Acerholic

As they take so long to grow, these are the places for us to see them. But IMO thats OK. It is good that there are some that are trying their best to get seeds of this wonderful tree established. So well done you D and @Maiden.

10. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

The biggest one I've seen was at Kew Gardens, and it was far from being as big as the ones LOM posted. I saw a grove of rather sicly ones in la Rochelle, but I haven't spotted any in my surroundings so far.

Time to go and explore parks again, this time with charged batteries in my camera ^^

11. Acerholic

Good evening Alain, they are so rare, happy hunting !!!

12. Maiden

Maiden Member

Morning friends, I'm trying not to get too excited, please tell me this isn't a weed. LOL I was picking cigarette package wrapping from my front garden and found this guy hiding right at the base of a Weigela shrub. If you know what a Weigela is, you'll know how tightly grown their base is. No way to get him out with dirt so he came out clean and bare. I soaked the potting dirt with water first, sluthered him in rooting compound and stuck him in.
    He's not drooping today so that's a good sign....he's a paperbark isn't he!?

Attached Files:

Acerholic, LoverOfMaples and emery like this.
  13. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I think so! :)

Maiden likes this.
  14. LoverOfMaples

Gm @Maiden. I'm not 100% sure what it is but if there wasn't any feeder roots you might want to cut it back or remove some of the leaves. This will help the plant from transpiring more than it need to.

Acerholic, Maiden and emery like this.
  15. Acerholic

Looks very promising indeed @Maiden. Congrats you have another.

Maiden likes this.
  16. Maiden

Maiden Member

Thank you! Promising I'll take! Thanks 'Lover' I will take a few off, no it was a pretty straight bare tap root!

17. LoverOfMaples

Hey no problem.

18. Maiden

Maiden Member

I hope I'm not boring anyone with my excitement but I seriously think I have a bonanza here. This little tree I also found beneath my weigela 2 days ago...I went back in for a closer look.
    I circled the leaf as it appears as though they are just beginning to split into a trifoliate formation yes?! This would make 3 paperbarks if it weren't for the fact that since finding #1 at the beginning of this thread, I have 7 other babies that have the same rounded shaped leaves as Mr. 'Circled' seedling does on the bottom.
    So if he too is in fact a paperbark, then it is most likely all the other ones that still have rounded, tiny leaves just haven't split yet and I have 10!!!

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  19. Acerholic

@Maiden good afternoon, if that's boring then carry on a lot more, I for one am really enjoying your updates. Do keep them coming. 10 Wow!!!

Now where are they all going to be planted???????

20. Maiden

Maiden Member

So there's the secret, they are all going to Nova Scotia. I bought a 'farm' there and take possession next Tuesday. :D I'm going to leave them there with a cage for deer as I have to come back to work which brings me to my next question.
    I'm going to have to transplant the tiny ones into the ground but was thinking the 2 biggest ones, which are in big pots, stick those pots into the ground and let them be until next Spring, and hope they live to then. THEN put them in the ground? What do you think?

21. Acerholic

@Maiden, first of all fantastic, a farm WOW. You must be so excited, the trees you will be able to plant !!!!
    Next to the pots, IMO do not plant them in the ground in the pots as this can cause them to become waterlogged. They would be better off placing them out of reach of any animals that may be in the vicinity and give water when you can. But as you are leaving them through the Winter they actually require very little watering as they are dormant ie asleep. Not sure about planting in the ground in 2021 either, I would rather leave them until 2022 to plant out. This will ensure a stronger root growth and give them every chance of survival.
    If the Winter in Nova Skotia is particularly harsh I would also cover the pots for some protection as they are very young.
    Hope that's of a little help.
    From an envious Englishman, lol

22. Maiden

Maiden Member

:) You see I'm worried about a second transplant so soon. The first guy was potted what, 2 months ago? He may be ok and the other little ones won't be too bad either since all of them have grown new leaves since then but the big beauty I just found really went through a shock yesterday. He's looking better today but if I transplant him again in 2 weeks, it could kill him easily.
    Maybe I'll dig a hole and break the pot at the bottom, try to keep the dirt tight around him. Man, I dunno.

23. Acerholic

@Maiden, is it imperative to transplant to other pots when you move in two weeks. Can you not leave them in the pots they are in now?
    Too many moves will sadly cause their demise.
    Breaking the bottom of the pot will allow for good drainage if it is removed like cutting the top off a boild egg, but upside down of course.... so if you don't mind losing a pot, then this is your best bet.

Maiden likes this.
  24. Maiden

Maiden Member

Sorry that sounds like a contradiction, its imperative to transplant to other pots but can't I leave them in there? I am travelling them all in the pots they are in right now. Have to decide what to do when I get there.
    The little ones are in very small pots, they can't stay in when I get there. One has already outgrown his but he'll be ok until I get to the farm. The 2 biggest seedlings I'm more worried about, especially Mr. Newbie. Yes I think trying to break off the bottom of the pot is the best bet....I don't care about a $10 pot if I can save my tree! :)

BTW, yes I can leave them until 2022. Next year all I will do is break apart the rest of the big pots trying not to disturb the tree.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2020
    Acerholic likes this.
  25. Acerholic

@Maiden, sounds like a good plan. Please do update the thread when you can on how your Griseums are doing.

Maiden likes this.