Problems with my meyer lemon tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Fluffycat, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Fluffycat

Fluffycat New Member

Hello experts, I bought this meyer lemon tree about 1 month back and repotted it into a 14" terracotta pot. I watered it once a week when the soil is try (using a moisture meter), and made sure it was watered thoroughly.

It stays indoor as we live in NYC with no balcony. However we bought a grow light and turned on during the day for extra light. No extreme heat or cold so far. However the leafs do not way upright with some wilting/drooping. Have not seen flower or bud yet. Am I doing something wrong? Does this tree look healthy?

First time caring for a tree so no prior experience. Please help. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

What direction is the window facing? The spot seems to be poorly lit. The grow light may not be enough.

The tree does not appear to be in bad shape. The manner in which you water is sound as long as your moisture meter is functioning properly and the soil mix is sufficiently porous to allow water to drain properly. It would be a concern if the leaves are wilting even after watering. That would suggest a degree of root damage due to an overly moist medium, perhaps one that is staying moist for longer than desired.

There's an alternative to using a moisture meter. Once the tree has been thoroughly watered, lift the container to feel its weight then use its relative weight to decide when to water again.

3. Fluffycat

Fluffycat New Member

Thank you very much! I did notice that there is more moist around the edges of the pot, while middle (area around the trunk) tend to be dry or dry out more quickly after watering. Do you think this will lead to a root rot?

4. Junglekeeper

The container cannot be seen in the photos but it sounds like it is too big for the tree. In such a case the outside portion of the medium where there are no roots would stay moist for longer periods. This creates an unhealthy environment for the roots to grow in.

5. Fluffycat

Fluffycat New Member

My tree is about 59" tall and pot is 14". Apologize for missing pot pic. I have attached here and you can see soil near the trunk is higher than soil around the edge.

Attached Files:

6. Junglekeeper

The container seems a bit big in relation to the size of the tree. How far does the root mass extend to the sides? The container should be slightly larger than the root ball.
    Is there a reason for doing this? I've not heard of any benefit as far as citrus is concerned.