Crispy cedar with curled leaves

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by A Baker, May 16, 2020.

1. A Baker

A Baker New Member

Hi there, my cedars are very crispy and kind of pale/yellow with curled leaves. I’m not sure if this is due to a hot spring and not enough water, or if I overwatered them. Can someone please take a look at this pic and give me some insight?

The soil around the rots is wet so I’m guessing the latter, but I also watered a few times over the last week with a spray hose. Is there any way to save my trees? I removed brown branches from the interior and raked them away from the base. Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi,

I'm afraid crispy is not a good word to be using when describing conifers. If they are dry throughout (and no living green tissue apparent), then they are goners.

3. ryanskarma

ryanskarma New Member

sorry A but I've never seen a tree recover from this condition. Cedars are usually late to show problems and they are typically difficult to reverse when they appear. good luck but definitely don't water anymore. established cedars are usually quite drought tolerant unless in a very hot climate (90+ F) for more than 8 hours a day.