Which coral bark would you choose?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Luke’s Maples, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Hi all and good evening.

I keep coming across a couple of trees that I don’t have and just wondered whether it was worth owning them. I already have Sango kaku, and love it. The autumn colours last year were truly stunning and the leaves stayed on the tree much longer than anything else. I also have Bihoo and Shidiva gold. Is it worth having any of the others? The ones that seem readily available are Beni kawa, Eddisbury, Japanese sunrise and Winter flame.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks.

luke.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I have Japanese Sunrise Luke, but the others 'No'. Early Spring, Summer and Autumn photos attached. Very young tree purchase in 2019, but doing very well for me.

Attached Files:

sun, AlainK and Luke’s Maples like this.
  3. Luke’s Maples

Thanks D. What a lovely yellow autumn colour. My Sango was more orange than that. I have so many trees that turn red in autumn that I like to have bright yellows for contrast. I love your Japanese sunrise, thank you.

4. Acerholic

Agree totally, I'm all for yellows and golds and oranges for Autumn now. The Japanese are more into their green maples and you can see why when you look at their choices come to life in November.

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

'Eddisbury' is a somewhat hardier tree than the others. It leafs out darker. It retains some red in the twigs during the summer, but less in the main trunk. It is sensitive to pseudomonas, but not like Bi hoo for example. It has larger leaves and is faster growing than 'Japanese Sunrise', and to my thinking better bark. Our Japanese Sunrise has yellow autumn color, whereas Eddisbury has reddish-orange. Personally I don't consider the FC on our JS outstanding, but that probably has a lot to do with the siting which is a bit difficult.

In the very cold winter of 08/09 a large Eddisbury was lost because the understock froze and died; the main tree was absolutely fine with -20C though.

I have heard that 'Beni kawa' is a tough one for bark problems, but have no personal experience growing it. It's an attractive tree though. I've never seen 'Winter Flame' in person.

cheers, -E

6. Luke’s Maples

Thanks emery for the informative reply, I appreciate it. I think I may just stick with SK.

7. Acerholic

Good morning Luke, I think that is a very good decision. You already have some beautiful trees and some more on the way. Perhaps the next decision is on planning your wonderful display. Are you going down the route of Charlie (Amazing maples) in his second garden, ie walkways ??

Keep cool Luke ( that has a nice sound to it) Lol

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  8. Acerholic

As this thread had Coral bark in the title and Luke @Luke’s Maples mentioned his Sangu Kaku this morning. I thought I would add mine in this mornings now 31°C heat. I am so pleased with the colour of leaves and bark this year.

Attached Files:

Luke’s Maples and AlainK like this.