And our yard... with influences from Japanese and Chinese gardens

Discussion in 'Japanese Gardens' started by Nik, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Nik

Nik Contributor

Some photos taken today on a nice sunny late morning. The sporophytes on the mosses are crazy this year, I suspect the mild winter had a role.

Attached Files:

Mani, Margot and Acerholic like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

As I've said before Nik, 'what a beautiful and dramatic garden you have'. People pay a fortune for rock's like that. Very envious on this side of the pond, Lol.

D

Nik likes this.
  3. Nik

Nik Contributor

Hi D, thank you and yes, we realize we are very lucky. Many of our friends have mentioned that we live in a “vacation house”. And for the most part it is true.. Since we are normally embedded in nature, we usually vacation in large cities around the globe, and if we decide we need some more pristine Nature, we go to Iceland in the winter (much better than the summer). Nothing beats soaking in a geothermal pool and looking at the northern lights. They also have some great restaurants (we are foodies). And during the daytime in winter, the light is perfect for photos, it’s like a permanent dawn/dusk (sunrise/sunset). If you have not experienced it, I strongly recommend it. Quite close to the UK..

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  4. Acerholic

Beautiful photos Nik. Yes it's on our bucket list. Our children had it booked for Easter, but this darned virus put paid to it for them. Oh well, 2021 then.
    D

Nik likes this.
  5. Nik

Nik Contributor

And here is the backyard in the late afternoon, good sunny day, about 20 degrees C, it is a southern exposure and in full sun almost all day. Maples still love it.

Attached Files:

Margot and Acerholic like this.
  6. Acerholic

Just that one red maple and it all looks so wonderful and peaceful. It's what you say, a garden with influences from Japanese and Chinese gardens. = 'Less is more'.

Very serene Nik.

D

Nik likes this.
  7. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

So true. Nik's garden is the epitome of peace and tranquility. My garden has similar rock at or near the surface but, over the years, leaves and other debris have composted in all the nooks and crannies, creating enough of a foothold for dozens of non-native grasses and other species to take over. I've spent years removing it all and wondering what to plant instead . . . but now I realize I'd don't need to plant anything else. The rocks and mosses and occasional native bulbs are enough. I feel liberated. Thank you.

Nik likes this.
  8. Nik

Nik Contributor

Here is what grows on top of the rocks in our yard.

Attached Files:

Margot and Acerholic like this.
  9. Acerholic

Love the second from last photo Nik. Nature finds a way.!!!!!!

Nik likes this.
  10. Nik

Nik Contributor

Forgot to mention that I never water the moss/lichen/rocks. On hot summer days everything could dry to a crisp, but the next morning it is fresh and green again. As you say D, Nature finds a way...