Virtual Garden Tour 2000-2021

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Margot, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Another with lovely scent in my garden this afternoon is Lonicera periclymenum 'Strawberries and cream'. This is a dwarf shrub that is ideal for people that do not have the room for the rampant large Lonicera's. It loves the full sun and the bees just love it.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Hi @Silver surfer, 16 years wow. We remember Jim from the Beachgrove garden saying about 10 -12 years, but as we are in the deep South we are hoping a little earlier, fingers crossed.

3. Acerholic

Good morning, here is my very large Hosta Patriot, now showing the start of it's Summer flowering.

Attached Files:

Margot likes this.
  4. Acerholic

This is my Hosta 'Praying hands', now showing good growth It's surrounded by egg shells to stop the pesky slugs. The bonus is, it does work and the Hedgehogs do not become sick on pellets in my garden.

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

Two grasses starting to make good growth and colour in my grass themed front garden, Carex 'Bronze Star' and Japanese blood grass 'Red Baron'

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

Just finished our longer walk along the River Itchen in Hampshire England this morning. On the lookout for plants all the time and came across these near St Catherine's Hill Winchester next to the river. They are Red Campion, Daisy, Spirea Arguta, Cowparsly and Last but not least, my smell of Summer in England along with Strawberries and freshly cut grass. Wild Honeysuckle.
    Hope you enjoy these as much as my wife and I just did.

Attached Files:

Gwen Miller and Margot like this.
  7. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Acerholic - your Ginkgo bilboa is beautiful and makes me wish I had the conditions here to grow one.

There's not a lot of new bloom in my garden these days. Here are 3 that I am enjoying . . .
    1. Tradescantia x andersoniana ‘Blue & Gold’. Not in full bloom yet. It always gets beaten down by rain and gravity but it's at its prime just now.
    2. Allium schoenoprasum. As useful as it is beautiful . . . for the moment. It has grown to 2 feet tall this wet spring.
    3. Hemerocallis lilioasphodelus. I think this is the correct botanical name, aka plain old ordinary yellow daylily; very charming.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  8. Acerholic

@Margot , Good morning Margot, thankyou, we like the shapes of the leaves on the Ginko. Your fresh Spring colours are a welcome site. Things here in England are rapidly turning to Summer colours due to the heat we are experiencing.
    I Hope to add more to your thread later.

9. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I wish we had a River Itchen to walk along as you do. I'm curious how many of the lovely plants you see blooming are native to the area. Not that it really matters because they are all beautiful.

There is a river nearby called the Englishman River :-) but it is far too wild and rocky to walk along except in short sections. People here prefer to walk on paths and walkways next to the ocean where most of the vegetation is still native.

10. Acerholic

A beautiful sunny morning along the River Itchen in Hampshire England. Some photos of what we saw.

Attached Files:

Margot likes this.
  11. Acerholic

Well a few more from our walk along the Itchen this morning, I love the way trees just grow from seed anywhere, as you can see in the photo of the Ash with roots in the river. Plus some cute ducklings and welcome shade that the tree canopy gives in this heat. Even Stinging nettles look good, but not too close !!!!

Attached Files:

Margot and Gwen Miller like this.
  12. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

I was inspired by Acerholic's walk along the River Itchen so I took a wander through my gardens this morning.....

Acerholic and Margot like this.
  13. Acerholic

Hi @pmurphy, whether it's close up or from a distance, plants just look wonderful.
    I think we all inspire each other on this forum !!!

So pleased Margot started this thread, I'm really enjoying it.

D

14. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I don't know pink pussy toes at all, don't think I would have guessed that it's in the Asteraceae family.

Just so you know, I like how you have named your photos, but if you ever want to check back here to see when you posted any of these, unless you put the plant names in the actual text, you (or anyone else) won't be able to find them in a search.

15. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

@Acerholic The plant in one of your recent posts labelled "Forget Me Not" is most likely a Slender Speedwell, Veronica filiformis introduced to the UK at the very beginning of the nineteenth century. FMN leaves look very different and the flowers are five-petalled.

Acerholic likes this.
  16. Acerholic

Hi @Sundrop, thanks. I think you are right.

17. pmurphy

Thanks for the tip Wendy.

Pink pussytoes is actually a North American native that does well in sunny, dry conditions. It is a ground cover that is moderately tolerant of foot traffic and with the flower stalk only about 4-6" tall.

18. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Yes, it does extremely well!!

19. Acerholic

Good morning, I was welcomed with the first showing of my Clematis 'Kitty' in my garden before breakfast. Put a smile on my face to start the day !!

Off for our walk now, hope to find some more to add to the thread.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

To the right if my house (E) I have the River Itchen and to the left (W) a nice lake,(Hiltingbury). Our walk this morning took us around the lake. I have posted photos of Rhodedenron Ponticum which has taken over the surrounding area. I have also shown work in progress to remove it by the woodland trust for @wcutler to see. It's such a shame as the photos show the flowers are so pretty . It's just so invasive. A photo of a Canada goose on our lake here in Hampshire England, for our Canadian friends . Wild geraniums ( Sanguineum bloody cranes-bill) flourish as do the Campanula raunculus.
    A very pretty grass, 'Wood malika' can also be seen in abundance near the paths around the lake.
    Hope that's given a small picture of some colour in the area where I live.
    Now the weeds beckon in my garden, so back to work!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  21. wcutler

The Rhododendorn ponticum certainly is pretty - I have seen it in England. Interesting that it is native to Europe and was in England before the last ice age, then disappeared and was introduced in the 1700's. It sounds like when (at least a particular subspecies is) used as rootstock, it behaves for rhododendrons the way Prunus avium behaves here, sending up suckers and overtaking the cultivars, so at least some occurrences of it were not intended to be the species planting. Interesting too that the honey produced from the pollen can be poisonous and the nectar is toxic to European honeybees. This is all from Wikipedia: Rhododendron ponticum - Wikipedia.

Acerholic likes this.
  22. Gwen Miller

Gwen Miller Active Member

Some moments in my garden that make me glad. This spring we've heard passersby saying "Look at the PURPLE!" The aubretia has spilled down and is creeping forward on the xeriscape.... I'll be under a plant somewhere weeding . . . it's nice to hear.

The pink peony was my great-grandma's. It moved to my great Uncle Slim's home on Bowen Island before going to my mum about 38 years ago. I snagged it about 20 years ago when it wouldn't bloom for mum. It did well till a big renovation decimated my garden. Most plants were lost, but I found a dried, bedraggled scrap about the size of a straw that looked peony-ish. Seven years later, she's recovered! My mum remembers it in her grandma's garden in the 30's. She lived in one of the big wisteria-festooned homes on East 15th Avenue, across from what was then called Buffalo Park. It's now Clark Park. Mum says there were a couple of buffalo in the park when she was a child. I can't find anything about that on-line. Any history buffs here?

1) David is becoming more hirsute with every passing year. Last night he was wearing an earring.
    2) Hemerocallis lilioasphodelus, an old variety that came with the house. The loveliest clear yellow, beautiful simple form, and the fragrance of heaven. Glad Margot likes them too!
    3) Podophyllum chengii 'Hunan'
    4) Podophyllum 'Spotty Dotty', an unknown hosta, and a fern I propagated from spore. (Which is how I learned why growers need to charge what they do.)
    5) Podophyllum 'Spotty Dotty' blooming
    6) Rhododendron pachysanthum fronting Hosta 'Krossa Regal'
    7) Podophyllum chengii 'Hunan' again. Better lighting.
    8) Helleborus lividus corsicus. This one still looking fine, though the new growth is almost full height. In bloom they grow to waist height. Love them! Keep lots of them.
    9) Asarum proboscideum. The lovely 'mice' peeking out.
    10)Podophyllum 'Spotty Dotty' (Sorry for the repeats of the same plants - don't want to have to edit the numbering on the labelling. ; )
    11) Podophyllum 'Spotty Dotty' blooming, again
    12) Informally, Paeonia Bessie Chambers
    13) Pseudoacacia robinia 'Frisia' The neighbours behind me hope this one has maxed out. Not me yet.
    14) Malus 'Van Eseltine' (Achingly beautiful, to me.)
    15) Springtime streetscape

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    pmurphy and Acerholic like this.
  23. pmurphy

Never heard of buffalo in Vancouver but I did discover they were in Stanley park,
    When There Were Bison in Stanley Park

Gwen Miller and Acerholic like this.
  24. Acerholic

Gwen Miller likes this.
  25. wcutler

Gwen Miller likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.