Appreciation: Some beautiful mushrooms

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Nik, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Nik

Nik Contributor

No idea what they are, but they were all growing on the trunk of a single large fallen tree.

Attached Files:

allelopath and Acerholic like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good afternoon Nik, wonderful photos again, I hope the tree and fungai are going to be left in place? Is it in your garden or close by in woodland?

3. Nik

Nik Contributor

Thanks, D! Yes, they will stay where they are, on the border of our yard and a large nature preserve area.

4. Acerholic

So good to hear Nik. All too often these things are cleared to make things 'Tidy '. Nature is not tidy for a good reason.

5. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Lovely finds, and very cool that they were all growing on the same tree!

Making some assumptions about the undersides of these fruiting bodies, and assuming hardwood, you likely have Stereum (perhaps S. ostrea), Trametes (Likely T. versicolor), and Trichaptum (possibly T. biforme).
    ... Or, making different assumptions about underside and/or substrate, possibly all three are Stereum or in that family.

:-)

Nik likes this.
  6. Nik

Nik Contributor

Hi (@Frog ),
    Thank you for all the help in identifying these! I completely agree with your comment in my other post, this tree trunk looks like an out of water coral reef. I am fascinated by it.. it is in my nature, by training I am a biochemist, and since childhood I always had an affinity to anything Nature related. The stranger and weirder the better.
    Forgot to mention that the tree is beech, so yes, hardwood.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Frog likes this.
  7. Acerholic

Good morning @Nik I just read your last posting to Frog @Frog, seems you are both very scientifically minded. Two of my eldest children are science graduates and were always questioning everything as children.
    My eldest daughter has an MSC in the three sciences and has been teaching this for the past 15 years.
    I think it is something in a persons makeup that draws you to anything in the natural world. I have always been fascinated by it from a child to and adult and although not a science graduate, spent most of my adult life employed trying to protect it.
    These forums have a way of bringing like minded people together from all over the world. The UBC botanical garden is a wonderful resource, that I hope keeps going for decades to come.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Frog and Nik like this.