Fertilising JM

Discussion in 'Maples' started by dicky5ash, Jul 7, 2020.

1. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

I just started fertilising my trees tonight with this stuff. I have mixed the slow release pellets with 1 ltr of sharp sand/grit and dosed the mix into 4 or 5 vertical holes around the tree about 8” deep into the soil and 8” away from the trunk using a spatular that is concave so it makes a nice hole..
    The pack says dose at 50-100grams per dug hole The pots dosed so far range from 30ltr to 100ltr..so the smaller pots will have got 20g and the larger 30g.

Is this reasonable, comments welcome.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi R, I've never fed my Maples after June 1st as I don't want too much soft new growth in later Summer and early Autumn. Is it because you have a lot in pots that you are fertilizing now? Very interested to hear your thoughts.

3. dicky5ash

I don’t always fertilise each year..I held off during May due to frosts, and I had a real late one in Northampton late in may, but I was lucky,minimal damage. I just didn’t get around to it in June..I think growth will have hardened off by the time we get frosts..

4. dicky5ash

All of mine are in pots

5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good point Rich, yes it was a strange Spring that's thrown everything out of kilter this year. How will we look back on 2020, 'in the maple world' that is. Re your earlier question your proportions seems perfect.

dicky5ash likes this.
  6. dicky5ash

Thanks D, I didn’t want to over do it, I could have upped it a bit I think but best err on the side of caution with these things..I’m not confident with fertilising, not done it much in 20 years but I do repot every 2 years or so

Acerholic likes this.