Osakazuki, Summer Gold & Bloodgood

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Mani, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Mani

Mani Active Member

Looking for your experiences of keeping any of the above 3.......

Thank you!!

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Mani, Osakasuki and Bloodgood two of the old favourites that are strong and reliable in my garden with absolutely wonderful Autumn colours. I've had both for 30 years and still doing well apart from a neighbours tree crashing on top of them last year. Bloodgood should be sourced from a reputable grower as a lot are not Bloodgood and turn rather green in the Summer.
    Summer gold is new for me this year, but too date it is a strong tree that handles full sun very well. Mine has turned green faster than others on this forum, but it is a young tree. If you check the Cheering Ourselves Up With Maples thread, there were some stunning photos of Summer gold just a few days ago.

If you want a fiery scarlet red in the Autumn, then Osakasuki is the one to go for IMO and one that all maple grower and enthusiasts should have in their collections.
    Hope that's of a little help to you.

Mani likes this.
  3. Mani

Mani Active Member

Thanks - very helpful as always!

I checked out the pics of Summer gold - it's interesting how colouration can differ so much!

When looking at a new purchase should I be worried that much by a few frazzled leaves and a little die back? Or what should I look for? And what questions should I ask? The tree is about 160cm so not a baby.

What happens to Bloodgood in autumn? Does it turn redder or remains pretty much the same?

4. Acerholic

Hi Mani, it does depend where you got it from tbh. If it has stood at a garden centre for some time then it has more than likely not been looked after well, but with care at home next Spring will see it flourish.
    Questions at a garden centre IMO do not often get the correct answers.
    Check to see how much die back there is and where it is placed at the garden centre. Often they place them where they think it will get the most attention from customers and end up being in full sun.
    As for Bloodgood, it goes a crimson red in the Autumn much like Osakasuki, but not as brilliant IMO.
    So don't be put off by a little frazzled leaves or a little dieback, but if excessive I would avoid.
    Hope that's of help Mani.

5. Mani

Mani Active Member

Thanks - yes, that's helpful D!

Yes, the Bloodgood was in full sunshine right where customers could see it so I moved it to a shadier spot :D It's certainly not excessive dieback or frazzling! I guess I was just making sure as it will be an expensive purchase!

The Osakasuki I saw was a deep green colour - you'd just never suspect that out of all 3 that that one would be the one to shine in autumn!

6. Acerholic

The greens often are the brightest colours in the Autumn, but people tend to buy in Spring and go straight for the reds.
    Osakasuki will not dissapoint !!!!!!!!
    How was the compost in the pot at the garden centre btw, was it moist or dry? Sometimes they do not get the proper attention they need.
    Correct care over the next year, will see a totally different tree next year.

7. Mani

Mani Active Member

They all were in good condition apart from the die back and a few frazzled bits here and there. The soil looked very dry as it was like coconut husk on top so I was surprised how they could look in such good condition. However, I dipped my finger beneath the top layer of coconut husk and the soil was moist so that's why they looked well!

8. Acerholic

That's good and the slightly frazzled leaves and a little die back is not a worry then, as they just placed it in the 'buyers look at me position'. Good care will result in a nice tree next year.

9. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

My Osakazuki at the top of the garden in the shade , seems to like it up there out of the way , would love to give this more shade if possible so the greens last longer.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  10. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Very nice try M. My Osakazuki turned bright orange last Autumn, quite early on too. It only gets an hour of late afternoon sun so maybe that has something to do with it. I find it’s a constant battle (in a positive way) trying to get the right balance when it comes to light conditions. Too much and they fry, and too little results in less colour. It’s an interesting journey though and I’m learning more and more about maples everyday. This forum is such an incredible place to share knowledge. It’s great being in the garden enjoying our trees but I find it just as fun talking on here with likeminded people.

Acerholic likes this.
  11. Luke’s Maples

That was supposed to say “very nice tree M“

12. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Realised that Luke :) yes i have found this cultivar needs as much shade a possible to hold the green on the leaf longer before the reds start to come through, nothing worse than having one half green and the other red.

13. Mani

Mani Active Member

Interesting, on the Osakazuki, i'd have thought you'd have wanted the colour change sooner so that you could admire the autumn colour for longer?

So, in terms of light:

Osakazuki - more light less green.
    Summer Gold - more light more green.
    Bloodgood - more light deeper red?

14. Acerholic

Lol, these auto spell checks can turn a compliment into a criticism so darned easily.

Mani likes this.
  15. Mani

Mani Active Member

Beautiful healthy trees there! Very similar in colour to the ones I was interested in today!

16. Luke’s Maples

Yes that pretty much covers it I think lol.

I have a Bloodgood in full sun and although it can show small signs of burning by late summer it never shows even a hint of green. It stay a very deep red and in the Autumn the red turns much lighter.

17. Acerholic

Agree with Luke, but I think Summer gold = more light more yellow. I'm in the early days with it so could be wrong.

18. Luke’s Maples

Mani, to show you how much difference the sun can make, have a look at a couple of pics I took today of my Moonrise. The upper leaves that get the sun have turned a really rich pinky orange colour whereas the lower leaves that sit underneath them are a bright yellow green. It’s the brightest tree in my garden at the minute and it’s making me want to get another, bigger one. Which of course is ridiculous... isn’t it?

Attached Files:

sun, zfrittz, AlainK and 1 other person like this.
  19. Acerholic

Yes Luke it will grow!!!!!! Size isn't everything or so I've heard. Lol

20. Mani

Mani Active Member

I guess acers can tan too!! :D

I understand! Although there is more satisfaction in seeing your "baby" grow up big, right? And yours is looking great!

21. Acerholic

Good morning Mani, I am in total agreement with your comments about watching your baby grow. I for one enjoy bringing on seedlings and young grafts, surely that is the pleasure we all get from this wonderful hobby that is Acer. And these days with gardens getting smaller and smaller, if indeed one can even have a garden and not just a small veranda, so it is important to keep people involved who only have a few square feet of garden area.
    I'm all for encouraging young people to get involved with maples, whether Bonsai or just having ONE in a small deeper pot on their apartment balcony. Young people today find it very hard to get on the housing ladder and often have little or no outside room. So if they are made aware that they can still grow a maple, then all the better for the future of this wonderful hobby we all enjoy so very very much.
    I do hope the Maple Society looks at this in future publications. (An 'excellent' world wide society btw).
    Sorry for sounding off, but I feel quite strongly about this.

22. Mani

Mani Active Member

Should Bloodgood have any green in it whatsoever?

I'm not sure how many youngsters would be interested especially when there is the growing world of houseplants........but I take your point and no harm in trying!

23. Acerholic

Thanks Mani, it's always worth the try. I have been in contact with a very prominent MS committee member about this so hopefully things might happen.

24. Acerholic

25. Acerholic

Attached Files:

zfrittz likes this.