Deadly Invaders!

Discussion in 'Celebrate Biodiversity' started by togata57, May 2, 2020.

1. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Beekeeper Conrad Bérubé told The New York Times he was recently attacked by a swarm of the 'murder hornets' on Vancouver Island.
    'It was like having red-hot thumbtacks being driven into my flesh,' Bérubé stated, adding that he was left bleeding from the attack.

Last November, a beekeeper in Washington state found 'thousands and thousands' of his honeybees with their heads torn off.

Please be careful, everyone!

Hornets | Washington State Department of Agriculture

‘Murder Hornets’ in the U.S.: The Rush to Stop the Asian Giant Hornet

Giant 'murder hornets' that kill 50 people per year in Asia have invaded the US | Daily Mail Online

If you see an Asian giant hornet or have seen evidence of a hive attack, please report it! There are several ways to report:

2. togata57

Mantises were considered to have supernatural powers by early civilizations, including Ancient Greece, Ancient Egypt, and Assyria.
    As a lifelong mantis fan & observer, I cannot but agree with this assessment.

Warning: video impressive but ghastly!
    Shocking moment a praying mantis kills and eats the head of a 'murder hornet' | Daily Mail Online

Japanese Honeybees have developed a defense strategy:
    Japanese honeybees COOK invading 'murder hornets' to death | Daily Mail Online
    Perhaps some could be imported to teach European, American, and Canadian honeybees these hive-saving maneuvers!

The name of this action is my Phrase of the Day:
    'Hot defensive bee ball'!

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Let's get the story straight. Beekeeper Conrad Bérubé told the Times that he was stung several times while wiping out a colony on Vancouver Island last year. That's not quite the same thing as being the victim of an uprovoked attack by a 'swarm' of 'murder hornets'.

I think it is imperative to nip this hysteria in the bud. I mean - who came up with the name, Murder Hornets? Unfortunately it was one individual Japanese researcher and, not surprisingly, the press jumped all over it! As if we don't have enough to worry about these days.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...wn-bee-expert-bc-asian-giant-hornet-1.5554746

We in BC and the general Pacific Northwest have much more to fear from Asian Beetles than Vespa mandarinia. While it is true that these things kill dozens of people each year in Asia, they don’t normally attack humans or animals unless they feel like their nest in the ground is threatened.

I, for one, am not going to lose any sleep over this.

4. togata57

I congratulate you on your equanimity.

Disregarding nicknames and overblown prose to examine the facts of this situation---which, surely, we can do---the advent of this insect is perceived by scientists to pose a genuine threat to the honeybee population. This is serious news and a genuine cause for great concern.

I do not believe that the Washington State Department of Agriculture would publish a form and solicit sighting reports due to media stories or inflammatory verbiage. If these trained and presumably intelligent experts are taking the hornets seriously, so will I.

5. Gaian Light

Gaian Light New Member

The Japanese honey bees have found a way to cook the Asian hornets to death. The European honey bees try to fight the hornets with their stings, but the giant hornets are far too strong for the European honey bees, which is why the hornets are such a major threat to European bee hives and honey production.

Unlike the Japanese honey bees, the European honey bees don't know that they should be cooking the hornets to death.

What would happen if the hornets came across the aggressive African killer bees?

Maybe the hornets would meet their end with the African killer bees, or not.

6. Margot

There are numerous articles online about the overblown reaction to the threat of 'murder hornets'.

Here a column from last week by none other than David Suzuki.

COLUMN: Do ‘murder hornets’ pose a serious buzzkill?
    - David Suzuki dissects Asian giant hornet hysteria
    COLUMN: Do ‘murder hornets’ pose a serious buzzkill? - Vancouver Island Free Daily

Quote from DS: "Gardening can be the best defence for bees and an antidote to hornet hysteria."

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Awhile back I mentioned the bit about European honey bees not using the forming a ball and overheating strategy to a friend with a long involvement with beekeeping here in western WA and he said locally kept honey bees form balls around species of hive entering hornets already present here. (Presumably bald faced, maybe European also).

8. Margot

Good for them! Hopefully they'll extend the same welcome to these new invaders, should they dare enter.

Gaian Light likes this.
  9. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

One article I read suggested that, because of the hornets' much larger size, beekeepers can install gates at hive entrances to prevent their entry into a hive.

10. togata57

11. Margot

Yes, 'fears have grown' thanks to sensationalistic articles such as the one you have chosen to share. Nerves on are edge in this time of coronavirus . . . no need to fan people's worries more than necessary. Did you read the sensible article I posted yesterday by Dr. David Suzuki?
    COLUMN: Do ‘murder hornets’ pose a serious buzzkill? - Vancouver Island Free Daily

Let's get a grip.

12. Gaian Light

Gaian Light New Member

Even with the ball strategy, the bee hives are not safe from the hornets.

For example in this video, the Japanese bee hive took a severe beating from the attacking hornets.

