Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

One of the variables we tend to ignore is understock. And the nursery rarely has a handle on it either, because whether they produce their own or buy it, they don't really have much of a chance to observe it. Especially given that most grafting is done in winter.

But very vigorous rootstock may cause more reversions or less variegation in variegated cultivars; or if you stick a supposedly vigorous upright on understock that would be a dwarf left on its own... Like dwarfing rootstock in apple trees, I would suppose. And of course all seedlings have root systems of various vigor, which can't be observed during the grafting process. Not to mention disease or hardiness issues.

Yes, I'm obsessed with understock problems! And I've seen more than my share this year, sad to say.

Nice Esk @Acerholic. It is looking good after only 2 years. Do you know your soil pH by any chance? -E

Cjart and dicky5ash like this.
  2. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    A flower for you, Magnolia grandiflora :)
    20200616_165652.jpg

Cjart, Nik, dicky5ash and 1 other person like this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Hi Emery, it's PH 6.5 Fairly neutral tbh.

D

4. Acerholic

@monicasanchez, good afternoon Monica. What a lovely flower. Looks like it doesn't mind the heat at all. Lovely photo, thankyou from my wife also, who loves these.

D

monicasanchez likes this.
  5. Acerholic

@monicasanchez, not a flower for you, but a pretty Acer palmatum 'Coral pink' on it's second flush in my garden a few minutes ago.

D

Attached Files:

AlainK, Nik and monicasanchez like this.
  6. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Acerholic, I'm very glad you liked the photo. By the way, the flower is about 25 centimeters :)

Thanks for the photo of your maple. The contrast of green with young red is very beautiful.

Acerholic likes this.
  7. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

One of my newest additions putting on new growth, Acer elegantulum.

Attached Files:

Nik and monicasanchez like this.
  8. LoverOfMaples

Another new edition. I don't think it is in production just yet from what I've been told, Acer palmatum 'Skeleton Reach' (not the official name yet). Another selection from Crispin Silva.

Attached Files:

monicasanchez, Nik and Acerholic like this.
  9. Acerholic

Good morning D, what a great name, hope it's kept. The lobes are so long and slender for a reticulated variety. Could be a winner!! I like it a lot.

D

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  10. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples good afternoon D, I just watched a Crispin Silva video Vol 1 after you mentioned him in your post. He's a bit camera shy, lol, but likeable and down to earth with wonderful healthy plants; My wife and I loved the Dogwood Cornus Kousa Summer gold. Hopefully he will do some more videos on his new 'maples' similar to Mr Maple. I Just finished watching the latest instalment of Charlie's 'Amazing maples'. I do enjoy that one.

D

11. Mani

Mani Active Member

Hi,

How do the Ukigumo and Butterfly compare in terms of preferred growing conditions, physical form, seasonal colouration and speed of growth?

I accidentally on purpose took a trip to the nursery this morning and have seen a 1-2 foot Butterfly which is surprisingly appealing to me!

12. Acerholic

Hi Mani, my Butterfly takes full sun all day and every day. The only thing to remember is to take out any green reversion limbs and leaves on a regular basis. Otherwise in a few years you will have a dark green leafed maple. It is an upright tree.
    Butterfly is a faster grower than Ukigumo.
    As for Ukigumo, that requires shade as @dicky5ash recommended two days ago for better long term colour.
    Ukigumo is slower and IMO prettier.
    If you want a pink varigation similar to Butterfly take a look at Beni Shichihenge, an upright that is slower growing.

I've added two photos of my Butterfly for you.

This is one cultivar I have never regretted buying btw along with Ukigumo.

D

Attached Files:

monicasanchez, Nik and Mani like this.
  13. LoverOfMaples

Gm @Acerholic. I can't remember the guy name that gave it the name. Maybe it will come to me but I thought it was a pretty good name as well. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Back story:

Crispin gifted Lucile at Whitman's farm with this maple a few years back without a name. She placed it in one of her greenhouses. The guy name I can't remember went to visit Lucile and look around. He wandered into the greenhouse and spotted this maple. He then went to Lucile and acquired about it. She told him it wasn't named. Then he replied the name should be 'Skeleton Reach'. So Lucile reached out to Crispin to see if it's been name and his reply was no. Crispin then replied that it should be call 'Sweet Lucile'. Lucile said, that's sweet but that's a horrible name for a maple and 'Skeleton Reach' is more suitable.

So when I called early Jan to place my winter order she told me she will have some very nice for late spring. Then being the maple addict I am I placed another order for spring and I received 'Skeleton Reach'.

Acerholic likes this.
  14. Mani

Mani Active Member

Thanks for that! I did notice two big reversion leaves on the one I saw. I think I hear it calling my name!! :D

How long did yours take to get that size? You've groomed it very well!

15. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, good afternoon D . What a wonderful history story of a great maple. You should create a thread for this one all of it's own when it is officially named.
    When it becomes available over the pond I will always remember your story here. Brilliant D and Thankyou.

D

Cjart and LoverOfMaples like this.
  16. LoverOfMaples

D, that dogwood is very nice. Crispin has introduced so neat stuff. More videos would be great. Speaking of Mr. Maple, they have been dropping some nice introductions from their Area 51 greenhouse. I'm thinking about getting one called 'Dragon Master'. I missed out on A. oliverianum 'Hot Blonde'. And Charlie, what I would do to have his place, lol.

17. Acerholic

Hi Mani, 30 years on this one. Not my oldest by a long way. I have two 42 year old maples still going strong.

D

18. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, after watching MrMaple, I said to my wife that Hot Blonde was on my to have list. The Look she gave me !!!!
    At least there are no crossed messages with Skeleton reach.

D

19. LoverOfMaples

Lol, be careful D. This is my second time missing it. I think i will shoot them a message just to check.
    Yeah, I check often to see if anything comes up but nothing yet.

20. Acerholic

Good idea D, it is a special Mikawa chance seedling that's for sure. I can see it selling out everywhere tbh.

D

21. Acerholic

This afternoon @Mani was asking about Ukigumo, so I thought I would take a photo of my little tree during the heat of the day at 1615hrs and 27°C.
    I do keep it small due to where it is located in my garden. It's about 2 ft 6 inches tall.
    It has morning sun until 1300hrs, then afternoon shade for the rest of the day. This is why it keeps its pale colour and lovely varigation for so long.
    D

Attached Files:

sun, Nik, monicasanchez and 1 other person like this.
  22. Mani

Mani Active Member

Wait, I'm confused! Which one of you is D? And who is the hot blonde?! :D
    Beautiful colours, D! Nice to see yours keeps it's pinkish hue even with that much sun. I'll bear that in mind - I've placed mine in a much shadier place for fear of it losing it's pink tinge so now I know I can move it if needs be.

23. Acerholic

Lol well I am blonde and a bit warm atm, but that's as far as that goes.
    Do post photos of your Ukigumo throughout the season and next Spring. I for one would love to see it.

D
    PS if you get the chance to watch Mr Maple on YouTube 'Hot blonde', it is a stunning maple. Definitely on my wish list. Tim Nichols from Mr Maple is the president of the North American Branch of the Maple Society and his brother Matt is a board member, so they know what they are talking about.
    PPS A photo of your Ukigumo as your profile picture might be nice??

24. Mani

Mani Active Member

When I get a chance to take a different one I will do!

25. Acerholic

Nice to see a maple leaf Mani.

D

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020