In The Garden: Hosta with bleach-splatter pattern

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by SSivertz, Jun 30, 2020.

1. SSivertz

SSivertz Member

Hey folks. Is this hosta infected with HVX or is this a cultivar?

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi, we have been growing Hostas for over 40 years and have not seen one sold like that. IMO it does have HVX.

3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

If this is HVX (Hosta Virus X), it is important to remove the plant as soon as possible because the virus spreads quickly to other plants.

On the website below, I read that "early on, some plants with the disease were propagated and grown for their 'interesting' foliage."

Hosta Virus X

4. Acerholic

Hi Margot, Just read it, how irresponsible people are just to make money.

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I know nothing about this, but it seems clear why you ask - this looks very different from "mottling"; the leaves do not have any diseased look to them. Is there a way to have the plant tested for the virus?

6. Margot

I guess it's possible that growers who first saw the strange markings on hosta leaves didn't realize they were propagating diseased plants. I have heard that there are some plants sold these days whose interesting markings are the result of stable viruses. The history of tulips is fascinating in that regard - apparently the 'tulipomania' that overtook the Netherlands in the 17th century was, in part, the result of amazing variations in tulips affected by viruses.

Tulip viruses

7. Margot

It's true the leaves do not have a diseased look to them insofar as they are well formed but, to me, the erratic dark and light markings on leaves that would normally be a more solid green, is a tell-tale sign of disease.

8. Acerholic

I've just been through every Hosta photo of the British Hosta Society and not one has the markings on @SSivertz photo.
    This link shows the british collection. Hosta Gallery
    Now this may be a sport, but I feel it is HVX. If it is then Margot's advice is correct, it must be destroyed and not put in compost bins etc.

9. SSivertz

SSivertz Member

Thanks everyone, I'll notify our Integrated Pest Management department and get those hostas removed.