'Extravaganzza'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jun 1, 2020.

1. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Photos on the internet look the same as the ones on the website maybe that’s why it’s called Mystic haha sure it will come good in time

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Lol !!!! You're probably right.

3. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Yes. I’m not disappointed.

4. Acerholic

Me neither Luke , btw I've just ordered Beni Tsukasa from Hippopotering.
    Didn't mean too, but I asked them to notify me when it was next in stock, which they did so I ordered it. I'll announce it tomorrow when the family come to see me. Safety in numbers, LOL.

5. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Lol. Nice work, and solid logic.

6. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

A rather mediocre photo of the Acer negundo 'Flamingo' from the street. I didn't prune it this year so it's nearly 3 metres high (10 feet, minus a couple of toes). Like every year, a few branches are reverting to green, you can see one in the middle of the bottom line. The pink variegation disappears when summer comes, but it makes a nice contrast with the Prunus pissardii behind :

acer-neg-flam_200620a.jpg

Some of those in almost full shade all day :
    Acer p. 'O sakazuki' (the leaves on this side getting the late afternoon sun) :

acerp-o-sakazuki_200620a.jpg

Acer p. 'Beni Hagoromo', not so "beni" these days, but very strong and healthy :

acerp-benihag01_200618a.jpg

Acer p. 'Bihoo', light green and yellow branches :

acerp-bihoo_200620a.jpg

Acer palmatum from a batch of "misc. A. p." from the UBC seed exchange (2016 ?). Nothing spectacular, deeply devided lobes, slightly weeping : must be from a dissectum of some sort :

acerp-div_200620a.jpg

This one is not a palmatum (obviously) :

acer-div_200620a.jpg

A Rhodohypoxis 'Lily Jean'. I got it from a late bonsai friend from the Netherlands, we would exchange seedlings and other plants. So it has a very emotional meaning to me on top of its beauty. I gave some to my sister, she planted them in her garden and they spread each year. Where I live, you have to keep them indoors like dahlias (next to it a cutting from a Crassula ovata 'Hobbit' :

rhodohypoxis_200620a.jpg

The kind of plant I sent him back, Mentha corsica. When the winter is mild, they spread everywhere, I have some in many pots, like this one, a small A. palmatum seedling :

mentha-corsica_200620a.jpg

On top of that, they don't have deep roots, so it's OK for a surface planting contrary to many other plants , and slugs and snails dont like it.

dicky5ash and Acerholic like this.
  7. Acerholic

What a lovely set of photos Alain, so much variety. A bit of history to a plant also makes them a bit special. Your friend will be remembered whenever you look at 'Lily Jean'. That is special IMO.

AlainK likes this.