Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Yes. Soil, soil-mix for potted trees, fertilzers or not, etc can make two clones very different. I have these two 'Orange Dream', the mother tree and an air-layer from it.

I kept the air-layer in almost full sun, it was the first year it didn't get leaf spot, but with the heavy rain we had, it developped some. When seen from the side, it doesn't show that much, but it's obvious from above. So I defoliated it : it's a technique used to get smaller leaves on well-established trees. It's also an oppurtunity to trim shoots that are too long.

The petiole is left, and after something like a week after when you touch them, they fall, which is the sign new buds are swelling. When they stay, it's bad news, but so far I've never had any bad surprise.

acerp_orangedream01_200612a.jpg acerp_orangedream01_200612b.jpg acerp_orangedream01_200612c.jpg

The mother-tree is in almost full shade. Here's a picture I've just taken. On the left in the secondt picture, a 'Phoenix' :

(May 2020, 14th June 2020)

acerp_orangedream00_200505a.jpg acerp_orangedream00_200614a.jpg

2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Among the seedlings from "Arboretum des Barres", I have these that sprouted in the spring of 2019.

The first one doesn't really look like a "palmatum", but when I collected the seeds in Autumn 2018, I didn't have a pen, no paper, no plastic bags, so I just put the about 10 varieties of them in my pockets. The second one looks more like a "palmatum", I have one or two that show the same characteristic : the first two lobes in rather big leaves are almost parallel to the petiole.

sem.acer-LesBarres-200614a.jpg sem.acer-LesBarres-200614b.jpg

I have others that I can more or less identify, like some from an Acer tataricum and Acer davidii, but there were also 5 or 6 Acer palmatum cultivars, and everyone knows how most of them aren't true to the type.

emery, zfrittz, Nik and 1 other person like this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good evening Alain, hope it's a pleasant Summers evening where you are.

My wife and I have done just the same at Winkworth Arboretum, no envelopes or pen etc etc and found loads.
    The next visit at Wisely, all bagged up, pens, camera and nothing. LOL.

Regarding your seedlings, I wish I could help, but as you know it's so so difficult, even if you return to the arboretum to check out the palmatums there. They do look healthy anyway.
    D

4. Acerholic

A couple of photos taken moments ago, after D @LoverOfMaples mentioned my Anne Irene and Shirazz. Thought I would put Jordan in aswell. The sun has just gone in, but this area is still cheerful and bright.

D

Attached Files:

Cjart, wind-borne, AlainK and 5 others like this.
  5. Acerholic

My little Moonrise and Red Dragon are quite cute this afternoon.

D

Attached Files:

sun, AlainK, Nik and 4 others like this.
  6. Acerholic

Aureum and Autumn Moon are liking the cloudy day now. It's a special year for the Shirasawanum's.

D

Attached Files:

wind-borne, AlainK, Nik and 3 others like this.
  7. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

So I had a bit of a scare last night. I was wondering why I didn't get a shipping email from Sooner about my order so I went to their website to check status and noticed that I never clicked on the Paypal button to send them the funds. They said that they cancel orders after 5 days if funds aren't received and also I noticed that Grandma Ghost trees were now sold out until September. So I quickly paid them and was planning on calling them this morning to see whether I blew it. But I got an email confirming the order when I got in to work and it will be shipping tomorrow!! Whew...

8. Acerholic

Good morning J, look forward to seeing your new purchases.
    D

9. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Back from a 2 week internet outage!!

You've all been very busy, took me a while to get through the thread! :) Nice to see.

I too love maple hedges, there are many around here along the lanes, but they are always mixed with hawthorne and hornbeam. We do have a friend who has a nice one at her cottage, but they are usually reserved for chateaux. It's too bad, there are also a number of cultivars (like A. campestre 'Red Shine') that make "absolutely fabulous" hedging. I'm working on a palmatum hedge, but free-standing, not formal. It is taking its time for the base trees, 11 upright A. palmatum, to come in, before I start planting between them with smaller bushy palmatums.

