Too wet?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kgeezy20, Jun 16, 2020.

1. kgeezy20

kgeezy20 Active Member Maple Society

We have had a very, very wet spring here in East Tennessee, and several of my maples which were repotted into, what I thought, was better draining media in late winter have browning of the leaf tips as if they’ve been too dry, but I know that isn’t the case. I believe damage from too wet of roots can look similar to damage from being too dry. Does this appear to be the issue?

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi @kgeezy20
    As you have put them in good well draining compost, the leaves may well 'not' now be able to draw enough moisture. Hence the browning at the tips. It is a fine balance in giving the correct amount of water. You may well be a bit nervous of over watering after they were over wet before.
    If possible put them in a very shady position out of full sun as this will cause more stress. Water thoroughly and then monitor regularly.
    I have many maples in pots next to each other and tbh, not one drys out at the same time.
    This season maybe lost as far as lovely leaves is concerned, unless you get a second flush which is 'entirely possible'.
    So IMO all is not lost.

D

3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I think it's "too wet" : is that perlite in your mix ? If so, I've found that it doesn't work so well with the small maples I repotted them with, showing similar symptoms.
    Maybe they act like a sponge, releasing too much moisture when the soil dries, thus leaving too little oxygen to the roots, or maybe, on the contrary, pumping the necessary water when it gets dry.
    Basically, I think it's a problem related to the roots, so the mix might be not adapted to the tree and your location (climate).

4. kgeezy20

kgeezy20 Active Member Maple Society

It is indeed perlite. Maybe you’re right. I’ve always been hesitant to use as much pine fines as most others seem to use , as I feel like the ones I can purchase locally aren’t of very good quality. The fines could stand to be bigger. But maybe I should just bite the bullet and try it anyways.