Take a walk on the wild side.....

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by pmurphy, May 29, 2020.

1. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

The Lythrum is called Purple Loosestrife here and is considered a rather nasty invasive in wetlands.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning vitog, yes it has that name here also. There are a few names given to it. Some that cannot be repeated due to it's invasiveness, lol

3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I would like to read more about genetic variations of Douglas Fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii). I notice so many differences in those I see in this area, especially in the way the branches are held on the trunk . . . I'm sure growing conditions play a part in how the trees develop but it would be really interesting to learn more about the genetic influences.

4. Margot

It wasn't so long ago that Purple Loosestrife was commonly sold in local garden centres. Most are now aware of the problems it, and other popular plants have become . . . off the top of my head - goutweed, ivy, houttuynia, periwinkle, butterfly bush. Now, responsible nurseries refuse to sell plants that are known to be invasive in their particular areas.

https://bcinvasives.ca/news-events/...plants are sold,to become a PlantWise partner.

5. Acerholic

Totally agree Margot, the trouble is so much is now very established and I don't think they will be eradicated only managed now.
    Most nurseries are responsible, but now we have eBay !!!!! And that's another story.

6. Nik

Nik Contributor

Hi @Margot ,
    The Monotropa uniflora in our yard is just beginning to pop out of the ground. I will try to take some pictures also when they fully open. Unfortunately I do not see pink ones this year yet.
    It was one of the plants that puzzled me when we first moved into the house, but I managed to quickly identify it. It is simply unique.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

Nothing more than 'amazing' Nik. Can't wait to see them fully emerge.

8. Acerholic

Forgot to say Nik, we first saw the Ghost plants at the Eden Project in Devon England. We were fascinated then.

Nik likes this.
  9. Margot

Like the parasitic Hemitomes congestum mentioned by SSivertz in Plants: Identification yesterday, Ghost plants and other non-chlorophyll-containing plants (Heteromycotrophs?) like fungi and some orchids are amongst the most beautiful and exciting to be found in our gardens - and never sold in garden centres.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    Nik likes this.
  10. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

The rain has stopped long enough for my mother to take some more photos...

4126 - I believe is an invasive hawkweed
    4133 - Mallow
    4137 - Tiger lily (apparently this plant is over 5ft tall)

Image 4128 is a columbine she bought from a garden center. This plant then crossed with the native red columbine and the last image (4130) is the result. I've told her to mark the plant and gather the seeds.

Attached Files:

Nik likes this.
  11. Acerholic

Looks like you are going to have a gift of some wonderful seeds from your mum soon. That's a lovely red.

12. Nik

Nik Contributor

Hi @pmurphy ,
    Lovely pictures! Are you sure 4133 is Mallow, it looks more like a Geranium to me.
    I have been trying to germinate Geranium macrorrhizum seeds without success for two years now. I guess I need to purchase a plant eventually. It has something to do with my childhood, just like food, other smells and senses really can bring you back to a very young age...

13. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

It could be a geranium, my mother provided the name but she wasn't sure.

14. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Definitely a Geranium

15. Nik

Nik Contributor

I do not know what this small plant is. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

Looks like a Pyrola, not sure what variety. I will keep looking Nik.

17. Acerholic

Possibly the Picta.

18. Nik

Nik Contributor

Thank you, D! The genus is definitely correct, I am not sure about picta.
    Here are some I believe are from the same genus but different species. They have not opened yet.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

Chimaphila macula. Ericaceae family again.

20. Nik

Nik Contributor

Yes, I think you are correct, Chimaphila maculata seems right for this one! Thanks!

21. Acerholic

Glad I was of help Nik. My old RHS plant encyclopedia is getting a lot of use. Lovely plants you are seeing and adding for us all to enjoy. Thankyou.

22. Nik

Nik Contributor

Some more Monotropa uniflora from our yard. This year, for the very first time, I see some that are with purple nuances in their flowers (the last 3 photos). Previously I have seen pinkish, but never purple.. I guess that depends on the species of fungi.

Attached Files:

Margot, pmurphy and Acerholic like this.
  23. Acerholic

Good afternoon Nik, photos 8 and 9 are so beautiful. Although they all are. Do hope you can keep these protected from future sunlight to preserve them in your garden. They must be a big talking point with your friends when they visit !!?

24. Nik

Nik Contributor

Hi D, only occasionally when they show up in the middle of the backyard. And that area is full sun most of the day, so they don’t necessarily have to be in deep shade.
    Here is Chimaphila maculata opening, thanks again for the ID.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Daniel Mosquin and Acerholic like this.
  25. Acerholic

Good morning Nik, how do to take such wonderful close ups !!? thought I managed a fairly good one on the virtual garden tour thread this morning of my Mouse Ears Hosta 'then I saw your close up'. Oh well more practice !!