@AlainK I'm pretty sure your first isn't palmatum though a hybrid is always possible. We'll have to wait to ID it. The second looks like flabellatum but is probably just a variation on amoenum.

I've also noticed a large difference in the expression of maples (and cultivars) based on soil: for example my 'Autumn Moon' stays very red all year, I really never see green leaves, even though it's in a shady spot and established. Pretty sure it's down to the acidity.

Here are some pictures of A. campestre 'Silver Celebration' which I took a couple of days ago. This is an introduction from Karan Junker from a seedling of 'Carnival', and I think it is the superior of its parent in most gardens: doesn't burn, less prone to reversion.

Attached Files:

wind-borne, AlainK, Nik and 2 others like this.
  10. Acerholic

Good afternoon Emery, nice to see you back on the forum. Yes it has been busy, but slowing down a bit now, which is natural during Summer. Your Silver Celebration has a lot of character, even down to the lichen on the branches. The leaf colouring and varigation is more defined than Carnival it seems. I see you have kept leaves on the trunk, presumably to help strengthen and thicken it ?
    Regarding differences in cultivars around the globe, it is fascinating to watch on this thread the variations from how the soil and local environments play a big part in our trees development; including where placed.

Lovely photos again Emery.

D

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    dicky5ash likes this.
  11. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Few quick snaps

oridono nishiki loving life this year..my other one of a similar size is not as variegated.
    Baldsmith
    Filigree growing into a nice shape
    This particular ukigumo decided to be more green than white this year ..but I like this colouration
    Phoenix thinks it’s a Ukigumo this year
    Flamingo

Attached Files:

sun, dangerine49, wind-borne and 5 others like this.
  12. Acerholic

A few quick 'beautiful' snaps R. Love your A conspicuum Phoenix.

D

13. Mani

Mani Active Member

What is the one with the bright orange leaves in the white pot? It's stunning!

14. Acerholic

Or is that conspicuum Red Flamingo ?? And palmatum Phoenix ?
    D

15. dicky5ash

Yes the latter is correct

16. dicky5ash

Hi Mani,

It’s Baldsmith, pink, red green..I love this cultivar

Attached Files:

sun, AlainK, Nik and 1 other person like this.
  17. Mani

Mani Active Member

Never heard of that one before! Those colours are soooo striking and I really like it's form!

18. dicky5ash

Re differences..it is bizarre, even pairs of trees bought at the same time, potted, using the same compost...

19. Acerholic

@dicky5ash has an absolute stunner there Mani. Years of hard work to get it looking lime that.

D

dicky5ash likes this.
  20. Acerholic

I know, isn't it great !!!
    D

dicky5ash likes this.
  21. dicky5ash

Thank you..no hard work at all..it was a gift for my 40th birthday, 5 years on..Its due for repoting it but it looks so nice I’m scared to lol Interestingly, it looked drab and uninspiring for 3 years and now looks better every year.

Cjart likes this.
  22. Acerholic

What a lovely birthday present R. A gift that keeps giving and giving.
    D

Cjart and dicky5ash like this.
  23. dicky5ash

That’s it I’m not going to any nurseries for a long time..I simply cannot be trusted..having been locked down for months..it’s like playing catch up on beers..I’ve acted like a kid in a sweet shop

Hime Shojo
    Ekan
    Seiryu (replacing the tree I lost in the spring)

Cjart and Acerholic like this.
  24. Acerholic

Lol, but did you get told off when bringing them home?? Luke, @Luke’s Maples was told to take his straight back.!! I'm sitting in my garden feeling quite innocent atm. No deliveries, YET !!
    Like your selection btw. Great posting R .
    D

Cjart likes this.
  25. Acerholic

Here is my Esk Sunset this afternoon in the sunshine. It's only 8ft tall, but now settling in very well after two years in the ground.

D

Attached Files:

Atapi, Cjart, AlainK and 1 other person like this.