Japanese bees have evolved to fight the hornets by forming balls,
    but even their hives are still threatened by the invading hornets.

The bee hive has to be strong and healthy to survive the hornets.

Still interested to know how African killer bees would deal with these invading hornets.

African killer bees are very VERY aggressive, far more aggressive than the European bee.

13. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

14. togata57

'Sensationalistic'?
    The Guardian, as a news organ and the sum of its articles, is among the least sensationalistic of any known to me.
    I chose this measured and informative article not to inflame or frighten, but to share information with fellow forum members.
    I have, and will maintain, my grip.

15. Margot

FYI

When I went to read the Vancouver Sun article Wendy mentioned, I couldn't unless I first created an account. Instead I googled "Flying Fearmongers Vaughn Palmer" and opened it on pressreader. I thought others who want to read it without creating an account would like to know. I liked the tone of VP's article - factual but a bit tongue-in-cheek. It would be very unfortunate if people started to panic about this.

Read more about how, “In Japan, the Murder Hornet is Both a Lethal Threat and a Tasty Treat.” Ben Dooley NYT Tokyo correspondent.

PressReader - Vancouver Sun: 2020-05-29 - FLYING FEARMONGERS?

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  16. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Thank you, Margot. I find the Vancouver Sun site very annoying, but that they would have a Share option that is just a tease is very very annoying. I went to Share, selected Copy Link. Why shouldn't I expect that that would mean people could access the article from the link?

17. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Having just read all the posts on here about the Murder Hornet, IMO everybody has a very good point.
    But my point is, the media industry have to sell their papers and bad news or scare stories 'does' sell papers.
    I noticed that the Daily Mail UK covered this story and the photo of the Hornet was magnified. Why ? Um !! I think we know why.
    I personally would rather listen and read scientific research on a matter like this, rather than alarming headlines from ANY news paper or TV news channel.

Margot likes this.
  18. Gaian Light

Gaian Light New Member

True, the media does sensationalize topics. But, the giant Asian hornets have been reported to be in North America by scientists. This should be of serious concern to all of us everywhere. If the hornets can invade North America, then the hornets can also invade Europe too. How did the hornets get to North America? Probably via international travel. The hornets need to be stopped from killing the honey bees, which is why public awareness via the media is important.

19. Margot

Certainly the giant Asian hornets are a concern for many reasons as are all sorts of other introduced insects (not to mention diseases) that have arrived in BC from foreign shores over the past century - many quite recently. Public awareness is essential to control or eradicate all of these, not just 'Murder Hornets' which are receiving media attention more for their name and frightening photographs than the damage they may potentially cause.

"There are many non-native, invasive pests that threaten British Columbia's economy, including the agriculture and forest industries, and the environment. Prevention, early detection, and control or eradication of these pests is key to preventing their establishment in B.C."
    Invasive Pests and Biosecurity - Province of British Columbia

Pest Alerts highlight new and invasive plant pests of concern to agriculture in B.C. Early detection and identification of a new pest will greatly improve chances of eradicating the pest or slowing its spread and damage.
    Pest Alerts - Province of British Columbia

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    Acerholic likes this.
  20. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Margot, Good evening Margot, what an excellent post by you and tbh something every country suffers from. (Non native species) that cause havoc environmentally and financially.
    Unfortunately not all invasive species is by accident, but by illegal trading of animals that carry pests and diseases into countries. This is something I'm very aware of and feel very strongly about.

Again 'EXCELLENT' posting Margot.

D

21. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes; the 'Daily Fail' is a dreadful rag, full of sensationalist rubbish, and also extreme right-wing (owned by a family with a long history of fascist & Nazi sympathies). Definitely a source to avoid. Worth noting that Wikipedia bans it as an information source.

22. togata57

23. Margot

So, what does that tell you? It tells me that the threat Vespa mandarinia poses is real and recognized by the Department of Agriculture which is monitoring it. Other than keeping an eye open for a possible sighting, what are we supposed to do?

This sensationalistic story has obviously captured the imagination of The Guardian more than it has those of most us who live in the area. What is it about a potential disaster half a world away that captivates readers' interest and sells papers? Personally, I'm much more worried about the potential harm other newly-arrived insects pose than I am of the poorly named 'Murder Hornets' aka 'Giant Asian Hornets'. See my post from June 6. Many equally problematic insects such as Japanese Beetle have been identified and are likewise being monitored. (Never mind plant diseases that have shown up in the past decade or so.)

It's much too early to hit the panic button.

For a more balanced viewpoint, read David Suzuki's article: "Do Murder Hornets Pose a Serious Buzzkill?"
    Do “murder hornets” pose a serious buzzkill? - David Suzuki Foundation

24. togata57

25. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

That Suzuki piece dates from May, when only a few hornets had been verified. The newly discovered nest is estimated to contain hundreds of them.