Appreciation: Chamaedorea microspadix

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Nik, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Nik

Nik Contributor

The hardy bamboo palm (Chamaedorea microspadix) replaced the bamboo I was growing indoors. The bamboo needed much more light, and this palm from Mexico tolerates a lot of shade. Very slow grower. First picture is now, second is from three years ago with the bamboo still present and the palm just placed there, a gift from a friend who divided her monster plant.

Attached Files:

GreenLarry likes this.
  2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

What type of bamboo were you growing? It looks much like mine.

3. Nik

Nik Contributor

Hedge bamboo, Bambusa multiplex, but I do not remember the specific variety. It does need plenty of sun, and it gradually declined in that location. I loved it, but I had to part with it.

4. Junglekeeper

Thanks for confirming the identity of my bamboo. Funny thing, last year I moved it to a high light location and it didn't like it. The leaves became yellowish along with some dead spots. It's returning to its former lush green now that it's in a less well lit spot.

5. Nik

Nik Contributor

And here is the Ficus elastica’Burgundy’ from the second photo above, which spends the summer outside. Not the most graceful of plants, but provides some color for our back deck. I like the underside of the leaves.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good afternoon Nik @Nik, that is some amazing close ups. The shadow of the flower on the leaf is also rather special. Looks like the different light also contributes to the wonderful colours.
    I would imagine artificial light in the evening makes this plant even more interesting!!
    Hope it does OK outside for the next several weeks.

7. Nik

Nik Contributor

Hi D, that is not a flower, it is the protective sheath that covers the new leaf. Rather decorative though...

8. Acerholic

Ah Ok Nik, thanks for letting me know. It is very pretty like that. Great photo, you got the light perfectly.

9. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

Thats a nice looking palm

Nik likes this.
  10. Nik

Nik Contributor

Good growth this summer. Still very slow though...
    Our 15 year old Jack Russell terrier likes resting on the couch underneath.

Attached Files:

Daniel Mosquin and Acerholic like this.
  11. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have the Chamaedorea in my greenhouse, its is over a decade old and is about 15 ft tall.

Nik likes this.
  12. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

The Palmpedia.com page notes:
    Several forms are cultivated and these vary in shape, color, and size of pinnae and the glaucous white covering on the underside. Some forms have pinnae that are entirely green on the underside while others have pinnae that are distinctly powdery-white below. Chamaedorea microspadix is durable, hardy, and of relatively easy culture. There appears to be some variation in tolerance of light among various forms. Some are more tolerant of higher light than others and can be grown in nearly full-sun, resulting in only slight yellowing of the leaves.

13. Junglekeeper

Thanks for the information but the plant that I have is a variety of Bambusa multiplex. That's what the "it" was in reference to.

14. Nik

Nik Contributor

New flower buds are pushing through. I normally remove them very early on, but this year I will let them develop fully, so I know if it is a male or a female plant.

Attached Files:

bihai and Acerholic like this.
  15. Nik

Nik Contributor

One of the emerging inflorescences has an interesting, almost alien look. Still very early in its development. The others are even further behind.

Attached Files:

Margot and Acerholic like this.
  16. Acerholic

Stunning photos N. It has been like watching a time lapse video!! Nearly there....

17. Nik

Nik Contributor

Still too early to tell, but just the overall look of the inflorescences suggests female. I’ll wait for the flowers to open to confirm it, then I will remove them.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  18. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Why will you remove the flowers?

19. Nik

Nik Contributor

They will never develop into fruit, I have no other palms in the house... So I’d rather have all energy to go into leaf production. I actually have been removing them every previous year, now I am just curious to figure out the sex of my plant. Even though they look interesting, it is the foliage of the plant that I care about as a house plant.

Daniel Mosquin, Acerholic and wcutler like this.
  20. Nik

Nik Contributor

I removed one of the inflorescences trying to take better close ups, but it is still too early to tell definitively.. I have to wait a bit longer.

Attached Files: