Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Ack, fleas, it must be the heat! Yes pulgas or puces indeed. Thankfully we do not get too many here. Even on the dogs, and thank you. They are good dogs most of the time! :)

@zfrittz Indeed, the pictures I posted are not Acer granatense. That has been confirmed. As far as I could guess, the picture posted could be Acer granatense, or from the picture, and if in an arboretum, Acer hyrcanum. Note though that hyrcanum is not native to your region.

Here are some pictures from today of a lovely maple that does well here, the Vine Maple Acer circinatum. I watered it today for the first time this year, so it is resisting the dry very well.

IMG_20200602_180530_1.jpg IMG_20200602_180550_1.jpg IMG_20200602_180610_1.jpg IMG_20200602_180627_1.jpg

Cjart, wind-borne, AlainK and 2 others like this.
  2. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

I took some pics of my peony buds with their ant friends this AM. I see it's still apropos due to the ongoing critter discussions. Also some other random stuff. My Red Dragon is finally turning red. I moved it to a sunnier locale.

Attached Files:

wind-borne, AlainK, Acerholic and 2 others like this.
  3. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

I have one planted in my landscape that seeds prolifically (apparently it is self-fertile - ?). Grown in a pot placed mostly in shade and then moved into full sun, the seedlings' leaves will turn to an unusual orange-red for a few weeks.

2014-07-07 14.53.26.jpg

dangerine49, Cjart, AlainK and 3 others like this.
  4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Osoyoung, good morning J. That is a glorious colour. The orange with the green veins looks amazing. When I expanded your photo, it just gets better and better.

0soyoung likes this.
  5. Acerholic

@dangerine49 , good morning J. Red dragon really does prefer more sun in my garden aswell. Is photo no 9 Peaches and cream?
    Lovely photos to wake up to again by you and @Osoyoung this morning.
    Starts my day off, 'just as I like it'. Thankyou.

6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

What a pretty little thing! Yes they are monoecious so an isolated individual can produce seed. Of course like most of the section they are quite polymorphic and cross easily with various members of Section palmata. Actually circinatum is almost genetically indistinguishable from japonicum at our current level of detail.

-E

[Comment from wcutler, moderator: the rest of this posting was a reply to a posting that has been moved to a new thread, so that has been copied to that thread and deleted from here: Acer circinatum not on Vancouver Island?]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2020
    0soyoung likes this.
  7. Acerholic

It's raining here at last, my trees are loving it. There is nothing like rain water on the leaves to bring out the colours. Here are some photos taken in the last hour in my garden. The reds are looking nice this morning.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

OK another downpour. So out with the camera again. I'm now soaked lol. But here are some more.
    My wife just gave me a look of 'you stupid boy' as I came in from the garden looking like a drowned rat.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

I've just had a text from DHL. I have a delivery later from Hippopotering. Does this day get any better !!!
    I'll update the thread with photos when they arrive.

dicky5ash likes this.
  10. Acerholic

Guess what!! the delivery van broke down. They won't be here until tomorrow, LOL. Well I wasn't laughing when I saw the text. But hey-ho

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  11. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Haha.. I have a DHL delivery from Hippo tomorrow too. Small world.

This little lot came today. Can anyone guess what they are?

Attached Files:

12. Luke’s Maples

Attached Files:

13. Luke’s Maples

A few close ups of my new babies..

Attached Files:

14. Luke’s Maples

Beautiful pictures Acerholic. Thanks for sharing those. I love the raindrops on the leaves.

15. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples, Hi Luke, great to see you back. Expect you are very busy at work now. Hope you're enjoying the lovely rain? I'm guessing Geisha gone wild, Grandma ghost, Baby ghost Goshiki Shidare ??? I have no idea about the other 3 . Bet I'm totally wrong on the 4 I've guessed at lol.
    What do you have coming from Hippo tomorrow? I have Hessei and Azuma Murasaki. As you say it's a small world for us Maple lovers.

D

16. Acerholic

Is that Extravaganza??
    Is that Extravaganza??? Still not sure about the others.

17. Luke’s Maples

Hi. It’s good to be back. Thanks. Hessei is on my wanted list and I nearly added it to my order but chose Autumn Glory instead. The other 3 I have ordered are Baldsmith, Flavescens and Ueno Yama.

The trees I received today.

From Barthelemys - Aratama, Goshiki Shidare, Taimin Nishiki and Higasayama.

From Maillot - Rainbow, Lileeanne’s Jewel and Taimen Nishiki.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2020
    Acerholic likes this.
  18. Luke’s Maples

Acerholic where did you find Fujinami Nishiki? How long have you had it, and does it retain the variegation? Thanks

19. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Since my camera is barely fatter than a phone I slipped it into my back pocket on my morning walk and took a few circinatum pictures this morning even though the thread has moved on.

This one is a large bush with some nice subtle leaf colors and one of the seedlings I've been eyeing.
    DSCN8741.jpg DSCN8748.jpg DSCN8757.jpg

Thought you all might get a kick out of this hedge.
    DSCN8750.jpg DSCN8749.jpg DSCN8753.jpg

Pruned to be more tree like.
    DSCN8737.jpg

Also at the same house, though it's quite small, the flamboyant 'Sunny Sister'.
    DSCN8730.jpg DSCN8735.jpg DSCN8733.jpg DSCN8738.jpg

20. Acerholic

@Luke’s Maples, I got one right, that's good for me tbh. What a wonderful selection you've had delivered. I bet you have a big smile on your face today, lol.
    Make sure you post photos tomorrow of your delivery, I will do the same if the van doesn't break down again!!!
    Re Lileeanne's Jewel, I love the leaves, it's Shirazz on steroids lol. You will not need Extravaganza now you have Rainbow.
    I am very impressed with your new babies. I've just said to my wife, "look what Luke's just got", She did not reply. Lol.
    Your garden is going to be ablaze with colour in October/ November. I look forward to seeing your photos this Autumn.

D

21. Acerholic

@wind-borne , good afternoon G, a bit of rain brings our cameras out. Mine did this morning.
    I love Sunny sister and a hedge of acer, wonderful, now that's a lot better than Leylandii.

D

22. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

This is... wonderful, astonishing, flabbergasting ! (even in French I just cazn't find my words)

I couldn't imagine a hedge could be made of other maples than field maples (very commonly seen here).

I have so any seedlings of Acer palmatum palmatum that I'm beginning to wonder if, with regular pruning...

23. Acerholic

Hi Luke sorry for the delay, I could not find the receipt anywhere, but now have. It was Lotta plants NL. This was 3 years ago. It does 'not' retain the varigation. It is not stable. I don't think I would buy it again.
    But in Autumn it is a wonderful scarlet.
    I will add 3 photos for you.
    I see Maillot and Esveld do it.

D

Attached Files:

24. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

No, #9 is Ariadne.

Here's Red Dragon with some morning back light and some drippy ones too.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

@dangerine49, good morning J . I think that Red Dragon should be a must for any collection. I have mine near my White feather Hosta and Autumn moon. I Remember Luke @Luke’s Maples was asking about getting one a few weeks back.here is mine.

Attached Files: