Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Nik

Nik Contributor

Shirazz, which was stepped upon and broken in late winter (not by an animal, a delivery man). It was too close to our front door... I learned my lesson. I put it in a pot and it seems to be still alive.
    Sisyrinchium angustifolium (blue-eyed grass) amongst small sedum.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Nik, Give them a chance and they do their best to survive. Great photos Nik.

3. Acerholic

@Nik OK Nik, all I can muster with animals this morning. Just about how dangerous it gets where I live.

Attached Files:

zfrittz, monicasanchez and Nik like this.
  4. Nik

Nik Contributor

Hi Acerholic,
    We mostly get wood ducks in the area, and the turkeys are a regular visitor. (Sorry, don’t take it as a competition). I find all wildlife lovely, I just have reservations about the critters that damage maples and other plants..

Attached Files:

zfrittz, Acerholic and monicasanchez like this.
  5. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    Hi.

Sorry I don't say names, I'm watching the forum from my mobile and my memory doesn't help either. But to say that, what a wonder of trees!

Of course, the climate is decisive for a plant to live well (and not only survive). One of my hopes is to go live in the UK, in order to have a garden full of maples hahaha (well, and for the wonderful landscapes you have there too).

Acerholic, here in Mallorca we have several days with temperatures close to 30 degrees Celsius maximum, and about 15-18 degrees Celsius minimum. It is the prelude to summer. Maybe they need a fan (just kidding, of course hehe).

By the way, I have also noticed that dissectum better withstand heat. Palmatum is going well, but not so much. I upload an image of my Shirazz.

20200519_172247.jpg

zfrittz, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  6. Acerholic

@monicasanchez, Hi Monica, yes that's the point I was hoping to make, that the dissectum's IMO do better in the heat.
    I hope your Shirazz does well. Next Spring you should see wonderful varigated pinks.
    Make sure you remember to post it.

D

monicasanchez likes this.
  7. Acerholic

@Nik , sorry Nik mine are cuter LOL

Nik likes this.
  8. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Most of my seedlings go through an unprotected winter test. I'm thinking about changing it up this year. First pic, are last year survivers. Second pic is some of this year seedlings. They will go in the the garage to over winter and see what survive unprotected 2021-22 winter.

Acer circinatum 'Baby Buttons'
    Acer shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon'
    Acer palmatum 'Beni Otake'
    Rhododendron 'Dandy Man'
    Acer palmatum 'Aoyagi' and Rhodie 'DM'
    Acer palmatum 'Jiro Shidare' with Shasta Daisy's taking over
    Beautiful Irises are blooming
    Acer palmatum 'Summer Gold'

The temp in northeast US is mid to high 70s.

Attached Files:

sun, zfrittz, monicasanchez and 8 others like this.
  9. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Wow, that is amazing Nik. I wouldn't have thought you could have wildlife like that so far south. Except for the turtles.

Here's some of the ferocious Long Island critters I have to deal with. A gigantic gastropod and a wolverine, I think.

Oh wait, it's just Harry. Plus some Autumn Moon, Ariadne, Baldsmith and assorted other stuff.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    sun, Cjart, zfrittz and 5 others like this.
  10. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

High 68˚ here today so I gravitated to the shade, kinda funny to me now as I lived in the tropics for 35 years.
    DSCN8210.jpg DSCN8189.jpg

a few steps further
    DSCN8204.jpg

monicasanchez, Nik and AlainK like this.
  11. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, good morning D, that is a lot of seedlings, I think they are so much fun. I bet finding room for them all is a bit of a headache though !!!? Lol

Great photos D

D

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  12. Acerholic

@wind-borne , good morning G, what perfect conditions for your maples and for you of course. Think we may all be searching for the shade this Sumner.

13. Acerholic

@dangerine49, good morning J and what a wolverine he is too. Your trees are safe with Harry around !!?
    Your Autumn moon is so vivid, hope the heat doesn't get to it too much as the Shirasawanum's do suffer when it's hot.
    Have enjoyed yours, @LoverOfMaples and @wind-borne to wake up to this morning, thanks all.

14. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Gm @Acerholic. D, they are fun until you get 80 to 95% germination success, lol. Then transplanting them all. OMG! I really went over board this year, lol. But over all, I love it.

Acerholic likes this.
  15. Acerholic

@LoverOfMaples, lol yes agreed D, but they can make lovely gifts to friends and family.
    My children's faces when I present them with yet another seedling is quite different from when they got their first from me, lol

Cjart likes this.
  16. Nik

Nik Contributor

Shin deshojo leafing out in late April. I had trouble capturing the intense deep pink color.

Attached Files:

17. Nik

Nik Contributor

Shin deshojo in midsummer last year, beginning to bronze and being eaten by insects.

Attached Files:

zfrittz and AlainK like this.
  18. Acerholic

@Nik, good morning Nik, That's one 'beautiful' photo, you captured it brilliantly.
    I love close ups!!!

D

19. Acerholic

@Nik , this is my Shindeshojo changing now.

Attached Files:

20. Nik

Nik Contributor

Acerholic, this is beautiful! I love the subtlety of your color change. Mine is in full sun pretty much all day and doesn’t show these gentle pastel colors. Beautiful!

21. Acerholic

The sun is shining and it's pretty warm already. Here are some of mine that are changing rapidly. Ruby Stars, Tsuma Beni, Moonrise, Grandma ghost, Coral pink,( showing some leaf burn already), Beni Maiko x 2 and Wills Devine

Attached Files:

zfrittz, Nik, monicasanchez and 4 others like this.
  22. monicasanchez

monicasanchez Active Member Maple Society

Mallorca, Spain (38ºC maximum/-2ºC minimum)
    What a good "wild" company you have some hehe

Today I show:

Acer opalus, one of the few maples that grow in Spain.
    Acer japonicum "Aconitifolium"
    Acer palmatum "Beni maiko"

And a couple of photos of my young garden, with fauna included :)

20200529_165326.jpg 20200529_170601.jpg 20200529_170616.jpg 20200529_170917.jpg 20200529_170936.jpg 20200529_171354.jpg

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  23. Acerholic

@monicasanchez, Hi Monica, young gardens are exciting, placing new trees and plants, experimenting with new species. Great fun !!
    Enjoyed your photos immensely thankyou.
    Another wild animal enters the thread. Looks ferocious, lol

D

monicasanchez likes this.
  24. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

My Shin has pretty much turned

Attached Files:

25. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

What about Acer monspessulanum, the "Montpellier maple", with two Ls, like the city on the Mediterranean coast, not with one L like the capital of Vermont ?

Here, they're endemic in the Mediterranean area and along the southern part of the Atlantic coast, but they can thrive in other places south of the Loire valley ("pays de langue d'oc"), including where I live too (northern part of France, pays de langue d'oïl, USDA zone 8)

Here's one in my garden, from a seedling I collected many years ago, against a wall that is at least 2.50 metres high.

March 2016 :

acerm._160326a.jpg

Today (until this year, it was regularly pruned) :

acerm._200527a.jpg

LoverOfMaples, Cjart, zfrittz and 4 others like this.