2019 seedlings

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jun 3, 2020.

1. kgeezy20

kgeezy20 Active Member Maple Society

Most of my Acer seedlings are now in 36 count rootmaker flats. How long can they stay in that size?

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Wow Kyle, very exciting that you got some diabolicum to germinate!! Good chance those stay true to type.

I also have a boatload of A. sikkimense this year, but mine are from Iturruran seed in Spain. (Well, Basque Country). I had very little luck with the MS seed, which I didn't stratify, counting on the cold which never came. I did however germinate a pot full of seed from the MS labeled "pentaphyllum", but it seems to be maybe some sort of pectinatum. Fansipanense? Don't know, could be ssp forrestii, or ssp pectinatum.

I think the seedlings can stay in the small flats until the fall, if you want, or get pricked out earlier. A lot of pros transplant them in the fall.

-E

kgeezy20 likes this.
  3. kgeezy20

That’s so awesome to hear. I was already dreading moving the little buggers again in a month or so. What size should I go to next? Typically I would go to 1 gal or maybe a trade gallon, I believe those are slightly different? I can easily get them for free around here. I notice many of you use what I believe is referred to as “rose pots” over here. A bit smaller than the gallons but seem to do very well.

I believe my pentaphyllum are truly that. They didn’t really look like it till their second set of true leaves tho. I’m very excited about the diabolicum and also two schneiderianum.

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I always move to a 9cm pot from a tray, I'm very wary about increasing pot size too quickly as they do better in a snug fit IMO. I like to see roots coming from the bottom before potting on also.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  5. emery

Yeah the pentaphyllums look good for sure. Schneiderianum too, you hit the jackpot! Are those from my tree? Can't remember if I sent schneid in last year, but mine do normally come true.

I agree with D., it would be risky to move them directly to 1 gallon. When they're small they're very sensitive to wet soil. I like round pots although they're harder to deal with space-wise; I move to a 0.25 l pot, then 1 l, then 3. A gallon is nearly 4 liters. My way is a PITA though.

6. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Japonicum seedling that I'm impressed with. Wasn't expecting it to put on so much growth. I'm pleased! One is growing very slow.

Attached Files:

AlainK, Nik and kgeezy20 like this.
  7. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, quick question D, are all your seedlings in the greenhouse?

8. LoverOfMaples

I don't D. Just ones that I feel need extra care and controlled environment.

9. Acerholic

Ahh Ok understood D.

10. LoverOfMaples

Acer pseudosieboldianum seedlings trying to get on their way.

Attached Files:

AlainK, emery, Nik and 2 others like this.
  11. Acerholic

Is that an experiment, some with vermiculite and some not D? Sorry just curious. Always looking for the best growing medium for Acer seeds. Lol

12. LoverOfMaples

Hey D, I don't mind the questions. Yes I'm experimenting a little. I'm using my bonsai soil.
    It's Akadema, lava rock, and perlite. Then I put a few in all Akadema just see what type of root growth I get.

13. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, thanks for your patience D. Please post which combination works best. I'm certain a lot will want to hear the results. 'I will'.
    A tray full of Siebold's maples, that will be an explosion of tri coloured leaves in the Autumn. Now where are you going to plant them !!!? Lol

14. LoverOfMaples

A semi shadey understore spot in the back corner of the yard. Around these little ones, we'll not so little now. I'll have to update this pic.

Attached Files:

AlainK, kgeezy20, emery and 2 others like this.
  15. Acerholic

That's an amazing amount of seedlings D and so many doing well.

16. LoverOfMaples

Thanks D. There is more, lol. I've been slowly repotting and getting them ready for fall. I have lots of pubinerves, rough barks, coreanums, dissectums, and atropurpureums that need to be separated then individually potted.

17. Acerholic

More wow!! It is so addictive planting seeds, we have done the same over the years, but there comes a time when there is just no more room. Lol

AlainK and LoverOfMaples like this.
  18. LoverOfMaples

Seed growing next year definitely will be seem. It's a lot of work.

emery likes this.
  19. kgeezy20

Love the looks of all those seedlings! I have one pseudosieboldianum that germinated. Yes, room is quickly becoming an issue for me too. I don’t even want to think about when everything is in 3l or gallons.

20. Acerholic

@kgeezy20 , good afternoon Kyle, 'ROOM' it seems to be a problem everywhere lol.

21. LoverOfMaples

Lol, I can imagine what it would look like if I kept this many and all in 3 gallon pots! I can wait to see how your seedlings turn out. I start a lot of mine early under grow lights. I love the colors it gives them.

22. emery

Seed growing really is a lot of work, with all the repotting. Its somehow worth it for the "finds" though, and the Korean Maples do make really pretty trees. I give away a huge amount of maples and other plants just to clear the decks, to anyone who will take them. People think I'm nuts. ;)

23. LoverOfMaples

1st pic of seedling from Acer platanoides 'Dissectum'
    I think some will turn out nice.

Attached Files:

AlainK, Acerholic and emery like this.
  24. emery

For sure a couple of good ones there! Are these seeds from the Arnold?

I tried growing some from my 'Donig Special' (which is exactly the same...) a few years ago, but I think the tree is too young.

25. Acerholic